Welcome to the Dead Day Grade Calculator! I made this simple tool so that people could find out what grade they need on their final to get the grade they want in the class. This calculator can be either rather reassuring, or pretty depressing, so use at your own risk!
The calculator assumes a few things, which may or may not be good for you.
- First of all, it assumes you know your final average for every other assignment/test/whatever in your class. Your professor should be able to provide this for you... maybe?
- Also, you need to know how much the final is "weighted". Check your syllabus. For convenience, the calculator asks for the weight in percent (%), so don't put in any fractions or decimals. If your final is weighted for 1/3 of your final grade, use 33.333 for your grade.
- Yeah, in fact, make sure you use percents for everything. Sorry, I know some professors don't like computing your grade as a percent average until the end... but I don't like coding programs any more complicated than this one, so yeah. :-(
- The calculator thinks 89.5 rounds up to an A. If your professor doesn't round up decimals before giving a letter grade... well, try to get an extra question or two right on your final.
- And on that note, those of you on a 7-point scale, or something similarly stupid, should use the "desired grade" field to tell the calculator what number grade you need to get the letter grade you want in that course. Yeah, I guess you can always put 90 in that box and find out how to get a normal A without rounding up, too.
Of course, I should mention that I make no guarantee as to the accuracy of the calculator. In my experience, if anything the professor might give you a higher grade than what this calculator says you've earned... but I'm in mathematics, where the professors are mostly not evil.
I hope the calculator helps you when studying for your finals... or rather, figuring out how much you can slack off from studying for finals. If you have any questions or comments, shoot me an email at email@example.com and I'll try and get back to you, provided you aren't just trying to sell me some pharmaceutical male enhancement Nigerian pyramid scheme.