Industrial Design Workshop – Session One: June 16-21, 2019; Session Two: July 14-19, 2019
Rising 9th – 12th Grade
Auburn University's Industrial Design Camp offers an engaging program for rising 9th - 12th grade students interested in a professional career in Industrial Design. Hosted by the College of Architecture, Design, and Construction's School of Industrial and Graphic Design, this week-long resident camp offers an intensive design experience beginning with the identification of a design problem and rapidly progressing through idea generation, concept development, and exploratory prototyping.
Each day is filled with practical, hands-on design activities, technical demonstrations, and in-depth instruction. Foundational skills such as sketching, rendering, and prototyping are emphasized throughout the week as participants develop their solution to the issue at hand. Working in dedicated studio spaces, participants have access to photo, computer, and prototype fabrication labs.
Faculty, staff, and student assistants from Auburn University's School of Industrial and Graphic Design provide individual attention and guidance to each participant. Camp leaders are recognized for their desire to communicate with young people and to share their knowledge of design. Faculty members assisting with the workshop hold professional degrees in design and have industry experience in the fields of: industrial design, graphic design, architecture, business, and others. The faculty's diverse background ensures that participants receive a broad perspective on design.
Camp participants will experience campus-life while residing in Auburn's resident dormitories, eating at campus dining facilities, and enjoying evening social and recreational activities. Campers will have 24/7 counselor supervision.
News Article: I Was a Teenage Architect
Participants will spend most of their time in Wallace Hall and will gain an immediate appreciation for the vibrant creativity and innovation in our industrial and graphic design studios. One of the oldest programs in the nation, Industrial Design's graduate and undergraduate programs are ranked in the top ten degree programs nation by DesignIntelligence.
Chris's professional experience comes from working in the architecture, communicative environment, and product design industries. In addition he is principle of DesignForesight, a design consulting and visualization firm that he founded in 2002.
Previous teaching experience includes course design and implementation responsibilities within large corporate training programs as well as with the Master of Science in Architecture at Mississippi State University. Professor Arnold currently teaches second year design studios and lectures at both the undergraduate and graduate program levels.
Research interests include the development of artifact documentation and knowledge management techniques within the design process, the cross-disciplinary application of design methodology in “non-design” fields such as business, and the integration of design methods within K-12 education.
Camp Fees are $800 and include the following items:
- On campus housing
- All meals, snacks and drinks while at camp
- Program instruction, materials and equipment
- Transportation to and from off-campus field-trip sites
- Recreational activities
Applicants intending to commute to camp can contact Auburn Youth Programs at 334-844-5100 to receive a coupon code for the discounted rate.
If a registration is canceled for any reason, the individual or organization making the original CAMP FEE payment will receive:
- A full refund, with a $25 administrative fee deduction, if the cancellation request is received at least 4 weeks prior to the start date of the program;
- A refund of 50%, if the cancellation request is received less than 4 weeks prior but at least 2 weeks prior to the program start date;
- No refund for a "No Show" or for a cancellation request received less than 2 weeks prior to the start date of the program.
Note: A registration may be transferred to another person at any time for a $25 transfer fee.
What to Bring to Camp:
Please pack lightly – but do not forget to bring bedding, a towel, and toiletries.
Campers should refrain from bringing no more than one (1) suitcase and one (1) personal sized bag to camp.
Need more room in your suitcase? Don’t pack your bedding, have it ready at check-in by purchasing a Linens Package!
- XL twin sheets/thick blanket or sleeping bag and pillow
- Alarm Clock
- Phone Charger
- Body Wash
- Toothbrush and Toothpaste
- Bath Towel
Clothing & Shoes:
- T-shirts: Loose fitting, tank tops must have straps three fingers wide and cover all undergarments
- Shorts: At least 3.5” inseam
- One (1) pair of jeans/long pants
- Tennis Shoes: We walk up to 6 miles daily!
- Closed toed shoes
- Swimsuit: For girls, a modest one piece swimsuit. For boys, no speedos or jammers.
- Flip-flops or Water Shoes: For the pool
- Sweatshirt or Jacket
- Dress up Outfit: Dressy casual (modest) outfit (e.g.: modest sundress, polo & khakis, pants & blouse)
- Rain Jacket or Poncho
- Laundry Bag
- Beach Towel: For the pool
- Bug spray/Sunscreen
- $50 key/meal card deposit: Make check payable to Auburn University
- Spending Money
Last Updated: January 9, 2019