Chapter 2, Slide F - Importance of Communication in Society
D.The miracle of speech
2. Speech Production
- b. Phonation: Overlay function of swallowing. Provides the sound source for most speech.
- c. Articulation: Overlay function of mastication. Includes lips, teeth, tongue, hard palate, soft palate, and jaw. The way specific sounds are shaped.
3. Role of the nervous system
- a. Coordinates efforts of respiration, phonation, and articulation
- b. Hierarchy: cortex, subcortical areas, motor nervous system
- c. Parallel and serial activity in the brain
- d. Left side serial/language, right side parallel/visuo-spatial.