AU Competitive Outreach Scholarship Grants
The Office of the Vice President for University Outreach announces the 2014-2015 call for proposals for the Competitive Outreach Scholarship Grants Program (COSG). The COSG program is intramural and is made available to promote faculty engagement in outreach enterprise.
Purpose and Scope of Grants
The intent of the COSG grant program is to encourage faculty initiative in addressing critical needs in the state of Alabama and beyond. This grant program builds upon the experience of previous Outreach Scholarship grants and adds an emphasis on promoting outreach, extension activity and engaged scholarship that evidences faculty outreach as described in Chapter 3 of the Faculty Handbook. A Competitive Outreach Scholarship Grant is awarded to promote and establish sustainable outreach initiatives utilizing extramural support.
Amount of Grants
Grants will range in value up to $20,000 for one year, with the possibility of renewal.
Administration of Grants
Support for funded projects may begin as early as January 15th, 2015. Those who receive grants will be contacted for a meeting to discuss grant cycle requirements. These requirements include the development of a MOU and Partnership Agreement with University Outreach and the establishment of a FOAP for funds distribution. In addition, grant recipients will be asked to submit a midyear grant cycle report (six months into the project), a final report summarizing the project and evaluating its impact on the target constituency at the conclusion of the grant cycle. Additionally, grant recipients will be required to present their engagement activities at the 2015 Outreach Scholarship Symposium (February 23-25, 2015) and the resulting outreach scholarship of the project, as well as submit a proposal for presentation at the 2015 Engagement Scholarship Consortium conference. These reports of outreach engaged scholarship may be used in future Outreach publications, and grant recipients are encouraged to plan their own individual submissions for publications as well.
The following requirements should be carefully considered before submitting a COSG proposal:
- Proposals for 2014-15 Competitive Outreach Scholarship Grants program are due on Monday, October 20th by 4:45 p.m..
- Please click here to submit an application. (Link coming soon)
- Only Auburn University full-time tenured, tenure-track or clinical faculty members, whose departments consider scholarly productivity in the conferment of promotion, are eligible to apply. Faculty may submit only one application for the 2013-14 grant cycle.
- All proposals must meet the university definition of outreach as stated in Chapter 3 of the Faculty Handbook and include letters of support from both the faculty member’s department head (or director or dean, as appropriate) and a representative of the external constituency. Auburn University has defined outreach as “the function of applying academic expertise to the direct benefit of external constituencies in support of university and unit missions.” The department head’s letter must tell how the proposed project serves a university or unit mission and how it will contribute to the investigator’s scholarship. The external support letter must explain the need for the project and describe how the external constituency will participate in providing direction, support, and evaluation for the project as a collaborating partner.
- All applicants must utilize the application proposal form and the excel budget proposal form provided below. The proposal application form and the excel budget form combined should not exceed eight pages. The eight page limit does not include supporting documents. Please include all supporting documents at the end of the proposal. The proposal application form, excel budget proposal form, and all supporting documents should be combined and converted into a one multi-page proposal PDF file before submission.
- Proposals received using any other format or exceeding the specified page limit, will not be eligible for committee review. Proposals not submitted as one multi-page PDF document by the aforementioned deadline will not be eligible for committee review. Refer to the call for proposals checklist before submitting a proposal.
Once you have downloaded and completed the forms below, please click here to submit your application. (Link coming soon)
- Application and budget form links coming soon.
Applicants will receive three email notifications. The first email notification will confirm receipt of the proposal. The second email notification will be sent after the submission deadline indicating whether or not the proposal met minimum requirements for committee review. The third email notification will delineate the outcome of the committee review and the award disposition. All applicants can expect to receive the third and final notification in December 2014.
For further information, please contact the Director of Faculty Engagement, Dr. Chippewa Thomas, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (334) 844-5700. For administrative assistance, contact Gail Gauntt at email@example.com or call (334) 844-5700.
Previous Grant Recipients
2013-14 Competitive Outreach Scholarship Grant Recipients
Last Updated: August 19, 2014