Minutes of the General Faculty Meeting
October 9, 2012
Broun Hall Auditorium
Faithfully Submitted by:
Robin Jaffe, University Senate Secretary
Full transcript for Gen Faculty Meeting October 9, 2012
Call to Order
William Sauser: University Senate Chair called the meeting to order.
Minutes from April 10, 2012 General Faculty Meeting were accepted as posted
Remarks and Announcements
Office of the President
Dr. Jay Gogue, President
Dr. Gogue shared several items that going on, on campus and throughout our state that Auburn plays a key roll in.
1) Dr. Barbara Wilder’s and Dr. Constance Hendricks’ work with the health assessments of children and families in the Black Belt region of Alabama.
2) The securing an Egar type grant from the National Science Foundation by a team of 25 members of the faculty on campus lead by Dr. Mario Egan.
3) The large award to the Truman Pierce Institute by AT&T, over at the College of Education, a program to help students in very tough and low expectation level school district. A key person of the that program is Dr. Cindy Reed.
4) Rick Zapata’s and Carol Centrallo’s member’s of extension work with 160 shrimpers in Alabama after the 2010 BP spill.
5) The visit from the Consul General from Ecuador on campus.
6) The MRI Center, mentioned several in the news.
7) Dr. Jeffrey Katz’s and Dr. Tom Denny’s work with the MRI Center focusing on PTSD
8) The plans for in depth discussion on the strategic plan 2013-2017
9) SACS reaffirmation efforts led by Dr. Drew Clark.
10) Monthly meetings with Senate Executive have been very productive.
Office of the Provost:
Dr. Tim Boosinger, Provost
Items discussed and covered by the Provost included the President’s approval of portions of the Handbook, the revision of the Promotion and Tenure process, the naming of thirteen new professorships, the plan for the 2013-2017 strategic plan, the issues involving the retention and graduation rates for the university. The last item discussed by the Provost was concerning the March 2013 SACS visitation.
William Sauser, Senate Chair
Dr. Sauser introduced Gordon Stone who is the executive director of the Higher Education Partnership for Alabama who presented and discussed the purpose of the partnership.
1) Budget and Financial Update
Don Large, Executive Vice President
Presentation made and no discussion.
2) Campus Planning and Facilities Update
Dan King, Vice President, Facilities Administration
Presentation made and questions were asked by several members of the faculty.
Unfinished Business: William Sauser, Senate Chair
No Unfinished Business
New Business: William Sauser, Senate Chair
No New Business
Adjournment: William Sauser, Senate Chair
Meeting adjourned at 4:31 pm