Are You Really a Christian
- Do you believe, without doubt in the existence of a supreme,
self-existent, uncreated God?
- Do you believe in the Holy Scriptures as the Word of God?
- Do you believe in Jesus as the Son of God, the Christ?
- Do you believe in His resurrection?
- Do you believe in the resurrection of all humans to a state of holiness
- Do you believe in the paternal character of God, that He is your Father,
and the Father of all people?
- Do you believe all these things?
People are apt to be deceived in regard to what they
believe. We will therefore put the reader upon a plan, by which he may
determine with some considerable degree of certainty, whether he is really
a Christian Universalist.
It is well for us to try ourselves frequently by these rules.
- Do you reverence God? If you do not, you have not a full faith in His
existence, and, therefore, you are not a Christian Universalist.
- Do you read the Bible? Do you take comfort in this exercise? Are its
teachings to you like cold water to a thirsty soul? If not, you do not
believe this book to be a revelation from God, and, of course, are not a
- Do you love the Savior? Are you always desirous to follow His example
and practice His precepts? If not, you do not believe that He is the Son
of God, and, of course, are not a Christian Universalist.
- Have you a strong hope of immortality? Does this hope support you and
comfort you in the view of death? Does it enable you to say, "O death,
where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?" If not, you must have
a lurking unbelief about you, and you are at best but a doubting
- Have you a filial confidence in God? Do you love Him with all the
heart, the mind, the might, the strength? If not, you do not believe He
is your Father, and, of course, you are not a Christian Universalist. If
you believe He is your Father, you will love Him with your whole soul.
- Do you treat your fellow-creatures as your brethren? If not, you do
not believe that God is the Father of all people, and, of course, you are
not a Christian Universalist.
Who is a Christian Universalist?
A Christian Universalist is one
- who believes in a God of infinite wisdom, and unbounded love and
- who believes that Jesus Christ is His Son, and the Savior of the world,
- who believes in the record which God has given of His Son,
- who believes that God will overcome all evil with goodness, and who
labors to overcome evil himself, in the same way,
- who loves God supremely, and his neighbors with brotherly affection,
as he is required to do. He does unto others as he would that others
should do unto him.
- He is patient under suffering, comforted under affliction, undismayed
under the prospect of death, and filled with joy unspeakable and full of
glory, in believing that all the ends of the earth shall see the
salvation of God, that the whole creation will be delivered from the
bondage of corruption, and translated into the glorious liberty of the
children of God.
Yes, A Christian Universalist is a believer in
God as the Creator, Preserver, Benefactor, Judge, and Savior of all men.
He is a believer in Jesus, as "the Mediator between God and Men," unto
Whom, at last, "every knee shall bow, and whom every tongue shall confess
to be Lord, to the glory of God the Father." Such is the
"Christian Universalist faith!