Serious vulnerabilities in Java 1.6 updates 1-41 and Java 1.7 updates 1-15 have been identified. If you are a Banner Admin User or Kronos Admin User, you are strongly encouraged to use the 32-bit version of Internet Explorer 8 or 9 with the latest version of Java 1.6 (http://www.java.com/en/download/manual_v6.jsp) as your dedicated browser for Banner Admin or Kronos Admin. Banner Admin and Kronos Admin users are also encouraged to disable Java in all other web browsers except IE. If you are not a Banner Admin or Kronos Admin user but need Java for other applications, you are strongly encouraged to install the most current version of Java 1.7 (http://www.java.com/en/download). If you do not need Java, please uninstall it.
NOTE: This vulnerability affects Windows and Mac users.
Windows 7 and Vista users can go to Control Panel -> Programs > Uninstall a Program. Older versions of Windows will be under Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs.
Find Java in the Program list, highlight it and choose Uninstall. Windows will prompt you to confirm. Say yes. If you have multiple versions of Java install, uninstall them all.
You can confirm that Java is no longer installed by visiting http://java.com. Click "Do I have Java?" Click verify and confirm that it says "No working Java was detected on your system."
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Type ALT + T to activate the Tools menu and choose Manage Add-ons. Choose "All items" from the Show drop-down menu. Disable "Java Plug-in --version number--." It is safe to simply disable all of the items that begin with Java, but be sure to get this one. Close Internet Explorer.
- Open Chrome and type chrome://plugins into the location bar.
- Click Disable underneath the Java plugin.
- Open Firefox and click the Firefox button -> Add-ons (Tools -> Add-ons in Linux, OS X and Windows XP).
- Choose the Plugins tab.
- Select the Java plugin(s) and click disable.
- Open Safari, select the Safari menu and choose Preferences.
- Choose the Security tab and uncheck the box next to Enable Java.
Last Updated: Jan. 14, 2013