Ph.D., University of Hong Kong
B.S., University of Hong Kong
Chair, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Auburn University
2012 - present
Professor, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Auburn University
1998 - present
Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Auburn University
1993 - 1998
Assistant Professor, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Auburn University
1988 - 1993
Lecturer, City University of Hong Kong
1986 - 1988
Honors and Awards
Lloyd and Sandra Nix Endowed Professor
2012 - 2015
Auburn University Outstanding Graduate Mentor Award
Editorial Board Memberships: Alabama Journal of Mathematics (Editor in Chief), Linear and Multilinear Algebra, Electronic Journal of Linear Algebra, Special Matrices, Proyecciones, Revista de Matematica ILAS, MAA
Referee: Advances in Mathematics, Algebra, Applied Mathematics and Computation, Applied Mathematics E-notes, Applied Mathematics Letters, Bulletins of Canadian Mathematical Society, Bulletins of Mexico Mathematical Society, Chinese Journal of Mathematics, Computers and Mathematics with Applications, Discrete Mathematics, Algorithms and Applications (DMAA), Differential Equations and Dynamical Systems, Electronic Journal of Linear Algebra, International Conference of Numerical Analysis and Applied Mathematics 2014, Iranian Mathematical Society, Journal of Canadian Mathematical Society, Journal of Convex Analysis, Journal of Operators and Matrices, Journal of Operator Theory and Integral Equations, Journal of Scientific Computing, Korean Journal of Mathematics, Linear Algebra and Its Applications (LAA), Linear and Multilinear Algebra (LAMA), Mathematical and Computer Modeling, SIAM Journal on Matrix Analysis and Applications
Research and Teaching Interests
Matrix and Lie Theory: Linear and Multilinear Algebra; Lie Theory; Numerical Range; Operator Theory; Matrix Problems Arising from Biology and Engineering
- Xuhua Liu, Ming Liao and Tin-Yau Tam, Geometric mean for symmetric spaces of noncompact type, Journal of Lie Theory 24 (2014), 725-736.
- Alexander Markus and Tin-Yau Tam, Connectedness of some fibers on a compact connected Lie group, Linear and Multilinear Algebra, 59 (2011), 1121-1126.
- Wai-Shun Cheung and Tin-Yau Tam, Star-shapedness and K-orbits in complex semisimple Lie algebras, Bull. Canada. Math. Soc., 54 (2011), 45-55.
- Wai-Shun Cheung and Tin-Yau Tam, The K-orbit of a normal element in a complex semisimple Lie algebra, Pacific Journal of Mathematics, 238 (2008), 387-398.
- Tin-Yau Tam, A Lie theoretical approach of Thompson's theorems of singular values-diagonal elements and some related results, J. of London Math. Soc. (2), 60 (1999), 431-448.