AU Competitive Outreach Scholarship Grants
The Office of the Vice President for University Outreach announces the 2016-2017 call for proposals for the Competitive Outreach Scholarship Grants Program (COSG). The COSG program is intramural and made available to promote community-engaged scholarship and the outreach enterprise.
Purpose and Scope of Grants
The intent of the COSG grant program is to encourage faculty initiative in addressing critical needs in the state of Alabama and beyond. This grant program builds upon the experience of previous Outreach Scholarship grants and adds an emphasis on promoting outreach, extension activity and engaged scholarship that evidences faculty outreach as described in Chapter 3 of the Faculty Handbook. A Competitive Outreach Scholarship Grant is awarded to promote and establish sustainable outreach initiatives utilizing extramural support.
Amount of Grants
Grants will range in value up to $20,000 for one year, with the possibility of renewal.
The following requirements should be carefully considered before submitting a COSG proposal:
- All proposals for 2016-17 Competitive Outreach Scholarship Grants program should be submitted by the final proposal submission deadline, Friday, October 14, 2016 by 4:45 p.m. central standard time. Proposals not previously submitted by September 30th (early submission deadline for format check) will not undergo a format check and will not have the opportunity for revision or resubmission. Access for submitting proposals online WILL be closed by the final deadline.
- Only Auburn University full-time tenured, tenure-track or clinical faculty members, whose departments consider scholarly productivity in the conferment of promotion, are eligible to apply as the Principal Investigator (PI). Collaboration with other faculty, community partners, staff and students is encouraged. Faculty may submit only one application for the 2016-17 grant cycle. Previous grant recipients may apply for a grant more than once, but will not be awarded a grant more than twice in a five year period.
- All proposals must meet the university definition of outreach as stated in Chapter 3 of the Faculty Handbook and include letters of support from both the faculty member’s department head (or director or dean, as appropriate) and a representative of the external constituency. Auburn University has defined outreach as “the function of applying academic expertise to the direct benefit of external constituencies in support of university and unit missions.” The department head’s letter must tell how the proposed project serves a university or unit mission and how it will contribute to the investigator’s scholarly agenda. The external support letter must explain the need for the project and describe how the external constituency will participate in providing direction, support, and evaluation for the project as a collaborating partner.
- All applicants must utilize the application proposal form and the excel budget proposal form provided below. The proposal application form and the excel budget form combined should not exceed nine pages. The nine page limit does not include the cover letter (on letterhead) and supporting documents. Please include all supporting documents at the end of the proposal. The proposal application form, excel budget proposal form, and all supporting documents should be combined and converted into a one multi-page proposal PDF file before submission.
- Proposals received by the aforementioned final deadline using any other format or exceeding the specified page limit, will not be eligible for panel review. Proposals not submitted as one multi-page PDF document by the aforementioned final deadline will not be eligible for panel review. Utilize the call for proposals checklist below before submitting a proposal.
Applicants can expect to receive several email notifications. All applicants will receive an email notification confirming receipt of a proposal. The next email notification will be received after the early submission deadline indicating whether or not the proposal met minimum requirements for panel review and if there are any recommended revisions. Applicants submitting proposals after the early submission deadline will also receive an email notification confirming receipt of a proposal. The final email notification will delineate the outcome of the panel review. All applicants can expect to receive a final notification in January 2017. Grant recipients will also receive an invitation to be recognized at the Outreach and Engaged Scholars Luncheon that will take place February 2017.
Administration of Grants
Support for funded projects may begin as early as February, 2017. Those who receive grants will be contacted to discuss grant cycle requirements. These requirements include the development of a MOU and Partnership Agreement with University Outreach and the establishment of a FOAP for funds distribution. Grant recipients are strongly encouraged to attend the Outreach and Engaged Scholars Luncheon (February 2017), a recognition event for being awarded a grant. In addition, grant recipients will be asked to submit a mid-year grant cycle report (six months into the project), a final report summarizing the project and evaluating its impact on the target constituency at the conclusion of the grant cycle. These reports of outreach engaged scholarship will be used in future Outreach publications, and grant recipients are encouraged to plan their own discipline-specific submissions for publications as well. Furthermore, submit a proposal to present their engagement activities and scholarship resulting from the project at the Engagement Scholarship Conference (Birmingham, AL, September, 2017).
Call for Proposals
For further information, please contact the Director of Faculty Engagement, Dr. Chippewa Thomas, at email@example.com or call (334) 844-5700. For administrative assistance, contact Kara White at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (334) 844-5700.
Example Previously Funded Proposals
- 2014-15 Successful Proposal Submission - Salisa Westrick
- 2015-16 Successful Proposal Submission - Jennifer Robinson
Previous Grant Recipients
Last Updated: November 13, 2016