Student Services

Housing and Residence Life

Auburn University offers a variety of on-campus housing accommodations for students. There are 23 residence halls and 348 apartments to house single undergraduate students and 157 apartments for graduate students and students with families. All facilities are air-conditioned and convenient to academic buildings, libraries, cafeterias, laundries, mail rooms and recreational areas.

Single Undergraduate Housing
The residence halls, with the exception of Noble Hall, located on W. Magnolia Ave., are clustered in two communities. Ten residence halls comprise the Quad community and 12 are located in the Hill community. The Quad houses men and wimen in single-sex and coed arrangements while the Hill houses women only. Each Quad and Hill residence hall contains suites consisting of two double rooms (two rooms with two students sharing each room) with connecting bath. A limited number of single rooms with provate or semi-private bath are also available. Rental rates for the Hill and Quad residence halls are as follows: Quad - $680 (double) and $815 (single) per student per quarter. Hill - $670 (double) and $800 (single) per student per quarter.

Noble Hall offers a coed housing arrangement consisting of single rooms with a central bath(s) on each floor. A common lobby area joins men's and women's wing. Quarterly rent is $620 per quarter.

The Extension (CDV Extension Apartments) provides accommodations for men and women in two-bedroom, four-person (same sex) apartments. Quarterly rent is $530 per student.

The Village (CDV) houses men and women in one- (single occupancy) and two-bedroom (double occupancy) apartments. Quarterly rent is $695-$745 for a one-bedroom unit and $625 per student for a two-bedroom unit.

All single undergraduate housing units (rooms and apartments) are furnished with beds, desks, chairs and chest of drawers. Most residence halls have community kitchens and all have common lobby/lounging areas. The apartments also contain living and/or dining furniture and kitchens are furnished with stove, oven and refrigerator (a limited number contain microwave ovens). Students bring their own linens and other furnishings to personalize their rooms or apartments. All utilities except telephone (and electricity in the one-bedroom village apartments) are included in the rent. Basic cable service is also included in the rent. Telephone and data connection (online computer access) jacks are located in each room/apartment and, for a monthly fee, either service can be activated through the University's Division of Telecommunications and ETV.

Housing for students with disabilities is available in the Quad, Hill and Extension communities. Four residence halls in the Quad house Honors students (intermingled with non-Honors students) and an Honors Center is located in one of these halls. Students accepted into the Honors College must specifically request the Honors halls on the housing application if they wish to be considered for assignment to one of these halls.

Families and Graduate Students
In addition to housing single undergraduates, the Village also accommodates graduate students and students with families. Offering the same one- and two-bedroom arrangements, rental rates are as follows: one-bedroom (quarterly rent) - $670 unfurnished; $695 unfurnished.

Two-bedroom (monthly rent) - $300 - $325 unfurnished; $310 - $335 unfurnished. Rates include all utilities (including basic cable service) except telephone and electricity (heat is included in the rent).

All University Housing rental rates listed above are subject to change. Any rate increase will be announced prior to the cancellation date for the quarter the Housing agreement is to begin. Rent for apartments in the Village and Extension includes holidays and quarter breaks. The residence halls do no remain open during Thanksgiving and quarter breaks.

Admission to Auburn University does not automatically include a room or apartment reservation in University Housing. Students may apply for University Housing once they are excepted to the University and priority for housing is generally based upon the date the application is received (entering Summer applicants have priority over entering Fall applicants). A $100 refundable deposit and a $15 non-refundable application fee is required with application.

Residential Staff
The residence halls and the Extension are staffed with graduate-level Hall Directors and undergraduate Resident Assistants (RAs). They undergo an extensive training program and are responsible for offering cultural, recreational and educational activities. They also enforce University Housing regulations. The Village is staffed with an Apartments Manager and undergraduate- and graduate-level Community Assistants (CAs), who provide services for those residents.

Resident Life Involvement
Living on campus provides an "open door" to involvement in campus life. Through participation in Hall Council, RHA (Residence Hall Association) and other residence life activities, students encounter numerous opportunities that can contribute to their personal and academic growth. All they need do is take advantage of all that residence life has to offer.

Off-Campus Housing
Housing accommodations, such as apartments, duplexes, mobile homes, fraternity houses and privately-owned dormitories are available in the greater Auburn-Opelika community. The University neither inspects nor approves any off-campus housing. A listing of off-campus housing facilities can be obtained at various on-campus locations including the Housing and Residence Life office.

Food Services

Auburn University Food Services is a non-profit organization supported entirely by food sales in the various Food Services operations located on campus. The individual operations, varying in size and composition, offer a wide variety of services to meet the needs of students, as well as faculty, staff, and visitors to the Auburn campus. All services offered to students are strictly on a voluntary basis and are available to students living both on and off campus. A brief synopsis of each unit's location and services follows:

War Eagle Food Court, in Foy Union, offers a wide variety of food choices for breakfast, lunch, dinner and evening study breaks. The War Eagle also houses the University Faculty Club and is responsible for all campus catering.

Terrell Dining Complex, in the Hill residence hall, offers a variety of dining options including a traditional cafeteria line, an open-late snack bar, our Hill Restaurant and our Li'l Eagle convenience store.

The Village Kitchen, in the CDV Extension apartment village, is a fully stocked on-campus grocery convenience store featuring a take-out snack bar and late hours.

Take Ten, on the ground floor of Haley Center, is a contemporary fast-food operation featuring chicken breast sandwiches, chicken fingers, broiled sirloin burgers, fries, salads and beverages. Perfect for between class meals!

Dow-Deli, on the ground floor of the Quad's Dowdell Hall, offers deli and convenience store items featuring make-your-own pizzas and sandwiches.

Sewell Cafeteria, adjacent to Sewell Dormitory, is a buffet cafeteria operated by Food Services for the residents of the Sewell Dormitory.

Meal Plan - The Chef's Club - Students may become members of the Chef's Club, Food Services meal plan. As members of the Chef's Club, students may choose between a pre-payment plan or a charge plan. The pre-payment plan or "declining balance plan'' allows the student to pay in advance, and budget that amount through the quarter. The charge plan offers students the convenience of charging their meals in any of the food service operations located on campus. There is a yearly membership fee for students joining the charge ascending plan.

Students may receive credit approval by furnishing a parent's notarized signature as co-signer or by furnishing two credit references. Chef's Club charges are billed on a monthly basis and the total amount must be paid in accordance with the Bursar's billing schedule.

Many students who join the Chef's Club have a charge account for the first time. Chef's Club card holders need to be aware that charges can accumulate rapidly and all charges have to be paid. However, students soon learn that, with common sense and discretion, having a Chef's Club card can be both fun and educational.

Additional information about the Chef's Club may be obtained from The Tiger Club Accounts, located in the Food Service Administration Building, Auburn University, AL 36849, Telephone: 844-1220.

Cash is accepted at all food operations located on campus. However, one advantage of a Chef's Club card or meal plan is that the student does not have to worry about carrying cash at all times during the quarter.

Student Health Services

Auburn University Medical Clinic is committed to providing a full range of primary care services for Auburn students including initial diagnostic services for illnesses and injuries, immediate and follow-up assessment and treatment for most short-term illnesses and preventative care services, including immunization and women's health services. Services are provided on an appointment basis. Walk-ins will be evaluated and given appointments or seen immediately based on the urgency of the problem or condition. The newly-renovated facility includes laboratory, X-ray, pharmacy, therapy/rehabilitation center and a vision/optical center. The clinical staff consists of fully licensed and Board certified physicians, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, technicians and other support staff. Services are provided on a fee-for-service basis with on-site billing services provided to students to facilitate insurance reimbursement. Major credit cards and Tiger Club are accepted and payment plans, including the Tiger Care Plan, are available. Services are available to all Auburn students, spouses and dependents, faculty, staff, guests and visitors.

Acute Care - treatment of medical problems, including minor surgery, suturing of lacerations, removal of ingrown toenails, etc.

Allergy Services - available all day every day of the week to administer allergy injections to students with instructions from their personal physicians. Serum can be sent to 307 W. Magnolia Ave., Auburn University, AL 36849-5349. We also offer on-site allergy skin and RAST testing.
Immunizations and Vaccinations - administration of various immunizations and vaccinations, such as the flu shot, tetanus shots, Hepatitis A and B shots, TB skin testing, typhoid and polio, measles, mumps and rubella, and various travel immunizations required for travel out of the country.

Women's Health (gynecology clinic) - available to students with women's health concerns. Providers are capable of performing GYN exams, counseling and prescribing of birth control, morning after contraception and referral of pregnancy alternatives, as well as diagnosis and treatment of STD?s, all in a confidential setting. The main women?s health provider is also colposcopy trained, and the center is equipped with a colposcope.

Specialty Care (orthopedic, dermatology, health education, nutrition, personal assessment/counseling) - offered on an as needed basis. While most care is provided on-site, if patient need exceeds the capacity of the clinic, referrals are made.

Laboratory Services - moderately complex CLIA certified on-site laboratory staffed by licensed medical technologists who can perform routine testing during visits.

Radiology/X-ray Services - service for on-site x-rays, which are reviewed by a licensed radiologist. Copies are available when referrals are made.

Optical Services - full range of optical services, including routine eye exams, contact lens fittings and availability of a wide variety of modern frames and lenses are provided by team of local professionals in an on-site facility.

Pharmacy Services - state-of-the-art pharmacy located in the clinic and operated by the School of Pharmacy, utilizes a computerized robot for dispensing and confidential counseling rooms for educational needs with regard to medications.

Physical Therapy/Rehab Services - on-site center operated and staffed by Health South.

Student Insurance - The Student Government Association (SGA) sponsors an Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan, available to registered undergraduate and graduate students, spouses and dependents. The plan provides good coverage at reasonable premium rates. Coverage is provided for services at the Auburn University Medical Clinic, including physician visits, laboratory and X-ray services. The SGA sponsored insurance plan or its equivalent is required for all international students and recommended for all students. For information or issues regarding claims, call 334/749-5858.

Hours of Operation - Monday 8 a.m.- 6 p.m.; Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday 8 a.m.- 5 p.m.; Thursday 9 a.m.- 6 p.m.; Saturday 10 a.m.- 2 p.m. (Hours are subject to change). To make an appointment, call 844 -4416.

Student Success Center

The Student Success Center consists of four major program areas that follow a student from the time they attend orientation as an incoming freshman to the time they are assisted in being placed in a job upon graduation, with many developmental activities in between. The objective is to provide programs and activities that promote the academic, personal and career success of students that lead to higher retention and graduation rates of AU students.

Freshman Year Experience and Students in Transition provides programs to help the new student make the transition into Auburn University life. These programs promote intellectual and social development leading to personal and academic success. Camp War Eagle is Auburn's summer orientation experience for incoming freshmen and their parents. New Student Quarterly

Orientation is held for all new and transfer students who do not attend Camp War Eagle during the summer. The Auburn Experience, UNIV 0100, is an academic course for freshmen which introduces the student to AU, its resources and academic strategies for success. The Returning Adult Students and Students with Dependents program assists adult students and students with children as they make the transition into the college environment. For assistance, call 344/844-4501.

Academic Support Services help AU students successfully achieve their academic goals. The Study Partners Program offers free tutoring services to AU students enrolled in selected undergraduate subjects, and is offered Sunday-Thursday nights in the Haley Center basement lounge. Another program is Supplemental Instruction, a peer-facilitated academic assistance program that targets certain traditionally difficult courses. Regularly scheduled SI sessions are open to all students in the targeted class. Individual and group instruction are provided to students experiencing academic difficulty and to those who desire to improve their study skills. Academic resources and individual assistance with study concerns are available. Testing services are also available for students, including such national tests as ACT, AST, GRE and CLEP. For assistance, call 344/844-5972.

Student Counseling Services ­ Counselors and psychologists are available for short-term individual and on-going group counseling to address the emotional/developmental concerns of students. Educational workshops are offered to the campus community. Students needing long-term psychotherapy or 24-hour crisis management are provided an appropriate referral. For assistance, call 344/844-5123.

Career Development Services offers career counseling and job search assistance to students at various stages of their college experience. Counselors administer and interpret interest and personality inventories, review and edit resumés, conduct mock interviews and provide information/assistance to students through a career resource library, seminars and Internet job linkages. A comprehensive placement office coordinates internship and full-time employment interviews on-campus and through interactive video and maintains a student resumé referral database. Career Fairs and Graduate & Professional School Days are hosted annually to offer students the opportunity to explore work and further school options. For assistance, call 344/844-4744.

Student Life

Student Communications - The following media are subject to supervision by the Board of Student Communications: The Auburn Circle, a general interest magazine; Glomerata, the yearbook issued each spring; The Auburn Plainsman, the weekly student newspaper; Tiger Cub, annual student handbook; WEGL-FM, the student operated campus radio station.

The Foy Student Union - The focal point for co-curricular student activities and other campus programs. Housed within the confines are The Auburn Plainsman, Glomerata, WEGL-FM, SGA, Greek Life Office, University Program Council, Panhellenic, Eagle Eye (TV), Black Student Union, International Student Organization, Panhellenic, Tiger Cub, The Auburn Circle, War Eagle Cafeteria, Minority Advancement Office, Tiger Club Accounts, I.D. Center, Computer Connections, a microcomputer lab, game room, 24-hour computer lab, copy center, Gift Shop, exhibit gallery, lost and found service, automated teller machine, several lounge areas, a large screen TV, and an assortment of meeting and banquet facilities. A University-wide information center, a calendar of events and a Ticket-Link machine are maintained by the Union staff.
Langdon Hall - This auditorium is located next to historic Samford Hall and has a capacity for about 500 people. This is the site of the weekly UPC free movie. It may be reserved for University-related events by contacting the Reservations Coordinator at 844-1303.
James E. Martin Aquatics Center - Provides two swimming pools for use by Health and Human Performance classes, intercollegiate athletics, intramural and club sports, students, faculty, staff and community members. Programs and events are planned and staffed to provide a healthy and safe aquatic environment. For information regarding programs and hours of operation, call 844-4182.

The University Chapel - Located on the corner of South College Street and Thach Avenue, is open on weekdays for students, faculty, and staff. It is used for prayer and meditation. The Chapel may be reserved for weddings, religious and certain other University events by contacting Foy Student Union at 844-1300.

The University Program Council - Serves as a clearing house for campus programs as well as providing a wide range of programs and entertainment through the following committees: Fine Arts, Major Entertainment, Horizons, Publicity, Special Events, Outdoor Recreation, Indoor Recreation, Films, Religious Affairs, Publications, Production, Volunteerism, Eagle Eye and Public Relations. The experience acquired in planning and executing these programs offers students the opportunity to enhance their personal growth and leadership development.

Recreational Services - The University offers a well-rounded program providing students, faculty and staff with recreational, health and fitness opportunities through intramural sports, informal recreation (free play), sports clubs and fitness programming. The mission of Recreation Services is to assist the University community in developing a lifestyle that encourages development of lifetime patterns for healthful living.

Music, Theatre and Lectures - Classical concerts, touring play productions, lectures by political figures, news commentators, specialists and prominent scholars, traveling and local shows at the art galleries, opera, ballet and films are among the special events of the year at the University. Many of these activities are free.

The University Concert Choir, the Gospel Choir, Men's Chorus, University Singers, Women's Chorus, the Marching and Concert Bands, the University Symphony Orchestra, the Opera Workshop and other specialized ensembles offer opportunities for those who want to perform in musical groups.

Eight or nine productions annually are offered by the AU Theatre. Students are welcome to audition for any production, but priority in casting is given to theatre majors and minors.
The Auburn Studio of the Alabama Public Television Network produces programs which are seen throughout the state on the Alabama Educational Television network. WEGL-FM is the campus radio station, operated by students.

Discipline - Auburn University establishes and enforces only those rules and regulations for conduct as are needed to maintain the well-being of the individual student and the University community. The student, by registering at the University, agrees to conform with its regulations. The student is subject to disciplinary action for violating any section of the Code of Student Discipline, which appears in full in the student handbook, the Tiger Cub. Enrollment in no way exempts any student from penalty in case of conviction by public authorities for commission of an illegal act.

Student Government Association

Upon enrollment at Auburn University, each student becomes a member of the Student Government Association, the official organization of the student body. The SGA is the voice of the students, promoting cooperation and communication with the faculty, administration, the Auburn City Council, and the state legislature. The SGA also promotes the social and academic life of Auburn students.

The SGA is organized into three branches. Headed by the SGA President, the executive branch takes on many special projects through the Executive Cabinet. The legislative branch, the SGA Senate, is made up of representatives of each school and college. The judiciary branch makes final judgment on all decisions involving the Code of Laws. The Student Government Constitution and Laws, published in the Tiger Cub, detail the functioning of the student government.


The student handbook, Tiger Cub, available in Cater Hall and Foy Student Union, has a complete listing of the more than 300 chartered and officially recognized organizations on the Auburn campus. Most of these organizations are open to any interested student.
Among the national organizations on campus are honor societies, national recognition societies, social sororities and social fraternities.

Social Fraternities

The National Pan-Hellenic Council coordinates the activities of its member groups:

Alpha Phi Alpha, Kappa Alpha Psi, Omega Psi Phi, and Phi Beta Sigma.

The Interfraternity Council coordinates the relationships among the member fraternities:

Alpha Gamma Rho, Alpha Kappa Lambda, Alpha Psi, Alpha Tau Omega, Beta Theta Pi, Chi Phi, Delta Chi, Delta Sigma Phi, Delta Tau Delta, FarmHouse, Kappa Alpha, Kappa Sigma, Lambda Chi Alpha, Phi Delta Theta, Phi Gamma Delta, Phi Kappa Tau, Pi Kappa Alpha, Pi Kappa Phi, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Sigma Chi, Sigma Nu, Sigma Phi Epsilon, Sigma Pi, Tau Kappa Epsilon, Theta Chi, Theta Xi.


The Panhellenic Council coordinates the activities of its member groups:

Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Gamma Delta, Alpha Omicron Pi, Alpha Xi Delta, Chi Omega, Delta Delta Delta, Delta Zeta, Gamma Phi Beta, Kappa Alpha Theta, Kappa Delta, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Phi Mu, Pi Beta Phi, Sigma Kappa, Zeta Tau Alpha.

The National Pan-Hellenic Council coordinates the activities of its member groups:

Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta, and Zeta Phi Beta.

Special Clinics

The Speech and Hearing Clinic of the Department of Communication Disorders, primarily a teaching facility, provides service for students with speech, hearing or language problems. These services may involve both diagnoses and treatment of problems.


The Auburn University Bookstore, owned and operated by the University, is located in Haley Center and offers a full line of new and used textbooks, course packets, computers, software and other instructional materials. Alpha Phi Omega service fraternity sponsors a nonprofit book exchange in Haley Center where students may purchase and sell textbooks. Commercial book outlets also exist in the city of Auburn.

Parking Permit Registration

It is the responsibility of students and employees of Auburn University operating a vehicle on campus to register for and display a parking permit as prescribed in the Auburn University Parking and Traffic Regulations manual.

Vehicles with Alabama State Government tags must adhere to all University traffic and parking rules and regulations pertaining to motor vehicles. State vehicles may park in designated A, B, C and R zones and in designated Loading Zones for a period not to exceed 15 minutes.

Parking permits are valid for one year beginning September 1 and ending August 31 of the next year. The registration period for employees is between July 31 and August 31. Registration during this period is conducted by mail. Normal registration for students occurs between September 1 and September 30, as well as between quarters and before classes begin.

All permit registration is conducted by the Parking and Traffic Services Office. Employees are mailed preprinted forms, which are to be returned to Parking Services along with the proper registration fee or with approval for payroll deduction. Parking and Traffic Services will return by mail the appropriate hang tag permit. All students must register for a parking permit at the Auburn University Police Department or other designated location. Office hours for permit registration are 7:15 a.m. - 4:15 p.m., Monday through Friday. All fine payments and student permit registration payments are made at the Bursar's Office, Quad Center.


AU Bulletin Table of Contents

Search the AU Bulletin

AU Bulletin Homepage

Auburn University's Homepage