Favorite Research Sources
General Indexes and Search Engines
- Ask Jeeves! This site leads the user through a series of questions to narrow a search.
- Excite Great for broad searches. This engine can search the Web, news headlines, etc. simultaneously.
- Google This search engine scans all of the text of the pages it lists (and not just the headers). This is the search engine to use if you are looking for specific phrases, names, places or dates.
- Hotbot Hotbot is the search site of Wired magazine, and it is a good tool for specific searches.
- Internet Sleuth This is an excellent site for very specialized searches.
- Lycos This is at Carnegie Mellon University. It has both an elementary and a complex search procedure.
- Northern Light Northern Light searches pay-per-view articles and books not available to the public on the web, in addition to general web page searches.
- Yahoo A friendly, general purpose index with search capabilities. Often a good place to start, especially for browsing.
Libraries, Museums, and University Pages
Other Useful Research Sites