Writing a Submission for This Week @ AU
Tips for Writting a Submission
- Save old submissions to use as templates for future events. Remember, there is no need to reinvent the wheel for every event.
- Submit blurbs no later than the Wednesday to ensure it runs in the following Monday’s email.
Click here to submit a blurb.
- To submit a picture or logo with the event, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Always send a submission with a heading or subject.
- Begin with the most important information. Ex: Tickets are still available.
- When, where should be answered first.
- Months are usually abbreviated: Jan., Feb., March, April, June, July, Aug., Sept., Oct., Nov., Dec.
- Spell out the name of your department or program in the first sentence: i.e. BSU, FLP, UPC.
- Avoid using abbreviations such as AUSC for Student Center. Spell out all words so there is no confusion or misunderstandings between the message and the audience.
- Do not capitalize ballroom.
- Times should be written as 8 p.m., 7:30 a.m., etc. Do not add :00.
- Include links in parentheses after the word: i.e. website (auburn.edu/upc) or Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/AUWelcomeWeek).
- Be concise, but include all needed information.
Example Unedited and Edited Submissions
Auburn Tigers will be partnering with the Alabama Crimson Tide to show the 2014 Iron Bowl at the Carmike movie theatre on Wednesday, August 16. Tickets will go on sale at 7:00 p.m. and the game will begin at 8:00 p.m. Attendees can wear their favorite school color. The theatre is located on Opelika Rd. There will be no alcohol allowed at the event. Sportsmanship is required, but strong ‘War Eagles’ are encouraged.
Edited for This Week @ AU:
Heading: Auburn and Alabama hosting 2014 Iron Bowl viewing
Auburn University and the University of Alabama will host a viewing of the 2014 Iron Bowl on Wednesday, Aug. 16, at 8 p.m. Tickets to the viewing will be available beginning at 7 p.m. Attendees should wear their favorite school’s colors. The theatre is located on Opelika Road. There will be no alcohol allowed at the event. Sportsmanship is required.
The AU Hotel will host a Christmas Gingerbread House Village tour on Tuesday, December 25 at 7 p.m., an event designed to allow visitors to come and enjoy a night of Christmas cheer in the Hotel Ballroom. The Gingerbread village is comprised of hundreds of hand-made gingerbread houses that are sure to WOW even Scrooge. Children and adults are invited. Entry is $10.00 for adults and $5.00 for kids. Arricia will be selling hot chocolate and cookies for guests.
Edited for This Week @ AU:
Heading: Auburn Hotel and Conference Center hosting Christmas gingerbread house village tour.
The Auburn University Hotel and Conference Center will host a Christmas gingerbread village tour on Tuesday, Dec. 21, at 7 p.m., an event designed to allow visitors to come and enjoy a night of Christmas cheer with their family. The Gingerbread village is comprised of hundreds of hand-made gingerbread houses that are sure to amaze both young and old. Entry is $10 for adults and $5 for children under the age of 12. Arricia will be providing hot chocolate and cookies for guests.