Academic Policies

Undergraduate Admission Policies and Procedures

Auburn University, an equal-opportunity educational institution, does not discriminate in its admissions policy on the basis of race, color, sex, creed, handicap, age or national origin. Preference is given to the admission of Alabama residents at the undergraduate level; in considering applications to professional schools or programs with restrictive admissions policies, the length of residency in the state will be a factor.

Applications from out-of-state residents are accepted for all curricula; however, the number of non-residents admitted is determined by the availability of facilities and faculty.

Application Forms. Application forms for admission to any undergraduate school or curriculum of the University can be obtained from the Admissions Office, Attention: Records Area, Mary Martin Hall, Auburn, AL 36849-5145. Application to the Graduate School or the School of Veterinary Medicine must be made to those schools.

Process for Application. Individuals may apply for entrance to any quarter of a calendar year as early as June 1 of the preceding year. Applicants to Veterinary Medicine and Pharmacy will be admitted in the Fall Quarter only. Because of the large number of applications, credentials should be submitted as early as possible. In all cases, complete credentials along with the medical examination report must be filed at least three weeks before the quarter's opening. The University reserves the right to establish earlier deadlines should circumstances warrant. Prospective students are encouraged to apply for admission early and once admitted, to complete the enrollment process as early as possible.

Application Fee. A $25 processing fee (international application processing fee is $50) , payable by check or money order, must accompany all admission applications and is neither refundable nor applicable to other fees. Responses on the application forms and on related materials must be complete and accurate; entrance may be denied or registration cancelled as a result of false or misleading statements.

Applicants may receive provisional acceptance after they submit the application form and current academic documents. However, they must complete and return a medical examination report form provided by the University at least three weeks before the quarter opens. The University may require additional medical examinations, and it may refuse admission to individuals whose health records indicate that their health or the University community might be adversely affected by their attendance. All applicants must certify that they have registered with the Selective Service Board or that they are not required by law to register.

Each applicant must furnish satisfactory evidence of good character. The University may deny admission to those whose presence is deemed detrimental to the institution or its students.

Admission of Freshmen: Academic Criteria. Favorable consideration for admission will be given to accredited secondary school graduates whose college ability test scores and high school grades give promise of success in college courses.

Secondary school students planning to apply for admission to AU should emphasize the following high school courses: English, mathematics, social studies, sciences and foreign languages.

High school curriculum requirements

  4 years
  Mathematics  3 years
Algebra I and Algebra II  2 years
Geometry, Trigonometry, Calculus, or Analysis  1 year
Science  2 years
Biology 1 year 
Physical Science 1 year 
 Social Studies  3 years

Recommended: one additional Science, one additional Social Studies and one Foreign Language

Applicants are required to present scores from either the American College Test (ACT) or the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) of the College Entrance Examination Board. High school students may secure application forms from their principals or counselors. Scores on these tests are used as a partial basis for admission, for placement in English, chemistry, mathematics, and for awarding University scholarships and loans.

Applicants whose native language is not English are required to demonstrate proficiency in English.

Applicants of mature age who are not high school graduates may be considered for admission if their educational attainments are shown through testing to be equivalent to those of a high school graduate. The tests used include the USAFI General Educational Development Test, the American College Test and/or other tests recommended by the Admissions Committee. Applicants from nonaccredited high schools will be considered on an individual basis by the Committee.

Early Admission. Students of high academic promise may be admitted directly from the eleventh grade without a diploma. Basic requirements for early admission include:

1. Proper personal qualifications.

2. Superior competence and preparation, evidenced by the high school record and college aptitude test scores (ACT, SAT or other tests prescribed by the University Admissions Committee).

3. A letter from the high school principal assessing the applicant's emotional and social maturity and readiness for college work.

Additional information on this procedure is available at the Admissions Office.

Advanced Standing and Credit. Prospective students are advised to write the Registrar's Office at Auburn University requesting a brochure on the Advanced Placement Program.

Entering students with superior preparation or with special competence in a specific area may qualify for advanced placement or credit. Placement or credit may be granted on the basis of Advanced Placement Examinations of the College Board, International Baccalaureate scores, scores on college ability or achievement tests, departmental proficiency examinations, College Level Examination Program (CLEP) General and Subject examinations, and other evidences of experience and competence.

Students enrolled at Auburn may apply to an academic department for a Departmental Proficiency Test if they have demonstrated a reasonable basis of experience or study in the subject area. If they score a satisfactory grade on the examination, they will be eligible for placement in an advanced course and for credit in the subject. Students who have previously enrolled for the subject at Auburn are not eligible for this test in the same subject.

The amount of advanced placement credit granted in each subject area is determined by the recommendation of the academic teaching department with the approval of the student's academic dean and the Registrar.

Students transferring to Auburn who have received advanced placement credits from another institution may be awarded these credits insofar as Auburn's requirements for awarding such credits are met. Advanced placement credits may not be substituted for residency requirement.

Admission of Transfer Students. A satisfactory citizenship record, a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale on all college work attempted, and eligibility to re-enter the institution last attended are required for transfer admission. Transfer applicants who were not eligible for admission to Auburn when they graduated from high school must present a minimum of 48 quarter hours or 32 semester hours of college credit. All transfer students who have attempted 48 quarter hours or 32 semester hours of college work must have earned a cumulative 2.5 GPA in at least 30 quarter hours, or 20 semester hours, of standard academic courses as required in Auburn University's Core Curriculum, in addition to the overall 2.5 cumulative average. These 30 quarter hours, or 20 semester hours, must include at least one course in each of the following areas: English (college-level composition or literature), History, Mathematics ­ college-level algebra or higher and Natural Science with a laboratory.

Transfer applicants to Architecture, Interior Design, Interior Environments, Landscape Architecture, and Building Science must meet higher admission standards.

The Department of Consumer Affairs limits admission of transfer students to the Interior Environments (INE) curriculum, based on space available. Students from both on- and off-campus who wish to transfer into INE must submit a Statement of Intent, resumé and transcripts from all schools attended. Both on- and off-campus transfer applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale) on all collegiate work attempted. The applicant's GPA, Statement of Intent, related courses and work experience are criteria which will determine admission status. Applicants for the INE program are admitted only in the fall term.

Entrance examinations may be required of applicants transferring from colleges with which the University has had little or no experience.

Transfer Credit. For students transferring from accredited public institutions within the state of Alabama, the amount of credit for freshman and sophomore course work is governed by the Articulation and General Studies agreement. Credit for Core Curriculum English writing courses is allowed only on grades of C or better, as approved by the Discipline Committee of the Articulation and General Studies Agreement. Credit for other courses governed by this agreement is allowed with the grade of D. The maximum credit allowed for work completed in a junior college will be equivalent to one-half of the student's curriculum at Auburn but not to exceed 96 quarter hours (64 semester hours).

For student transferring from other accredited institutions, the amount of transfer credit and advanced standing allowed will be determined by the appropriate dean and the Registrar.

Students transferring from unaccredited institutions or programs may be granted provisional credit. When such credit is allowed, the final amount of credit will be determined upon completion by the student of one year of course work at Auburn University. If a C average is not achieved, the amount of credit will be reduced in proportion to the number of hours in which the student fails to earn a C average or better.

Transferring from Auburn University at Montgomery. An undergraduate enrolled at either of Auburn's campuses who wishes to transfer to the other campus will be considered a transfer student as if from any other accredited college. Because there are differences between some curricula and courses at the two institutions, transfer credit and advanced standing will be determined by the academic unit and the Registrar at the campus to which the student is moving.

Admission of Undergraduate Transient Students (Non-degree candidates enrolling for one quarter). A student in good standing in an accredited college may be admitted to the University as a transient student when faculty and facilities are available. Generally, transient students will not be admitted for the fall quarter.

To be eligible for consideration, an applicant must submit an application, an acceptable medical report and a letter of good standing bearing the signature of the Dean or Registrar of the college in which the applicant is currently enrolled.

Permission to enroll is granted for one quarter only; a transient student who wishes to re-enroll must submit a new application. Transient status does not constitute admission or matriculation as a degree candidate. The transient is, however, subject to the same fees and regulations as a regular student except for the continuation-in-residence requirements.

Admission of Unclassified Students. Admission to most undergraduate programs as an Unclassified Student may be granted on the basis of the bachelors degree from an accredited college. Unclassified Students in Engineering must also meet the grade-point-average specified for Engineering transfer students. Unclassified students must submit the same admissions credentials as transfer applicants.

Special Admission. Persons who do not meet general admission requirements for freshmen but who are judged to have potential for success may be approved for special admission. An individual interested in special admission should contact the Admissions Office.

Admission of International Students. The University welcomes admission inquiries from international students. Because of limited facilities, only those students who are academically strong will be given serious consideration for admission. The international student should be proficient in English. In all cases, English proficiency is determined by satisfactory results on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), offered by the Educational Testing Service, Box 899, Princeton, N.J., 08540, U.S.A. The student must submit satisfactory results on the Scholastic Aptitude Test of the College Entrance Examination Board, also offered by the Educational Testing Service.

International students first should send all of their academic credentials to a professional credentials evaluation agency for evaluation. If they appear qualified and show promise of success in their chosen fields of study, they will be asked to make formal application. The application must be accompanied by an application fee of $50 (not refundable). If the applicants present satisfactory academic credentials, test results, and evidence that they have sufficient funds to meet their college expenses (there is no financial assistance for undergraduate international students), they will then be sent an acceptance and the form I-20, the authorization for a student visa. International students are required to purchase the SGA-sponsored student insurance plan or provide evidence of equivalent coverage. This mandatory health insurance may be purchased upon arrival in the U.S. For further information, prospective students should write to the Admissions Office, Auburn, Alabama 36849-5145, U.S.A.

Admission of Auditors. Auditing of courses is restricted, but when faculty and facilities are available, individuals who do not seek admission for course credit may audit a lecture course or the lecture portion of a course upon approval by the Admissions Office, the dean, and the head of the department. A formal application must be filed, but the $25 application fee and the medical examination report are not required. Auditors must register and pay appropriate fees. Although listed on class rolls, auditors are not required to take part in classroom discussion, tests, examinations, or reports, and they receive no grade or credit; however, students who attend the audited course rarely or not at all will have non-attendance of the course indicated on their records.

A student enrolled in other courses for credit will be granted permission to audit a course only on the approval of the dean and the head of the department of the course involved.

Students may not change from audit to credit after classes begin, but may change from credit to audit within the first three weeks of classes. No refund of fees will be made except for changes made during the first two weeks of classes in accordance with University policy.

Admission to Graduate Standing. Admission to graduate standing is granted only by the University Graduate School. A $25 application fee is required. A bachelor's degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university and submission of satisfactory scores on the General Test of the Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) are required for Graduate School admission in all departments except Business. Applicants in Business must submit satisfactory scores on the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT). Certain departments require applicants for master's degree programs to take the GRE Subject Test. Applicants for admission to doctoral programs in some departments must submit GRE Subject Test scores also.

The undergraduate preparation of each applicant must also satisfy the requirements of a screening committee of the school or department in which the student plans to major. A student in good standing in a recognized graduate school who wishes to enroll in summer session, off-campus workshop, or short session, and who plans to return to his or her former college, may be admitted as a graduate transient. For more information, see the Graduate School section in this Bulletin.

Readmission. Students who have previously attended Auburn and who wish to re-enter must secure a registration permit from the Registrar's Office. Former students who have attended another college for at least one quarter or semester must be eligible to re-enter that institution if they desire to return to Auburn. Students who attended another institution for more than one quarter must have earned an overall C average or better since last attending Auburn to be eligible to re-enter AU. Two transcripts from the institution attended must be supplied to the Registrar.

Summer Orientation. To help entering freshmen adjust to the first quarter at the University, including scheduling of courses, Auburn provides a summer orientation program, "Camp War Eagle." Freshmen entering Fall Quarter attend sessions on campus during the summer prior to entrance. In these sessions, students meet faculty members, administrators, and student leaders, and plan with their advisors a schedule of their first quarter of college work. Other new students, including transfers, may meet with advisors during the regular registration period for the quarter in which they plan to enroll. Transfers will plan their schedules after their transcripts have been evaluated. A convocation for new students not attending summer orientation is held prior to the beginning of classes. Admission to most undergraduate programs as an Unclassified Student may be granted on the basis of the bachelors degree from an accredited college. Unclassified Students in Engineering must also meet the grade-point-average specified for Engineering transfer students. Unclassified students must submit the same admissions credentials as transfer applicants.

Accommodation Policy for Students with Disabilities

It is the policy of Auburn University to provide accessibility to its programs and activities and reasonable accommodation for persons defined as having disabilities under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Students with disabilities desiring additional information should contact the Program for Students with Disabilities, 1244 Haley Center, (334) 844-2096 (Voice/TT).

Bachelor's Degree Requirements

To earn the bachelor's degree from Auburn University students must complete the requirements of the University Core Curriculum, and they must choose a curriculum and complete its requirements and those of the college or school with at least a 2.0 average in all Auburn courses attempted, at least a 2.0 average on transfer credits accepted for their degree program, and a 2.0 average in all course work attempted in the major. These requirements are University requirements. Individual colleges, schools and departments may have higher requirements. Credits required for graduation range from 180 to 257 hours. The student's dean clears subject and non-course requirements in the curriculum; the Registrar, together with the dean's office, clears total hours, GPA, and freshman English. A list of specific courses identified as major courses in each curriculum is available in the appropriate dean's office.

Auburn University's Core Curriculum

Auburn University's Core Curriculum provides a shared learning experience to all Auburn undergraduates. To this effect, the core curriculum is based on the principles of common learning, coherence and integration. Common learning refers to a body of knowledge, skills and emphasis that will be required in every student's program. Coherence is achieved by course sequences and by providing connections among courses. Integration is accomplished through interdisciplinary courses.

The core curriculum seeks to foster the development of educated citizens through its pursuit of three goals:

The development of the student's analytical skills. Courses are designed and taught to allow students to discern significant issues and events; ask appropriate questions; approach problems; gather, synthesize and interpret information; critically analyze established positions; and use knowledge creatively for the enhancement of society.

The nurture of the student's ability to communicate. The core curriculum requires extensive reading in literature, history and the sciences. The core curriculum promotes writing by requiring courses designed for that purpose and by including writing reinforcement courses in the student's curriculum.

The encouragement of the student's appreciation for their culture and the world in which they live. The core curriculum is concerned with the natural world, human behavior, history, moral values, technology, great ideas, aesthetic relationships and society.

 CORE CURRICULUM (Honors equivalents are listed in the Honors Section.)
 Core Requirement  Course Options  Hours
 English Composition (10)  ENGL 0110 English Composition or  5
 ENGL 0112 Advanced Composition II
  History (9)  HIST 0101-0102-0103 World History or

 HIST 0121-0122-0123 Tech. and Civilization or
 UNIV 0270-0271-0272 Human Odyssey
 Literature (10)  EH 0220-0221 Great Books I & II

 Science (10)

 SCMH 0101 Concepts of Science and one laboratory science course. (SCMH 0101 may be paired with PHYS 0200, 0215 or any course listed below except BIOL 0101 and 0105).


A minimum of 10 hours in a single sequence (including labs) in biological science, chemistry, geology or physics.

Acceptable science sequences: BIOL 0101 AND 0102 or 0103 or 0106 or 0107; BIOL 0105 AND 0106 or 0107; CHEM 0101, 0102, 0103L, 0104 AND 0104L; CHEM 0103 and 0104, with labs; CHEM 0111 and 0112, with labs; GEOL 0110 and 0111; PHYS 0205, 0206 and 0207, with labs; PHYS 0220, 0221 and 0222, with labs

 Mathematics (5) At least one course from MATH 0159, 0160, 0161, 0162, 0163 or any math course for which these are a prerequisite.  
 Philosophy (5)  PHIL 0101 Introduction to Logic or

 PHIL 0102 Introduction to Ethics or
 PHIL 0201 Deductive Logic or
 PHIL 0218 Ethics and the Health Profession or
 PHIL 0219 Business Ethics
 Social Science (9)  UNIV 0101 Social Science: Society, Culture and Environment

 UNIV 0102 Social Science: Political Economy
 UNIV 0103 Social Science: Individual and Society
 Fine Arts (3)  MUSI 0273 Music Appreciation or

 THEA 0201 Introduction to the Theatre or
 ARCH 0260 Appreciation of Architecture or
 ARTS 0171 History of Art I or
 ARTS 0172 History of Art II or
 ARTS 0173 History of Art III

English Composition Requirements. Students who began collegiate study at Auburn University Fall Quarter 1998 or after must complete ENGL 0110 and 0112 (or the Honors equivalents) with a grade of C or better in each.

Students who began collegiate study at Auburn University between Fall Quarter 1991 and Summer Quarter 1998, and who will graduate Fall Quarter 1998 or later must also complete ten hours of English composition. All must complete ENGL 0110 or 0118. Students in curricula requiring a junior-level writing course must also complete ENGL 0400, 0404, or 0408 (these students should consult their advisor to determine which junior-level course their curriculum requires). Students in other curricula may complete their English composition requirement either by taking ENGL 0112 or 0120 or by taking ENGL 0400, 0404, or 0408 (students choosing to take ENGL 0400, 0404, or 0408 should consult their advisor to determine which of the three courses might be best for them).

Transfer students who began collegiate study Fall Quarter 1998 or after must meet Auburn's 10-hour freshman composition requirement. They may do so either by completing ENGL 0110 and 0112 (or the Honors equivalents) with a grade of C or better in each or by transferring writing courses taken at another institution, provided these courses are comparable in scope and coverage to ENGL 0110-0112, and provided the student has earned a C or better in these courses. If transfer students have five quarter hours or three semester hours of credit in a two-course sequence, they must complete ENGL 0112. If they have earned eight or more quarter hours or six semester hours and have met the first-year English composition requirement of the other institution, credit will be allowed for ENGL 0110-0112, provided the minimum of eight hours involves no duplication.

Transfer students who began collegiate study between Fall Quarter 1991 and Summer Quarter 1998, and who will graduate Fall Quarter 1998 or after must meet the same requirements as students who began at Auburn (see above). They may of course satisfy these requirements by transferring writing courses taken at another institution, provided these courses are comparable in scope and coverage to the writing courses offered at Auburn, and provided the students have earned a C or better in these courses. Thus, if the transfer student's curriculum requires a junior level writing course, his or her composition requirement will be one five-hour freshman composition course and one five-hour junior-level writing course, either or both of which may be transferred from another institution. If the transfer student's curriculum does not require a junior level writing course, he or she has the option of taking two freshman composition courses, or one freshman composition course and one junior-level course, which likewise may be transferred from another institution.

All transfer students should confer with their advisor concerning the composition requirement as soon as possible after enrolling at Auburn University.

Students who enter an undergraduate school at Auburn University after receiving a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution are exempt from meeting the above requirements.

All students: Any student who fails a composition course at Auburn University must repeat that course and any subsequent composition course at Auburn University (Main Campus).

Students or advisors with special questions about placement or credit for composition may call the Director of Composition at 334-844-4620.

Literature Requirements. All Auburn students must fulfill the Core Curriculum literature requirement by taking ENGL 0220-0221, Great Books I-II, or ENGL 0281-0282, Honors Great Books I-II. Completion of the freshman composition requirement and sophomore standing are prerequisites for ENGL 0220-0221; ENGL 0220 is a prerequisite for ENGL 0221.

Literature courses taken at another institution may fulfill the Core literature requirement with the following provisions:

1. As courses similar to ENGL 0220-0221, students may transfer sophomore-level literature surveys, defined by their coverage of a designated and reasonably broad historical period.

2. Students may receive Core literature credit for any combination of historical surveys, whether or not the surveys are in the same sequence.

3. Students transferring a single literature course may receive credit for ENGL 0220 only if it is the first course in a World Literature sequence. Any other single literature survey will transfer as credit for ENGL 0221; students making such a transfer must take ENGL 0220.

4. Literature courses based on genres (poetry, the short story, the novel), themes, or narrowly defined historical periods will not fulfill the Core literature requirement but are eligible for transfer as electives.

5. Freshman-level literature courses will not fulfill the Core literature requirement but are eligible for transfer as electives.

Students or advisors with special questions about placement or credit for the Core literature requirement may call the Director of Great Books at (334) 844-4620.

History Requirements. One of the purposes of the University's Core Curriculum is to give students an understanding of their culture and its backgrounds. Course sequences designed especially for this purpose are those in world history, technology and civilization and the Human Odyssey, an interdisciplinary science-humanities sequence of courses focusing on significant cultural shifts caused by discovery or invention. Native students must earn nine hours of credit in one of these sequences.

Credit in history earned at another institution may be allowed on transfer as shown below in meeting this particular requirement.

1. If transfer students have three or four hours in the first course of a broad, introductory three-course sequence in world history or western civilization or technology and civilization or U.S. history, they must complete HIST 0102 and 0103 (for world history and western civilization), HIST 0122 and 0123 (for tech. and civ.) or HIST 0202 (for U.S. history). A transfer student who has taken the last course in a similar three-course sequence would take HIST 0101 and 0102 or 0121 and 0122 or HIST 0201.

2. If transfer students have four or five quarter of credit in the first course of a broad, introductory two-course sequence in world history, western civilization or technology and civilization, or U.S. history, they must complete HIST 0103 (for world history and western civilization) or HIST 0123 (for tech. and civ.) or HIST 0202 (for U.S. history). A transfer student who has taken the last course in a similar two-course sequence would take HIST 0101, 0121 or 0201.

3. Students who have earned eight or more quarter hours in a broad, introductory world history, western civilization or technology and civilization or U.S. history courses accepted as equivalent by the Auburn University Transfer Guide for the Alabama College System (or courses of comparable topics and time periods from other states) are exempt from the history requirement of the Core Curriculum.

4. Students entering an undergraduate program at Auburn, after earning bachelors' degrees from other accredited universities, may be exempted from the history requirements unless their curricula specify one of the three sequences described in this section.

5. Students with no credit hours in history may also elect to take Human Odyssey, UNIV 0270, 0271 and 0272 to fulfill the Core Curriculum history requirement.

Oral Communication Requirement. All Auburn University bachelor's degree programs provide components to ensure competence in oral communication skills. Program information documenting oral communication components is maintained in the Office of the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs. Appropriate accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to satisfy this requirement.


Special Academic Opportunities

Academic Programs and Curricula

Student Records


AU Bulletin Table of Contents

Search the AU Bulletin

AU Bulletin Homepage

Auburn University's Homepage