PLU Credit Information for Alabama Applicants
"BUILD: Bullying Intervention Leadership Development in Faculty, Staff, Students, and Community"
PLUACLD 151 PLUASIL 5 ACLD, Provider–Truman Pierce Institute (AU)
This PLU meets Leadership Standard 5, “Community and Stakeholder Relationships.”
Leaders enrolled in this PLU will:
- Analyze bullying incidence in their school(s) and community
- Identify effects of bullying on students' social interactions, emotional health, attendance, and academic success
- Develop and implement effective anti-bullying strategies utilizing community resources.
In addition to attending the Anti-Bullying Summit in Peachtree City, GA, June 26-27, participants will: lead a faculty/staff meeting during which Alabama law and school system policies pertaining to bullying are reviewed; collect data from two bullying surveys (Fall 2013 and Spring 2014) to assess incidence of bullying and effects of intervention initiatives in their schools; organize and guide three faculty/parent/student/community leader meetings during which bullying problems are analyzed and strategies for intervention are developed; plan and implement two school-wide assemblies addressing the issue of bullying; and complete short reading assignments from on-line sources (no materials need to be purchased).
The nine activities required to obtain PLU credit are the following:
- Activity 1: Anti-Bullying Summit, June 26-27, 2014
- Activity 2: Faculty/Staff Orientation to Bullying Intervention (August 2014)
- Activity 3: Faculty/Stakeholder Meeting 1: Working Together for Change (September/October 2014)
- Activity 4: Fall Bullying Survey Distribution and Analysis (October 2014)
- Activity 5: Faculty/Stakeholder Meeting II: Committee Reports (November 2014)
- Activity 6: School-Wide Anti-Bullying Assembly (November/December 2014)
- Activity 7: Schoolwide Recognition Assembly (March/April 2015)
- Activity 8: Spring Bullying Survey: Distribution and Analysis (March/April, 2015)
- Activity 9: Faculty/Stakeholder Meeting III: Project Assessment and Continued Planning (April, 2015)
You may find a course abstract on the STI website, https:///pdweb.alsde.edu under course # PLUACLD151. A more detailed summary of each activity is available at http://www.leadershipalsde.com by searching under course number 151, then clicking on "View," then clicking on "view" for each of the nine activities.
No face-to-face contact hours are required except for attendance at the Anti-bullying Summit in Peachtree City, Georgia, June 26-27, 2014.
Last Updated: April l, 2014