Construction Management Summer Academy for Young Women: June 4-8, 2019
Rising 11th – 12th Grade
The Construction Management Summer Academy for Young Women hosted by the Auburn University McWhorter School of Building Science is a program geared toward rising 11th - 12th grade female students interested in learning about the exciting and diverse career opportunities available in construction management.
This 5 day/4 night camp is designed to:
- Provide hands-on and experiential learning activities incorporating construction drawings, materials/methods, and technologies
- Educate the participants on safety management principles, field operations, project management, preconstruction services and other key topics in the industry
- Encourage and educate the participants on professional career options available in construction
- Offer the participants opportunity to interact with McWhorter School of Building Science faculty, industry professionals and current students
- Provide positive experiences on a university campus
There will be opportunities for hands-on construction experiences, visiting an active construction site field trip, working in collaborative team exercises specific to the construction industry to evoke critical thinking and develop deeper problem solving skills, and more!
Camp participants will experience campus-life while residing in Auburn's resident dormitories, eating at campus dining facilities, and enjoying evening social and recreational activities. Campers will have 24/7 counselor supervision.
The McWhorter School of Building Science is located in the M. Miller Gorrie Center, which opened in 2006. Gorrie Center earned the State of Alabama’s first LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) gold certification. This state-of-the art “green” building is equipped with unmatched information technology. Students will also complete hands-on lab activities at the Building Science Field Lab.
Lauren Redden received her Bachelor of Science in Building Construction from Auburn University in 2008 and her Master of Building Construction from Auburn University in 2009.
Lauren spent 6 years in industry working in both commercial and multi-family residential markets before returning to Auburn University in 2015 as a tenure-track faculty member. She most recently has taught estimating, project management, disaster recovery, and construction documents courses.
With her experience in the construction industry, as well as the partnerships she has formed with industry experts, Lauren is excited to explore with students how construction managers contribute to the complex process of building and shaping the built environment.
Applications will open on December 1, 2018 and close on March 1, 2019. Notifications will be sent no later than May 1, 2019.
For your application, you will need:
- A $25 non-refundable application fee
- A copy of your most recent transcript or report card (un-official copies allowed)
- A letter of recommendation from a teacher, mentor, or coach
- One (1) brief essay (300 words or less) answering the question: Why are you interested in learning more about the construction management field?
- The three required documents need to be saved and uploaded as one PDF document.
PLEASE NOTE: We will only accept documents uploaded as a PDF.
Please click the Apply Now button below to begin the application process. Upon making payment, an email will be sent with instructions on how to complete the application.
Camp includes the following items:
- On campus housing
- All meals, snacks and drinks while at camp
- Program instruction, materials and equipment
- Transportation to and from off-campus field-trip sites
- Recreational activities
If a registration is canceled for any reason, the individual or organization making the original CAMP FEE payment will receive:
- A full refund, with a $25 administrative fee deduction, if the cancellation request is received at least 4 weeks prior to the start date of the program;
- A refund of 50%, if the cancellation request is received less than 4 weeks prior but at least 2 weeks prior to the program start date;
- No refund for a "No Show" or for a cancellation request received less than 2 weeks prior to the start date of the program.
Note: A registration may be transferred to another person at any time for a $25 transfer fee.
What to Bring to Camp:
Please pack lightly – but do not forget to bring bedding, a towel, and toiletries.
Campers should refrain from bringing no more than one (1) suitcase and one (1) personal sized bag to camp.
Need more room in your suitcase? Don’t pack your bedding, have it ready at check-in by purchasing a Linens Package!
- XL twin sheets/thick blanket or sleeping bag and pillow
- Alarm Clock
- Phone Charger
- Body Wash
- Toothbrush and Toothpaste
- Bath Towel
Clothing & Shoes:
- T-shirts: Loose fitting, tank tops must have straps three fingers wide and cover all undergarments
- Shorts: At least 3.5” inseam
- One (1) pair of jeans/long pants
- Tennis Shoes: We walk up to 6 miles daily!
- Closed toed shoes
- Swimsuit: For girls, a modest one piece swimsuit. For boys, no speedos or jammers.
- Flip-flops or Water Shoes: For the pool
- Sweatshirt or Jacket
- Dress up Outfit: Dressy casual (modest) outfit (e.g.: modest sundress, polo & khakis, pants & blouse)
- Rain Jacket or Poncho
- Laundry Bag
- Beach Towel: For the pool
- Bug spray/Sunscreen
- $50 key/meal card deposit: Make check payable to Auburn University
- Spending Money
Last Updated: January 9, 2019