Chapter 3, Slide A - Communication Disorders: General Information
A. Definition of communication disorders
"Anything which interferes with the act of communication, or distracts
from the communication process."
B. Prevalence of disorders
- Speech (articulation): K-4: 12-15%, 5-8: 4-5%, Above 8 - Not good reports, less than 4%
- Hearing impaired: School age: 3-5%, Adults: .5-1.5%
- Voice: Children and adults: .3-1.5%
- Fluency: School age: 1-4%, Adults: 2.-.4%
- Language: Difficult to assess because other disorders (such as hearing, mental retardation, etc., have associated language deficits).