Dietary Manager Program
The Dietary Manager Program at Auburn University is a self-paced, non-credit certificate program that you can complete at home, on your own time. This means that you can maintain a job while working towards completion of the program. Those who are highly motivated and organized will best succeed in the program.
In order to complete the program, students must finish 171.5 didactic hours and 236 on-the-job experience hours for a total of 39 CEU’s. A Registered Dietitian (RD) will serve as a Clinical Instructor and home assignments must be submitted via email, fax, or mail for grading by an Auburn University trained RD grader. Please note: CEUs (Continuing Education Units) for the Dietary Manager’s Program can only be obtained by students who are completing the Auburn Dietary Manager Program and not already certified by the ANFP (Association of Nutrition and Foodservice Professional). These CEUs are not available to Certified Dietary Managers to maintain their certification.
The program is designed for use by food service employees in the health-care field, particularly those in nursing home and hospital food service organizations. It has also been used successfully by food service employees in correctional facilities, public schools, and other institutional settings which include the provision of patient care.
The program was authored by Dr. Robin Fellers, Associate Professor at Auburn University.
Quick Facts about the Program
- 171.5 instructional Hours
- 236 on-the-job experience
- 39 CEU’s earned
- 24 months to complete, but can be completed within 6 months
- Correspondence by mail
- Independent Study
- Work at your own pace
A Message from the Program Director
Welcome to the Auburn University Dietary Manager Program. This is a nationally accredited program designed for people employed in supervisory roles in healthcare, schools, and correctional facilities foodservice departments. The purpose of the course is for the student to develop and strengthen job skills. After successfully completing Auburn’s course the student will be eligible to become a Certified Dietary Manager by passing a credentialing exam administered by the Association of Nutrition and Food Service Professional (ANFP).
The program is staffed by experts in continuing adult education that are always available to the student. Graders and instructors are Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist with years of experience working in the field of nutrition and foodservice. Both the education experts and RDNs are available throughout the course for assistance. Currently, eighty-eight percent of our students complete the program and take the CDM CFPP certification exam. Auburn University is proud of our graduates!
I hope you will review Auburns Dietary Manager website and choose this quality program to provide your educational needs.
Rose Mary Buford, RD, LD, MS
- Applicant must be a high school graduate, or pursuing their General Equivalency Diploma (GED).
- Applicant must apply and complete all applicable forms and make payment.
- Applicant must be employed in a foodservice establishment.
- Applicant must have a registered Dietitian, Clinical Instructor/Preceptor to complete the program.
Topics of Study at a Glance
- Healthcare Facility Management
- Principles of Food Production and Quality
- Procurement in Food Service: Purchasing and Receiving
- Food Storage Practices and Procedures
- Food Production Service and Distribution
- Food Safety
- Personal and Facility Safety in Food Service
- Basic Nutrition
- Medical Nutrition Therapy: Modified Diets
- Production and Quality Management
- Human Resource Management
- Financial Management
Program Cost and Fees
The cost of the Dietary Manager Program is non-refundable.
|Service or Item||Cost or Fee|
Modules (course materials) and MP3 CDs included in tuition cost
|Program Textbooks||The Nutrition Fundamentals and Medical Therapy ISBN 978-0-692-04659-3 (2018)
And Foodservice Management - By Design ISBN 978-0-692-04658-6 (2018)
Textbook orders and payments should be made directly to ANFP. You can purchase textbooks online at http://www.anfponline.org. If you have any questions, you can contact ANFP at 1-800-323-1908.
|1 year extension||$195|
|Special exam arrangements after course deadline||$95|
Application and Forms
Auburn University's Dietary Manager Scholarship
- The Dietary Manager Program offers two scholarships annually to a prospective student who meets all application requirements and demonstrates financial need. The scholarship covers the full cost of tuition, but the student is still expected to purchase all course textbooks and materials. For more details about the scholarship and to apply, please download the DM Scholarship application.
The application packet consists of:
- Dietary Manager Program Application
- Clinical Instructor Agreement Form
- Clinical Instructor, copy of registration card
- Facility Administrator Endorsement Form
Please note: In order to complete the processing of your online-registration, be sure to check the box to sign a copy of the Enrollment agreement electronically. You will also need to have your Clinical Instructor and Facility Administrator forms completed, and signed. The appropriate forms can be found under the 'Application' tab. When complete, the forms will need to be faxed to 334-844-3101 or emailed to email@example.com. In addition, your Clinical Instructor will also need to submit a copy of their registration card. This information can be faxed to 334-844-3101 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Processing of the application will be suspended until we received all submissions. Upon completion of the enrollment process your welcome package will be sent to you via email. If you do not have email access, this package will be mailed to you, upon request.
Text book orders and payment should be made directly to the ANFP. Textbook orders can be made online at www.anfponline.org or by calling 800-323-1908.
Last Updated: February 18, 2019