Student Services

Housing and Residence Life

Auburn University offers a variety of on-campus housing accommodations for students. There are 23 residence halls and 398 apartments to house single undergraduate students. There are 124 apartments available for married and graduate students. All facilities are convenient to classrooms, laboratories, libraries, cafeterias, laundries, mail rooms and recreational areas.

Residence Halls and Single Student Apartments

Apartments for single students are located in a section of Caroline Draughon Village and the Extension. The residence halls, with the exception of Noble Hall located on West Magnolia Ave., are clustered in two areas on the campus.

The Quadrangle Community consists of: Elizabeth Harper Hall, Helen Keller Hall, Mary Lane Hall, Kate Teague Hall, Kate Conway Broun Hall, Marie Bankhead Owen Hall, Ella Lupton Hall, Letitia Dowdell Hall, Willie Little Hall, Allie Glenn Hall

The Hill Community consists of: Mollie Hollifield Hall, Stella Knapp Hall, Dixie Graves Hall, Zoe Dobbs Hall, Annie Smith Duncan Hall, Mary Boyd Hall, Camille Early Dowell Hall, Berta Dunn Hall, Marguerite Toomer Hall, Sara Sasnett Hall Hall L and Hall M.

Single student housing includes the following types of living options:

The Hill: (women) air-conditioned suites consisting of two double rooms (two rooms with two students sharing each room) with connecting bath: $635 per student per quarter. Single rooms (smaller rooms with private bath) are available: $750.

The Quad: (men and women) suites consisting of two double rooms with connecting bath: air-conditioned, renovated $635 (double) and $750 (single) per student per quarter; air-conditioned, unrenovated $595; not air-conditioned $525. The Quad residence halls are: Men ­ air-conditioned, renovated, Keller. Women ­ no air-conditioning (freshmen only), Glenn and Dowdell; air-conditioned, renovated, Little, Teague, Owen (freshmen only). Also in the Quad are the Honors Halls, Harper and Broun, housing both male and female Honors and non-Honors students. Harper and Broun are air-conditioned and renovated, and rent is $635 per student per quarter.

Lane and Lupton halls are undergoing renovation.

Noble Hall: (coed) air-conditioned, single (one person) rooms with microfridges (combination refrigerator/freezer/microwave units); community baths on each floor; common lobby area joins men's and women's wing: $570 per quarter.

The Extension (CDV Extension Apartments): All utilities except phone. Two-bedroom air-conditioned, furnished apartments housing four students: $520 per quarter per student.

The Village (CDV): See description under Families and Graduate Students.

The rents listed above are subject to change. Any rate increase will be announced prior to the cancellation date for the quarter the Housing Agreement takes effect.

Students must contact the Division of Telecommunications/ETV at (334) 844-0119 for telephone service and on-line computer access.

Housing units designed to accommodate students with disabilities are provided in certain campus residence halls and in 14 apartments at the Extension. These facilities include wheelchair ramps, specially designed bathrooms and modified furnishings.

Residents' rooms are furnished with single beds, study desks, mirrors, chest of drawers, chairs, and closets. Residents may bring other furnishings including study lamps, linens, curtains or drapes, rugs or carpet, book shelves, radios, stereos, television sets, plants, posters and small refrigerators. Residents are encouraged to bring room fans for non-air-conditioned halls, but room air-conditioners are not allowed. Most residence halls have kitchens for use by the occupants and lounges for entertaining or watching television.

Apartment communities for single students (Caroline Draughon Village and the Extension) are within walking distance of all classroom buildings and recreation and sports facilities. Extension apartments feature all-electric kitchens with eating area, two bedrooms for four students, and a bathroom. Students bring their own linens, dishes, utensils and other items to personalize and clean their apartments. Basic TV cable service is included in the rent. Ample parking areas are located adjacent to each building. Laundry facilities, TV room, study lounge, large activities room and a convenience store/deli are located within the complex.

Harper and Broun halls serve as the Honors Center and Residence Halls, housing male and female honors and non-honors students. Students who have been accepted into the Honors College and other students must specifically request Harper or Broun on the Housing Application.

The Caroline Draughon Village Community consists of one and two-bedroom apartments. Undergraduates (including freshmen), graduate and married students, live in the Village.

Families and Graduate Students

Apartments for families and graduate students are located in a section of Caroline Draughon Village. These apartments are grouped in two-story brick buildings of 8, 16 and 20 units. Each apartment has a separate outside entrance. The apartments feature all-electric kitchens, furnished living/dining rooms and bedrooms, closets, cabinets and baths with shower-tub combinations. A limited number of unfurnished apartments is available. Monthly rent includes heat, water, solid waste disposal, sewage, garbage pickup and TV cable. Electricity and telephone charges are the responsibility of the resident. Residents must contact Telecommunications/ETV (844-0119) for telephone service and on-line computer access and Alabama Power (821-7204) about electricity in the Village.

The Village (Caroline Draughon Village): phone and electricity not included.

Two-bedroom (rates are per apartment per month. If roommate is required, roommates split the rent. Graduate students and families): Window a/c unit ­ $310 furnished; $300 unfurnished. Renovated (carpet, microwave, newer ceilings and kitchen units ­ $335 furnished only. Central a/c unit ­ $365 furnished; $355 unfurnished. Undergraduate students pay $550 per quarter for a double occupancy two-bedroom apartment.

One bedroom (rates are per apartment per month. Single undergraduate or graduate students (no roommates permitted), married couples and single parents with one child pay these rates: Window a/c unit ­ $650 furnished; $625 unfurnished. Renovated (carpet, microwave, newer ceilings and kitchen units) ­ $690 furnished only.

The rents listed above are subject to change. Any rate increase will be announced prior to the cancellation date for the quarter the lease is to begin.

A reservation in University Housing is not valid unless the applicant has been admitted to Auburn University.

Admission to Auburn University does not automatically include a space in University Housing. It is the responsibility of the student to make housing arrangements either on or off campus. Housing information is sent to entering students with their provisional acceptance to the University.

Students may apply for a living space by submitting a Housing Application/Agreement, deposit and processing fee. Priority for housing is based upon the date of application and the number of quarters applied for.

The Housing Application and Agreement, when accepted, will be for a living space (apartment only, if married) in University Housing. To make a reservation, the Housing Application and Agreement must be returned to the Housing Office in Burton Hall by the appropriate deadline with $115 for the housing deposit ($100) and the application fee ($15). The deposit is a combination room reservation/damage/room clearance deposit and is not applicable to rental payment, except on cancellation as provided within the Housing Agreement. The Housing Agreement outlines conditions under which refunds may be made.

University Housing officially opens for occupancy on the day preceding registration and schedule adjustment, and closes and must be vacated by the day following graduation each quarter. Residence halls do not remain open during Thanksgiving and quarter breaks.

Rent for spaces/apartments in Caroline Draughon Village and Extension apartment communities includes holidays and between quarter breaks.

Paraprofessional Staff

Each living area is staffed with graduate-level Hall Directors and undergraduate Resident Assistants (RAs). These student advisors are selected from a large pool of applicants for their ability to effectively meet the needs of residents. They undergo an extensive training program, and are responsible for implementing cultural, recreational and educational activities and enforcing University Housing regulations. Typical activities include a faculty lecture series, study skills seminars, health and safety programs, computer instruction, peer tutoring, exercise classes, intramural sports activities, cookouts, dances and movies.

Resident Involvement Opportunities

Each hall and apartment community has a Hall Council comprised of elected residents. Hall Councils coordinate, in conjunction with staff, special educational, social, cultural and recreational activities for residents. The Residence Hall Association, made up of all on-campus residents, also plans and conducts activities and communicates residents' suggestions and concerns to the Housing and Residence Life administration.

Off-Campus Housing

Privately-owned dormitories, fraternity houses, apartments, duplexes, houses and mobile homes provide housing for students in the greater Auburn-Opelika community.

The University neither inspects nor approves off-campus housing. However, the facilities must conform to federal regulations and to the local code of health and safety regulations.

A listing of off-campus housing facilities may be obtained by writing the offices of Housing and Residence Life, Admissions or Student Affairs.

Food Services

Auburn University Food Services is a non-profit organization supported entirely by food sales in the various Food Services operations located on campus. The individual operations, varying in size and composition, offer a wide variety of services to meet the needs of students, as well as faculty, staff, and visitors to the Auburn campus. All services offered to students are strictly on a voluntary basis and are available to students living both on and off campus. A brief synopsis of each unit's location and services follows:

War Eagle Food Court, in Foy Union, offers a wide variety of food choices for breakfast, lunch, dinner and evening study breaks. The War Eagle also houses the University Faculty Club and is responsible for all campus catering.

Terrell Dining Complex, in the Hill residence hall, offers a variety of dining options including a traditional cafeteria line, an open-late snack bar, our Hill Restaurant and our Li'l Eagle convenience store.

The Village Kitchen, in the CDV Extension apartment village, is a fully stocked on-campus grocery convenience store featuring a take-out snack bar and late hours.

Take Ten, on the ground floor of Haley Center, is a contemporary fast-food operation featuring chicken breast sandwiches, chicken fingers, broiled sirloin burgers, fries, salads and beverages. Perfect for between class meals!

Dow-Deli, on the ground floor of the Quad's Dowdell Hall, offers deli and convenience store items featuring make-your-own pizzas and sandwiches.

Sewell Cafeteria, adjacent to Sewell Dormitory, is a buffet cafeteria operated by Food Services for the residents of the Sewell Dormitory.

Meal Plan - The Chef's Club - Students may become members of the Chef's Club, Food Services meal plan. As members of the Chef's Club, students may choose between a pre-payment plan or a charge plan. The pre-payment plan or "declining balance plan'' allows the student to pay in advance, and budget that amount through the quarter. The charge plan offers students the convenience of charging their meals in any of the food service operations located on campus. There is a yearly membership fee for students joining the charge ascending plan.

Students may receive credit approval by furnishing a parent's notarized signature as co-signer or by furnishing two credit references. Chef's Club charges are billed on a monthly basis and the total amount must be paid in accordance with the Bursar's billing schedule.

Many students who join the Chef's Club have a charge account for the first time. Chef's Club card holders need to be aware that charges can accumulate rapidly and all charges have to be paid. However, students soon learn that, with common sense and discretion, having a Chef's Club card can be both fun and educational.

Additional information about the Chef's Club may be obtained from The Tiger Club Accounts, located in the Food Service Administration Building, Auburn, AL 36849, Telephone: 844-1220.

Cash is accepted at all food operations located on campus. However, one advantage of a Chef's Club card or meal plan is that the student does not have to worry about carrying cash at all times during the quarter.

Student Health Services

Auburn University Medical Clinic is committed to providing a full range of primary care services for Auburn students including initial diagnostic services for illnesses and injuries, immediate and follow-up assessment and treatment for most short-term illnesses and preventative care services, including immunization and women's health services. Services are provided on an appointment basis. Walk-ins will be evaluated and given appointments or seen immediately based on the urgency of the problem or condition. The newly-renovated facility includes laboratory, X-ray, pharmacy and a vision/optical center. The clinical staff consists of fully licensed and Board certified physicians, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, technicians and other support staff. Services are provided on a fee-for-service basis with on-site billing services provided to students to facilitate insurance reimbursement. Major credit cards and Tiger Club are accepted and payment plans, including the Tiger Care Plan, are available. Services are available to all Auburn students, spouses and dependents, faculty, staff, guests and visitors.

Specialty Student Health Services:

Allergy and Immunization Services: Allergy injections are administered by our nurses at the direction of the student's own physician or allergist. The student must provide both medication and instructions. Serum can be sent to 307 W. Magnolia Ave., Auburn, AL 36849-5349. Preventative immunization services are also available to include Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR), Mantoux (PPD), Hepatitis B and Influenza (Flu) vaccinations.

Women's Health Services: Provides assessment and treatment of women's sexual health issues, contraceptive services and annual physical (gynecologic) examinations. Educational and counseling is also routinely provided in support of the clinical services.

Laboratory Services: A CLIA-certified moderate complexity laboratory is provided for diagnostic testing in support of clinical diagnosis and treatment.

X-Ray Services: On-site radiology services are available. All x-rays are received by radiologists and copies are available when referrals are made.

Pharmacy Services: A state-of-the-art pharmacy is operated by the AU School of Pharmacy. Personalized counseling about medications and health problems is provided. Any prescription can be filled and prices are competitive.

Vision/Optical Center: On-site optical services are available through East Alabama Eye Care Network. Exams, contact lenses, frames, sunglasses and optical supplies are available to the entire AU Community.

Student Insurance: The Student Government Association (SGA) sponsors an Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan, available to registered undergraduate and graduate students, spouses and dependents. The plan provides good coverage at reasonable premium rates. Coverage is provided for services at the Auburn University Medical Clinic, including physician visits, laboratory and x-ray services. The SGA-sponsored insurance plan or its equivalent is required for all international students and recommended for all students. For information or issues regarding claims, call 334/749-5858.

Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. (Hours are subject to change.) To make an appointment, call 844-4416.


Student Success Center

The Student Success Center consists of four major program areas that follow a student from the time they attend orientation as an incoming freshman to the time they are assisted in being placed in a job upon graduation, with many developmental activities in between. The objective is to provide programs and activities that promote the academic and personal success of students that lead to higher retention and graduation rates of AU students.

Freshman Year Experience and Students in Transition provides programs to help the new student make the transition into Auburn University life. These programs promote intellectual and social development leading to personal and academic success. Camp War Eagle is Auburn's summer orientation experience for incoming freshmen and their parents. New Student Quarterly Orientation is held for all new students who do not attend Camp War Eagle. The Auburn Experience, UNIV 0100, is an academic course for freshmen which introduces the student to AU and its resources. The Returning Adult Students and Students with Dependents program assists adult students and students with children as they make the transition into the college environment. For assistance, call 344/844-4501.

Academic Support Services help AU students successfully achieve their academic goals. The Study Partners Program offers free tutoring services to AU students enrolled in selected undergraduate subjects, and is offered Sunday-Thursday nights in the Haley Center basement lounge. Another program is Supplemental Instruction, a peer-facilitated academic assistance program that targets certain traditionally difficult courses. Regularly scheduled SI sessions are open to all students in the targeted class. Individual and group instruction are provided to students experiencing academic difficulty and to those who desire to improve their study skills. Academic resources and individual assistance with study concerns are available. Testing services are also available for students, including such national tests as ACT, AST, GRE and CLEP. For assistance, call 344/844-5972.

Student Counseling Services ­ Counselors and psychologists are available for short-term individual and on-going group counseling to address the emotional/developmental concerns of students. Educational workshops are offered to the campus community. Students needing long-term psychotherapy or 24-hour crisis management are provided an appropriate referral. For assistance, call 344/844-5123.

Career Development Services offers career counseling and job search assistance to students at various stages of their college experience. Counselors administer and interpret interest and personality inventories, review and edit resumés, conduct mock interviews and provide information/assistance to students through a career resource library, seminars and Internet job linkages. A comprehensive placement office coordinates internship and full-time employment interviews on-campus and through interactive video and maintains a student resumé referral database. Career Fairs and Graduate & Professional School Days are hosted annually to offer students the opportunity to explore work and further school options. For assistance, call 344/844-4744.

Student Life

Student Communications - The following media are subject to supervision by the Board of Student Communications: The Auburn Circle, a general interest magazine; Glomerata, the yearbook issued each spring; The Auburn Plainsman, the weekly student newspaper; Tiger Cub, annual student handbook; WEGL-FM, the student operated campus radio station.

The Foy Student Union - The focal point for co-curricular student activities and other campus programs. Housed within the confines are The Auburn Plainsman, Glomerata, WEGL-FM, Graduate Student Organization, SGA, Greek Life Office, University Program Council, Panhellenic, Eagle Eye (TV), Black Student Union, International Student Organization, Panhellenic, Tiger Cub, The Auburn Circle, War Eagle Cafeteria, Minority Advancement Office, Tiger Club Accounts, I.D. Center, Computer Connections, a microcomputer lab, recreation room, reading room, woodworking hobby shop, 24-hour computer lab, copy center, Gift Shop, exhibit gallery, lost and found service, automated teller machine, several lounge areas, a large screen TV, and an assortment of meeting and banquet facilities. A University-wide information center, a calendar of events and a Ticket-Link machine are maintained by the Union staff.

Langdon Hall - This auditorium is located next to historic Samford Hall and has a capacity for about 500 people. This is the site of the weekly UPC free movie. It may be reserved for University-related events by contacting the Reservations Coordinator at 844-1303.

James E. Martin Aquatics Center - Provides two swimming pools for use by Health and Human Performance classes, intercollegiate athletics, intramural and club sports, students, faculty, staff and community members. Programs and events are planned and staffed to provide a healthy and safe aquatic environment. For information regarding programs and hours of operation, call 844-4182.

The University Chapel - Located on the corner of South College Street and Thach Avenue, is open on weekdays for students, faculty, and staff. It is used for prayer and meditation. The Chapel may be reserved for weddings, religious and certain other University events by contacting Foy Union at 844-1300.

The University Program Council - Serves as a clearing house for campus programs as well as providing a wide range of programs and entertainment through the following committees: Fine Arts, Major Entertainment, Horizons, Publicity, Special Events, Outdoor Recreation, Indoor Recreation, Films, Religious Affairs, Publications, Production, Volunteerism, Eagle Eye and Public Relations. The experience students acquire in planning and executing these programs offers them the opportunity to enhance their personal growth and development.

Recreational Services - The University offers a well-rounded program providing students, faculty and staff with recreational, health and fitness opportunities through intramural sports, informal recreation (free play), sports clubs and fitness programming. The mission of Recreation Services is to assist the University community in developing a lifestyle that encourages development of lifetime patterns for healthful living.

Music, Theatre and Lectures - Classical concerts, touring play productions, lectures by political figures, news commentators, specialists and prominent scholars, traveling and local shows at the art galleries, opera, ballet and films are among the special events of the year at the University. Many of these activities are free.

The University Concert Choir, the Gospel Choir, Men's Chorus, University Singers, Women's Chorus, the Marching and Concert Bands, the University Symphony Orchestra, the Opera Workshop and other specialized ensembles offer opportunities for those who want to perform in musical groups.

Eight or nine productions annually are offered by the AU Theatre. Students are welcome to audition for any production, but priority in casting is given to theatre majors and minors.

The Auburn Studio of the Alabama Public Television Network produces programs which are seen throughout the state on the Alabama Educational Television network. WEGL-FM is the campus radio station, operated by students.

Discipline - Auburn University establishes and enforces only those rules and regulations for conduct as are needed to maintain the well-being of the individual student and the University community. The student, by registering at the University, agrees to conform with its regulations. The student is subject to disciplinary action for violating any section of the Code of Student Discipline, which appears in full in the student handbook, the Tiger Cub. Enrollment in no way exempts any student from penalty in case of conviction by public authorities for commission of an illegal act.

Student Government Association

Upon enrollment at Auburn University, each student becomes a member of the Student Government Association, the official organization of the student body. The SGA is the voice of the students, promoting cooperation and communication with the faculty, administration, the Auburn City Council, and the state legislature. The SGA also promotes the social and academic life of Auburn students.

The SGA is organized into three branches. Headed by the SGA President, the executive branch takes on many special projects through the Executive Cabinet. The legislative branch, the SGA Senate, is made up of representatives of each school and college. The judiciary branch makes final judgment on all decisions involving the Code of Laws. The Student Government Constitution and Laws, published in the Tiger Cub, detail the functioning of the student government.


The student handbook, Tiger Cub, available in Cater Hall and Foy Union, has a complete listing of the more than 300 chartered and officially recognized organizations on the Auburn campus. Most of these organizations are open to any interested student.

Among the national organizations on campus are honor societies, national recognition societies, social sororities and social fraternities.

Social Fraternities

The National Pan-Hellenic Council coordinates the activities of its member groups:

Alpha Phi Alpha, Kappa Alpha Psi, Omega Psi Phi, and Phi Beta Sigma.

The Interfraternity Council coordinates the relationships among the member fraternities: Alpha Gamma Rho, Alpha Kappa Lambda, Alpha Phi Alpha, Alpha Psi (professional), Alpha Tau Omega, Beta Theta Pi, Chi Phi, Delta Chi, Delta Sigma Phi, Delta Tau Delta, Delta Upsilon (colony), FarmHouse, Kappa Sigma, Lambda Chi Alpha, Omega Psi Phi, Phi Beta Sigma, Phi Gamma Delta, Phi Sigma Kappa, Phi Kappa Tau, Pi Kappa Alpha, Pi Kappa Phi, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Sigma Chi, Sigma Nu, Sigma Phi Epsilon, Sigma Pi, Tau Kappa Epsilon, Theta Chi, Theta Xi.


The Panhellenic Council coordinates the activities of its member groups:

Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Gamma Delta, Alpha Omicron Pi, Alpha Xi Delta, Chi Omega, Delta Delta Delta, Delta Zeta, Gamma Phi Beta, Kappa Alpha Theta, Kappa Delta, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Phi Mu, Pi Beta Phi, Sigma Kappa, Zeta Phi Beta, Zeta Tau Alpha.

The National Pan-Hellenic Council coordinates the activities of its member groups:

Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta, and Zeta Phi Beta.


Special Clinics

The Speech and Hearing Clinic of the Department of Communication Disorders, primarily a teaching facility, provides service for students with speech, hearing or language problems. These services may involve both diagnoses and treatment of problems.


The Auburn University Bookstore, owned and operated by the University, is located in Haley Center and offers a full line of new and used textbooks, course packets, computers, software and other instructional materials. Alpha Phi Omega service fraternity sponsors a nonprofit book exchange in Haley Center where students may purchase and sell textbooks. Commercial book outlets also exist in the city of Auburn.

Parking Permit Registration

It is the responsibility of students and employees of Auburn University operating a vehicle on campus to register for and display a parking permit as prescribed in the Auburn University

Parking and Traffic Regulations manual.

Vehicles with Alabama State Government tags must adhere to all University traffic and parking rules and regulations pertaining to motor vehicles. State vehicles may park in designated A, B, C and R zones and in designated Loading Zones for a period not to exceed 15 minutes.

Parking permits are valid for one year beginning September 1 and ending August 31 of the next year. The registration period for employees is between July 31 and August 31. Registration during this period is conducted by mail. Normal registration for students occurs between September 1 and September 30, as well as between quarters and before classes begin.

All permit registration is conducted by the Parking and Traffic Services Office. Employees are mailed preprinted forms, which are to be returned to Parking Services along with the proper registration fee or with approval for payroll deduction. Parking and Traffic Services will return by mail the appropriate hang tag permit. All students must register for a parking permit at the Auburn University Police Department or other designated location. Office hours for permit registration are 7:15 a.m. - 4:15 p.m., Monday through Friday. All fine payments and student permit registration payments are made at the Bursar's Office, Quad Center.


AU Bulletin Table of Contents

Search the AU Bulletin

AU Bulletin Homepage

Auburn University's Homepage