Leverhulme Post Doctoral Fellow - Univ. of St. Andrews, Gatty Marine Lab
Post Doctoral Fellow - University of Washington, Friday Harbor Laboratories
Ph.D. - University of Hawaii
B.S. - Case Institute of Technology
Research and Teaching Interests
- A morphological and functional analysis of neurodevelopment in molluscan larvae.
- The energetics and morphology of zooxanthella - cnidarian symbioses using the anemone, Aiptasia pallida, as a model organism.
- Mays, Maria M., and S.C. Kempf. 2014. Antigenic variation in mucilage secreted by members of the genus Symbiodinium (Dinophyceae). Journal of Phycology. 50: 850-859.
- Hanes, S.D. and S.C. Kempf 2013. Host autophagic degradation and associated symbiont loss in response to heat stress in the symbiotic anemone, Aiptasia pallida. Invertebrate Biology. 132: 95-107.
- Ellis, I. and S.C. Kempf. 2011. Characterization of the Central Nervous System and Various Peripheral Innervations During Larval Development of the Oyster Crassostrea virginica. Invertebrate Biology. 130: 236-250.
- Ellis, I. and S.C. Kempf. 2011. The Presence and Location of Small Cardioactive-like Peptides in Larvae of Crassostrea virginica. Invertebrate Biology. 130: 251- 263.
- Page, L.R. and S.C. Kempf. (2009). Larval Apical Sensory Organ in a Neritimorph Gastropod, an Ancient Gastropod Lineage with Feeding Larvae. Zoomorphology. 128: 327-338.
- Kempf, S.C.(2008) Serotonergic, sensory modifications in the apical ganglion during development to metamorphic competence in larvae of the dendronotid nudibranchs Melibe leonina and Tritonia diomedea. Microscopy Res. & Tech. 71: 863-869.
- Kempf, S.C. and L.R. Page. (2005). Anti-tubulin labeling reveals ampullary neuron ciliary bundles in opisthobranch larvae and a new putative neural structure associated with the apical ganglion. Biol. Bull. 208:169-182.
- Estes, A.M., S.C. Kempf, and R.P. Henry. 2003. Localization and quantification of carbonic anhydrase in the symbiotic Scyphozoan Cassiopea xamachana. Biol. Bull. 204:278-289.
- Wakefield, T.S. and S.C. Kempf. 2001. Development of host- and symbiont-specific monoclonal antibodies and confirmation of the origin of the symbiosome membrane in a cnidarian-dinoflagellate symbiosis. Biol. Bull.200:127-143.
- Wakefield, T.S., M.A. Farmer, S.C. Kempf. 2000. Revised description of the fine structure of in situ“zooxanthellae” genus Symbiodinium. Biol. Bull. 199:76-84.
- Kempf, S.C., L.R. Page, A. Pires. 1997. Development of serotonin-like immunoreactivity in the embryos and larvae of nudibranch mollusks with emphasis on the structure and possible function of the apical sensory organ. J. Comp. Neurology 386:507-528.