Frequently Asked Questions

Q - What happens to my annual and sick leave when I quit?

A - On leaving AU employment, employees receive up to one (1) month's additional pay for their accrued, unused annual leave.

"5.6.6 Eligible employees will be compensated for accrued annual leave at the time of separation from University employment (termination or retirement) to a maximum of one month's additional compensation. "

Terminating employees who were hired before 10/1/1990 can be paid for 25% of their unused sick leave, up to one month's pay. Those hired on or after 10/1/1990 are not eligible for payment of unused sick leave.

"5.5.10 An eligible employee hired before October 1, 1990, may be compensated for unused sick leave at the rate of 25 percent, subject to a maximum of one additional month's pay or equivalent, upon terminating University employment. "

However, retiring employees may receive credit for their unused sick leave from the Teachers Retirement System. Please see for details and limitations.

Q - What is "Comp Time"?

A - Compensatory ("comp") time is an alternate means of satisfying the employer's overtime obligation to employees. As such, it must be on a time-and-a-half basis. FLSA limits comp time accrual to 240 hours. Supervisors should be aware that a comp time balance is a liability; employees should be discouraged from keeping a large balance. Unused comp time must be paid for upon the employee's termination (and usually upon transfer).  FLSA requires records to be kept of comp time worked and used.  Comp time worked should be recorded on the biweekly timesheet, while comp time used is entered on form HR8, the leave request form.

Q - Can I round off the times entered on my timesheet?

A - Accurate records must be kept for all hours worked by nonexempt employees. Records of time worked must be maintained for at least three (3) years. Time may be recorded on a time sheet or using a time clock. The recording of time worked requires "rounding-off" to some arbitrary interval. We recommend a 15-minute interval. Please note that the rounding of time entries in recording hours worked has nothing to do with the requirement for employees to comply with their established work schedules! For example, if you are supposed to start work at 7:30 and you arrive at 7:35, you are allowed to put 7:30 on your time sheet, but you are still considered to be late to work. It's up to supervisors to inform their employees that "rounding" does not give them a grace period; if you have an employee who has an attendance problem, you should note and document all instances of tardiness.

Q - Are Temporary employees eligible for holiday pay?

A - No.

Want to ask your OWN question?  Click here!

Last updated: 03/07/2017