TES logo


Welcome to AU Temporary Employment Services.  We are pleased to have you as an employee to assist with special projects, abnormal workloads, or emergencies.  Following is information which will be helpful in understanding your role as a Temporary Employment Services employee.

Auburn University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.  It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, sex, religion, color, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other classification protected by applicable law.  Any concerns you may have regarding these issues should be addressed to the University’s Office of Affirmative Action in Foy Hall (334-844-4794).

A Temporary Employment Services employee meeting the specified job qualifications will be assigned to a department as needed.  Job assignments are not guaranteed on a continuous basis.

A supervisor may request applications to review and call in applicants to interview, or TES can simply assign someone to a unit without aEmployment Ctr departmental interview.  Temporary assignments may be part-time or full-time, not to exceed eleven (11) months in duration.  Temporary employees working 50% time or more must take a minimum one-month break in service at least every eleven (11) months.

When an assignment has ended, you should contact Temporary Employment Services for information regarding future assignments.  The telephone number is 334-844-7363.

The Department of Human Resources establishes the job title/grade and rate of pay for all temporary employees consistent with the University’s salary administration program.

Federal and state withholding taxes, social security, city occupational tax, (and, in certain situations, Teacher’s Retirement) are withheld from the paychecks to Temporary Employment Services employees.

There are no benefits such as group insurance, annual leave, sick leave, or paid holidays for employees working through Temporary Employment Services.  TES employees may participate in the University’s voluntary annuity programs for retirement purposes.  For more information, contact Payroll & Employee Benefits at 334-844-4183. 

Employees are paid only for the hours worked, which must not exceed forty (40) hours per week unless prior approval has been obtained in accordance with departmental rules and regulations.

Most jobs begin at 7:45 a.m. and end at 4:45 p.m. with an hour for lunch.  In some cases, however, the scheduled hours of work and the length of the lunch period may vary, but you will be informed if this is the case.  Breaks during the day may or may not be granted depending on the policy of the department to which you are assigned.  Overtime (more than 40 hours a week) generally is not required of TES employees.  However, if required, your supervisor will approve in advance in accordance with the University policy.  Once you have accepted an assignment,

you must report to your assigned supervisor.  If for any reason you must be absent, please let your supervisor know.  Failure to do so may cause you to lose your assignment.

Temporary employees who park on campus must purchase a University parking permit from Parking and Transit Services.  As a temporary employee you are eligible for a B zone permit.  Authorization forms for obtaining parking permits are obtained through Temporary Employment Services.  Permits must be purchased in your name and you must park in the nearest B zone to where you are working.

Satisfactory work performance and a positive attitude toward the job are basic requirements for retaining any assignment.  In this regard, you are subject to the judgment of the departmental supervisor.  As a temporary employee, you are expected to abide by all work rules in your assigned department including attendance, dress code, and appropriate work behavior.  Auburn University will not tolerate harassment by its employees. TES employees found to be in violation of the University’s non-harassment policies will be subject to immediate termination.  To review the University’s policies, please refer to the website at www.auburn.edu/administration/aaeeo  Additional policies which apply to all AU employees can be found in the Personnel Policies and Procedures Manual in Section 10 (http://www.auburn.edu/administration/human_resources/manual)

Employees hired through Temporary Employment Services are required to submit bi-weekly time sheets.  Time sheets for temporary employees are available on the HR website under Forms (www.auburn.edu/administration/human_resources).  Time sheets are also available from the AU Employment Center at 146 North Gay Street.  Time sheets are due in the Temporary Employment Services office by noon on Thursday prior to the end of each pay period. The TES Payroll Schedule can also be found on the HR website under Forms.  The deadline may change when a holiday occurs.  You will be notified when this happens.

 Time sheets must be signed by the appropriate supervisor to insure the hours recorded are correct.  The time sheet must also indicate the department number to be charged.  You and your departmental supervisor share the responsibility for insuring that your time sheet is submitted by the deadline.  Your time sheet may be submitted in person, through campus mail, or via fax (334-844-1653).  Scanned time sheets clearly showing required signatures may be e-mailed to TEStime@auburn.edu  Regardless of the method, your time sheet still must arrive in Temporary Employment Services by the deadline.  If you fail to turn in your time sheet by the due date, your hours will be processed with the time sheets for the following payroll period.


Forms for direct deposit are available from our office or from the HR Website under Forms (refer to time sheet section).  Direct deposit is mandatory.  Your check will be direct deposited into your bank on pay day. 

You have the right to terminate your employment with Temporary Employment Services at any time, with or without advance notice.  The University has the same right to terminate your employment, with or without advance notice or cause.  If you decide to resign from your TES assignment, it is important for you to notify Temporary Employment Services of your intentions. If you are leaving for a regular employment position on campus, please let the hiring department know you are a Temporary Employment Service employee so that your record can be transferred. If you are moving, a Personal Data Form (PDF) listing a change of address should be completed and given to Temporary Employment Services to aid you in receiving your W-2 Form at the end of January.  If you do not know your forwarding address, it is your responsibility to notify Auburn University of your new address as soon as it is available.  This should be done prior to December 1st if you expect your W-2 form to be sent to the correct address.

If you are seeking regular employment, please log onto www.auemployment.com for a list of available positions.  Temporary employees are considered external applicants when applying for regular University employment and must follow established application procedures for external applicants.  Temporary employees who become regular employees will receive a new service date and be eligible for applicable benefits at that time. Please keep in mind that the pay rate for a regular appointment may not necessarily be the same as what you are receiving as a temporary employee. 

Temporary Employment Services
East Glenn Administrative Support Facilty, Room 1110
1550 East Glenn Avenue
Auburn University, AL 36849
Phone:  334-844-7363
Fax:    334-844-1653

October 2013

Go back Back

Auburn University is an equal opportunity educational institution/employer


Last Updated: Dec.19, 2014

Human Resources | 332 James E. Foy Hall | Auburn University, Alabama 36849-5126 | (334) 844-4145 |
Website Feedback | Privacy | Copyright ©