Construction Management Summer Academy for Young Women – June 8-12, 2021
Rising 11th – 12th Grade
Due to the COVID-19 Global Pandemic, Auburn University is currently practicing social distancing with 50% capacity in classrooms. The University also has requirements of a face coving in all university buildings and in all outdoor spaces when social distancing is not possible. The CADC will follow all university requirements during summer camps this year. Auburn University and the CADC reserve the right to additional changes to camps including cancellation if the global pandemic continues into summer 2021. If our camps are cancelled, full refunds will be awarded to all registered students. For more information on how Auburn is responding to the COVID-19 Pandemic please visit the A Healthier U website at: https://ahealthieru.auburn.edu/.
The Construction Management Summer Academy for Young Women hosted by the Auburn University McWhorter School of Building Science is a program geared toward rising 11th - 12th grade female students interested in learning about the exciting and diverse career opportunities available in construction management.
As this is a scholarship camp, students selected for the program will have the $800 camp fee waived.
This 5 day/4 night camp is designed to:
- Provide hands-on and experiential learning activities incorporating construction drawings, materials/methods, and technologies
- Educate the participants on safety management principles, field operations, project management, preconstruction services and other key topics in the industry
- Encourage and educate the participants on professional career options available in construction
- Offer the participants opportunity to interact with McWhorter School of Building Science faculty, industry professionals and current students
- Provide positive experiences on a university campus
There will be opportunities for hands-on construction experiences, visiting an active construction site field trip, working in collaborative team exercises specific to the construction industry to evoke critical thinking and develop deeper problem solving skills, and more!
Camp participants will experience campus-life while residing in Auburn's resident dormitories, eating at campus dining facilities, and enjoying evening social and recreational activities. Campers will have 24/7 counselor supervision.
Breakfast and lunch will be catered by industry professionals. Dinner will be provided in one of the newly-renovated campus dining locations. All dietary restrictions and allergies are taken into consideration for each meal.
The McWhorter School of Building Science is located in the M. Miller Gorrie Center, which opened in 2006. Gorrie Center earned the State of Alabama’s first LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) gold certification. This state-of-the art “green” building is equipped with unmatched information technology. Students will also complete hands-on lab activities at the Building Science Field Lab.
Lauren Redden received her Bachelor of Science in Building Construction from Auburn University in 2008 and her Master of Building Construction from Auburn University in 2009.
Lauren spent 6 years in industry working in both commercial and multi-family residential markets before returning to Auburn University in 2015 as a tenure-track faculty member. She most recently has taught estimating, project management, disaster recovery, and construction documents courses.
With her experience in the construction industry, as well as the partnerships she has formed with industry experts, Lauren is excited to explore with students how construction managers contribute to the complex process of building and shaping the built environment.
Applications will open on December 1, 2020 and close on April 1, 2021. There is a $25 non-refundable application fee. Please pay online immediately after submitting your application.
Notifications will be sent via email by April 15, 2021.
Camp includes the following items:
- On campus housing
- All meals, snacks and drinks while at camp
- Program instruction, materials and equipment
- Transportation to and from off-campus field-trip sites
- Recreational activities
All cancellation and transfer requests must be submitted via email. Please send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (334)844-5100.
- Cancellation request received at least 4 week prior to the start date of the program: Full refund, less $40.
- Cancellation request received less than 4 weeks prior but at least 2 weeks prior to the program start date: Refund of 50%
- Cancellation request received less than 2 weeks prior to the program start date or “no show”: No refund.
Note: Refunds will be issued to the individual/organization who made the original payment.
- A camper’s registration for one program may be transferred to another program. Prior to May 1, 2021, there is no charge to change programs. After May 1, 2021, there is a $25 fee per transfer.
- A camper’s registration may be transferred to another person at any time for a $25 transfer fee per transfer.
What to Bring to Camp:
Please pack lightly – but do not forget to bring bedding, a towel, and toiletries.
Campers should refrain from bringing no more than one (1) suitcase and one (1) personal sized bag to camp.
Need more room in your suitcase? Don’t pack your bedding, have it ready at check-in by purchasing a Linens Package!
- XL twin sheets/thick blanket or sleeping bag and pillow
- Alarm Clock
- Phone Charger
- Body Wash
- Toothbrush and Toothpaste
- Bath Towel
Clothing & Shoes:
- T-shirts: Loose fitting, tank tops must have straps three fingers wide and cover all undergarments
- Shorts: At least 3.5” inseam
- One (1) pair of jeans/long pants
- Tennis Shoes: We walk up to 6 miles daily!
- Closed toed shoes
- Swimsuit: For girls, a modest one piece swimsuit. For boys, no speedos or jammers.
- Flip-flops or Water Shoes: For the pool
- Sweatshirt or Jacket
- Dress up Outfit: Dressy casual (modest) outfit (e.g.: modest sundress, polo & khakis, pants & blouse)
- Rain Jacket or Poncho
- Laundry Bag
- Beach Towel: For the pool
- Bug spray/Sunscreen
- $50 key/meal card deposit: Make check payable to Auburn University
- Spending Money
Last Updated: December 2, 2020