Tulane University, New Orleans, B.S. in Biology
Northwestern University, Ph.D. in Microbiology, NIH Predoctoral Fellow
Auburn University, Professor
2016 - present
Auburn University, Associate Professor
2011 - 2016
Auburn University, Assistant Professor
2005 - 2011
University of Wisconsin-Madison, NIH Postdoctoral Fellow
1998 - 2005
Touro Infirmary, New Orleans, Research Technician
1991 - 1992
Research and Teaching Interests
My research group has an interest in three primary areas: 1) Metagenomic Analysis of Bacterial and Viral Assemblages. My lab has used a microbial community genomic approach (a.k.a.“metagenomic”) to study complex microbial assemblages in natural and man-made environments. These studies have different biological questions that drive the research question and exact experimental approach including the study of a) Natural Product Discovery from Soil Metagenomes, b) Viral genomes and virally-encoded natural products, and c) Microbiome studies in which plant or animal-associated microorganisms are impacted by biotic or abiotic factors. 2) Biological Control of Disease. Research to identify and apply biological control agents such as beneficial bacterial “probiotics” within the genus Bacillus in order to prevent and control disease in aquaculture farmed fish and in agriculturally important crop species. 3) Pathogenesis and control of virulent Aeromonas hydrophila. Our studies have led to the development of diagnostic methods and a vaccine for a virulent strain of Aeromonas hydrophila that is responsible for severe epidemic outbreaks of disease in farmed fish in the United States and in China. My lab is studying the pathogenesis of disease and the control of disease using both biological control agents and an attenuated vaccine.
- Rasmussen-Ivey, C., Hossain, M.J., Odom, S.E., Terhune, J.S., Hemstreet, W.G., Shoemaker, C.A., Zhang, D., Xu, D., Griffin, M.J., Liu, Y., Figueras, M.J., Santos, S.R., Newton, J.C. and Liles, M.R. (2016) Classification of a hypervirulent Aeromonas hydrophila pathotype responsible for epidemic outbreaks in warm-water fishes. Frontiers in Microbiology, DOI: 10.3389/fmicb.2016.01615
- Rasmussen-Ivey, C., Figueras, M.J., McGarey, D. and Liles, M.R. (2016) Virulence factors of Aeromonas hydrophila: In the wake of reclassification. Frontiers in Microbiology, 7:1337. DOI=10.3389/fmicb.2016.01337
- Fasina, Y.O., Newman, M.M., Stough, J.M. and Liles, M.R. (2016) Effect of Clostridium perfringens infection and antibiotic administration on microbiota in the small intestine of broiler chickens. Poultry Science, 95(2):247-260.
- Hassan, M.K., Choi, S.K., Jeong, H., Newman, M., Kloepper, J.W., and Liles, M.R. (2015) Deciphering the conserved genetic loci implicated in disease control through comparative genomics of Bacillus amyloliquefaciens subsp. plantarum strains. Frontiers in Plant Science, 6:631. doi: 10.3389/fpls.2015.00631
- Beaz-Hidalgo, R., Latif-Eugenin, F., Hossain, M.J., Berg, K., Niemi, M., Rapala, J., Lyra, C., Liles, M.R., and Figueras, M.J. (2015) Aeromonas aquatica sp. nov.,Aeromonas finlandiensis sp. nov. and Aeromonas lacus sp. nov. isolated from Finnish waters associated with cyanobacterial blooms. Systematic and Applied Microbiology, 38(3):161-8. DOI: 10.1016/j.syapm.2015.02.005
- Ravu, R.R., Jacob, M.R., Chen, X., Wang, M., Nasrin, S., Kloepper, J.W., Liles, M.R., Mead, D.A., Khan, I.A., and Li, X.-C. (2015) Bacillusin A, A Potent Antibacterial Macrodiolide from Bacillus amyloliquefaciens AP183. Journal of Natural Products, 78(4):924-8. DOI: 10.1021/np500911k
- Hossain, M.J., Sun, D., McGarey, D.J., Wrenn, S., Alexander, L.M., Martino, M.E., Xing, Y., Terhune, J.S., and Liles, M.R. (2014) An Asian origin of virulent Aeromonas hydrophila responsible for disease epidemics in United States-farmed catfish. mBio 5(3):e00848-14. doi:10.1128/mBio.00848-14.
- Zhou, J., Sun, D., Childers, A., McDermott, T.R., Wang, Y., and Liles, M.R. (2014) Three novel virophage genomes discovered from Yellowstone Lake metagenomes. Journal of Virology doi: 10.1128/JVI.03039-14
- Chander, Y., Koelbl, J., Puckett, J., Moser, M.J., Liles, M.R., Carrias, A., Mead, D.A. and Schoenfeld, T.W. (2014) OmniAmp DNA polymerase, a novel thermostable viral enzyme for LAMP. Frontiers in Microbiology 5:1-11, doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2014.00395.
- Hossain, M.J., Waldbieser, G.C., Sun, D., Capps, N.K., Hemstreet, W.B., Griffin, M.J., Khoo, L., Goodwin, A.E., Sonstegard, T., Schroeder, S., Hayden, K., Newton, J.C., Terhune, J.S. and Liles, M.R. (2013) Implication of lateral genetic transfer in the emergence of Aeromonas hydrophila isolates of epidemic outbreaks in channel catfish. PLOS ONE 8(11): e80943.
- Zheng, H., Chatfield, C.H., Liles, M.R., and Cianciotto, N.P. (2013) Secreted Pyomelanin of Legionella pneumophila Promotes Bacterial Iron Uptake and Growth Under Iron-Limiting Conditions. Infection and Immunity, 81(11):4182-91.
- Ran, C., Carrias, A., Williams, M.A., Capps, N., Dan, B.C.T, Newton, J.C., Kloepper, J.W., Ooi, E.L., Browdy, C.L., Terhune, J.S., and Liles, M.R. (2012) Identification of Bacillus strains for biological control of catfish pathogens.PLOS ONE 7(9): e45793. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0045793.