Advanced Placement Summer Institute (APSI)
English Literature & Composition with Terry Filippo
This workshop is designed for those teaching AP English Literature & Composition for the first time
and for those seeking refresher training. We will examine methodology and content, share ideas,
develop strategies, and review samples from the 2012 AP Exam. The purpose of the workshop is
to further acquaint you with the AP program and its demands and to help you continue to grow and
serve students better.
Monday, June 18
Basics of AP English: Literature
Tuesday, June 19
Wednesday, June 20
Thursday, June 21
- Setting up an AP English: Literature and Composition class for beginning AP teachers or refining one
already in place
- Deciding what to teach in an AP English Literature course
- Creating a syllabus
- Examining the many resources available to the AP English Lit. teacher
- Exploring a variety of approaches to address the amount of writing and reading necessary for success
in this course
- Sharing classroom activities that will provide students with higher order thinking skills and that will move
from teacher-centered to a student-centered class
- Exploring both the multiple-choice and free-response sections of previous AP English Literature exams
- Preparing students for the AP English Literature Exam
- Finding ways to implement vertical teaming within an English department to prepare students for AP English
Instructor: Terry Filippo, Clemson, South Carolina
Tuition is $500 per workshop. The tuition fee covers all instruction, breaks, lunch, and course materials. Each workshop has limited enrollment. Registration is completed when processed on-line or when received in the Office of Professional & Continuing Education with payment.
Note: A School P.O. # will be considered "payment" for purposes of registering and reserving a seat in a workshop. Registrations processed on-line require payment with M/C, Visa, Discover, or American Express credit card.
In order for any refund to be given, we must be notified in writing BEFORE the institute begins. If a registration is cancelled for any reason, the individual or organization making the original tuition payment will receive: (1) a full refund, less an administrative fee of $25, if the cancellation request is received in writing before June 1, 2012; (2) a refund of 50%, if the cancellation request is received in writing after June 1 but before June 15, 2012; (3) no refund for a 'No Show' or for a cancellation request received after June 15, 2012. Note: A registration may be transferred to another person.
*College Board, AP, Advanced Placement Program, AP Vertical Teams, Pre-AP and the acorn logo are registered trademarks of the College Board. Used with permission.
Last Updated: March 17, 2014