This Is Auburn Office of the Registrar

Residency - It's the law

Who's a resident?

In order to be considered a Resident for tuition purposes at Auburn University, a student who has been coded Non-resident by Admissions Processing or the Graduate School due to an out-of-state address, test score or transcript at any point in their academic career, must submit a residency appeal packet to our office. (See Residency Situations/Appeal Documents).

For the purpose of assessing fees, applicants shall be classified as Alabama or non-Alabama students. Non-Alabama students are required to pay a non-resident tuition fee.

Students who come to the state of Alabama from another state for the purpose of attending Auburn University will be considered a "non-resident student" for tuition purposes. Classification of students as a non-resident shall be made at the time of their initial admission to the university and the non-resident status shall continue unchanged through all registrations at the university until and unless satisfactory evidence is provided to qualify for residency.

A person who moves to Alabama for the primary purpose of attending college will not be considered eligible for classification as a resident student.

It is the student’s responsibility to check their residency status when accepted to Auburn University. Students should carefully examine their ebill account as this is a clear indicator of whether one is being charged resident or non-resident tuition.

An Alabama student/resident is a person who is: a citizen of the United States or a legal permanent resident


has lived in the State of Alabama for at least 12 months immediately preceding current registration.

A person who establishes domicile in Alabama for the purpose of avoiding non-Alabama fees will be subject to non-resident tuition.

Non-resident students who carry an academic load considered normal (10 or more hours per term for Undergraduates, and 7 hours or more for Graduate students per term) will be presumed to be in the State of Alabama primarily for the purpose of gaining an education and, thus, have not demonstrated the intent to establish a true domicile in Alabama.

Burden of proof for changing residency status rests with the student. Clear and convincing evidence to the contrary must be presented to overcome this presumption. Decisions regarding change of residency will be made by the following dates.


Students who wish to change their residency status must submit all required materials (Residency Appeal Packet – see below) to the Office of the Registrar by posted deadline above.

For further information concerning Residency Laws mandated by the State of Alabama please review:

For further information concerning the residency policy as stated in the AU Bulletin please review:

Questions concerning residency can be submitted via e-mail to: and will be answered in the order they are received.


If you feel you qualify for residency and in-state tuition please review the following guidelines and required documents that must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar and University Residency Advisor for consideration.


  1. Alabama Resident Employed Out of State
  2. Alabama Resident Who Attended Out of State Colleges & Universities
  3. Auburn University Employee - Individuals, spouses, and dependents
  4. Dependent of Alabama Resident - Parents
  5. Alabama Resident - Students
  6. Hyundai/Tier One Employees
  7. Military Personnel
  8. Marriage to an Alabama Resident
  9. Non-Resident Employed Full-time Only in Alabama
  10. Remote/Self Employed/Retired Workers in Alabama
  11. State Of Alabama Employee

Other students eligible for resident tuition:

Please note – supplying all documents required for a residency appeal does NOT guarantee residency but allows us to assess each situation and apply Alabama law accordingly.