Loachapoka Explore Auburn Days (LEAD) Summer Camp
June 8-13, 2014
The College of Education's Truman Pierce Institute, in partnership with Auburn University's Office of Outreach, is offering Loachapoka High School students a week-long residential university experience. The goal of the camp is to provide students with college-like experiences while developing the skills they will need to be admitted and successful in college, and later in life. This initiative is designed to provide students with hands-on experiences in various disciplines while enhancing their skills in technology and writing.
Typical program content includes:
- Evening physical and social activities such as sports, swimming, games, movies, tournaments, etc.
- Creative writing opportunities
- Team building sessions
- Exploration of the arts
- Field trips and other hands-on focused on natural sciences
- Opportunities to enhance computer skills
- Participation in a Ropes Course designed to enhance self-confidence and leadership skills
- Campus Tours
- Practice test taking sessions
- Meetings with admissions, financial aid, student activities and other key campus-based programs
- Study skills development sessions
Students will experience many aspects of campus life such as walking to classes, riding Tiger Transit, eating at campus dining facilities, staying in Auburn's resident dormitories, and enjoying university recreational and educational facilities. Camp participants will have 24/7 counselor supervision.
A maximum of 30 students will be accepted.
There is no fee associated with this camp! All housing, food, transportation, and entry fees will be waived for all accepted Loachapoka high school students.
Application and Registration
To apply, students must:
- Be a Loachapoka high school student entering 10th, 11th, or 12th grade in Fall 2013
- Have parental permission
- Complete and submit a LEAD camp application form
- Write an Interest Statement (included on application form) describing why they want to participate in the camp
- Make arrangements for transportation to and from the Summer Camp
- Commit to attending the whole week
Required Forms and Insurance
Once selected as a camp participant and notified by Truman Pierce Institute personnel that they are enrolled, participants must complete and return the required camp form packet and ropes course waiver form no later than two weeks prior to the start of camp. All information provided remains confidential.
If you consent to allowing campers to self-administer required medication, please print and complete the form listed below. (NOTE: You will need to upload this form when you reach the end of the Summer Camp Form Packet.)
As proof of health insurance, all participants must upload a copy of their health insurance card (front and back) with the camp form packet. If the participant does not have current health insurance coverage; please contact us as soon as possible for options. (NOTE: You will need to upload the front and back of your insurance card when you reach the end of the Summer Camp Form Packet.)
- Camp FAQs
- Camp Supplies
- Getting to Auburn
- Summer Experience on Facebook
- Auburn University Admissions: Prospective Students
- Auburn University Campus Tours + Visit
- The Auburn-Opelika Tourism Bureau: Local Lodging, Shopping, and Dining
If you are interested in attending or would like more information on this camp, please contact Teresa Smoot of the Truman Pierce Institute at (334) 844-4488.
Last Updated: October 17, 2014