Mission and Goals
The mission of ECDI is to promote economic prosperity and improved quality of life for communities throughout Alabama.
ECDI has four primary goals, which define our key program and service areas:
- Education and Training: Improve the practice of economic and community development in Alabama through targeted educational programs.
- Conduct the Intensive Economic Development Training Course.
- Conduct the Alabama Rural Roundtable.
- Administer the Alabama Community Leadership Network (ACLN).
- Conduct the Alabama Prosperity Forum: a series of short courses focusing on areas in which Alabama economic and community development professionals have expressed a desire for more training.
- Provide County Extension Coordinators with training in economic and community development.
- Administer the state's only Graduate Minor in Economic Development.
- Research and Communication: Conduct research and disseminate findings on issues related to economic and community development in Alabama.
- Disseminate economic development information, articles, toolkits, tutorials and current research through the ECDI website.
- Publish and disseminate research on topics relevant to Alabama economic and community development policy and practice.
- Conduct research and generate economic and fiscal impact analyses, economic trends and forecast reports, community and regional profiles, and workforce trends and projections for Alabama economic and community developers.
- Connections and Partnerships: Facilitate communication, coordination, and partnerships among Alabama’s economic development community, Extension, and Auburn University.
- Provide administrative support for the I-85 Corridor Alliance
- Participate on economic and community development advisory boards throughout the state
- Support and facilitate Auburn University and Extension faculty and staff engagement in community and economic development projects, programs and initiatives
- Maintain strong relations and provide support to tourism agencies and organizations throughout the state – and coordinate the development of rural tourism partnerships
- Consultation and Engagement: Help build and strengthen economic and community capacity in Alabama communities through a) leadership development, b) civic engagement, c) strategic planning, and d) economic development.
- Administer Extension's RC&D program
- Administer Rural Alabama Initiative grant program
- Provide leadership and support for the Alabama Communities of Excellence program
- Support and expand the Alabama Agri-Tourism Trail
- Facilitate community and regional strategic planning, assessment and asset mapping efforts throughout the state
- Facilitate deliberative forums, roundtables, and town meetings
- Provide leadership development guidebook for Alabama communities
- Support regional efforts to promote tourism and retiree attraction
Last Updated: February 23, 2015