Session 1 | June 15-20, 2014
Session 2 | July 6-11, 2014
Auburn University's Design Workshop offers an engaging program for rising 9th - 12th grade students interested in a professional career in design. Hosted by the College of Architecture, Design, and Construction's School of Industrial and Graphic Design, this week-long resident camp offers an intensive design experience beginning with the identification of a design problem and rapidly progresses through idea generation, concept development, and exploratory prototyping.
Each day is filled with practical, hands-on design activities, technical demonstrations, and in-depth instruction. Foundation skills such as sketching, rendering, and prototyping are emphasized throughout the week as participants develop their solution to the issue at hand. Working in dedicated studio spaces, participants have access to photo, computer, and prototype fabrication labs.
Faculty, staff, and student assistants from Auburn University's School of Industrial and Graphic Design provide individual attention and guidance to each participant. Workshop leaders are recognized for their desire to communicate with young people and to share their knowledge of design. Departmental faculty members hold degrees and have professional experience in the fields of: industrial design, graphic design, architecture, and business. The faculty's diverse background ensures that participants receive a broad perspective on design.
In addition to their work the in studio, students will experience campus-life while residing in Auburn's resident dormitories, eating at campus dining facilities, and enjoying evening social and recreational activities. Camp participants will have 24/7 counselor supervision.
- "This was a great program that really showed me what design would be like. All the things I have learned have allowed me to better understand what it will be like in college." – Chelsea
- "This program was the best thing anybody who is uncertain about what they want to do for college. It was fun, educational and a once in a lifetime experience." – Jorge
- “Coming to this camp has opened my eyes to a whole new world. I love the people here! They were so creative” – Catherine
- “I had an amazing experience in the design studio” – Chloe
- “The people and activities are awesome. The counselors were amazing!!” – Benjamin
- “All the counselors were great, all the teachers were awesome, and the people were fun” – Hannah
- “The AU employees went out of their way to meet every camper’s needs” – Kathleen
Enrollment for each session is limited to 24 students.
Workshop tuition is $680 and includes all instruction, housing, meals, and recreational activities. A portion of this fee is used to purchase supplies that participants will take home at the end of the week.
A limited number of program scholarships may be available through the College of Architecture Design and Construction Academic Success Action Program (ASAP). Interested students should contact Dr. Carla Bell at 334.844.4549.
- Click here to register online for Session 1: June 15-20
- Click here to register online for Session 2: July 6-11
- Click here to register by phone, mail, or fax
Required Forms and Insurance
Please complete the required camp form packet below, no later than two weeks prior to the start of camp. All information provided remains confidential.
If you consent to allowing campers to self-administer required medication, please print and complete the form listed below. (NOTE: You will need to upload this form when you reach the end of the Summer Camp Form Packet.)
As proof of health insurance, all participants must upload a copy of their health insurance card (front and back) with the camp form packet. If the participant does not have current health insurance coverage; please contact us as soon as possible for options. (NOTE: You will need to upload the front and back of your insurance card when you reach the end of the Summer Camp Form Packet.)
- Camp FAQs
- Camp Supplies
- Getting to Auburn
- Summer Experience on Facebook
- Auburn University Admissions: Prospective Students
- Auburn University Campus Tours + Visit
- The Auburn-Opelika Tourism Bureau: Local Lodging, Shopping, and Dining
Cancellation & Refund Policy
Please read our Cancellation & Refund Policy.
For program questions, please contact the coordinator, Jeff Dyal at 334.844.5817.
Last Updated: October 17, 2014