Auburn University Moving Guidelines

Each move is unique in its requirements, and the following information on the different planning phases will provide general directions and discussion on the basics of planning a successful move.  To see all the details for each planning phase, just click on the phase and information will be shown.

Moving Process Check-List

The Initial Move Assessment is the primary move meeting with the department, Campus Relocation Coordinator, Project Manager and University Move Contractor.  This assessment establishes the cost, duration, and criteria of the move.   A walk-thru of the evacuating and new spaces will follow.

  • Identify all furnishings, equipment, and materials that need to be moved to new space.
  • Identify all furnishings, equipment, and materials that need to be sent to Surplus Property.
  • Identify all furnishings, equipment, and materials that need to be transferred to/from another department.
  • Identify dates and/or phases for the move.
  • Identify storage needs.
  • Identify packing needs.
  • Identify any special move needs or conditions (vary with project).
  • (See University Services Contact List).

Thorough and early planning results in an organized move that is more cost effective and makes for a less frustrating transition to your new space.  Scheduling, planning, and executing a move takes more effort and lead time than what is usually anticipated.

  • Department appoints a designee to be the Departmental Move Contact, who is the department’s primary contact.  On occasion, large projects may have multiple designees.  The contact(s) will have the significant responsibility of organizing the move and is the liaison between their department and Campus Relocation Coordinator, Project Manager, and University Move Contractor.  It’s important that the designee(s) have authority to plan and make decisions regarding the move. 
  • Pre-move meeting is conducted with Campus Relocation Coordinator, Department Members, Contract Mover Representative, and Project Manager. This is a secondary meeting to have all interested department members obtain packing and labeling directions from the University Contract  Mover, ask questions, and address concerns about the move.
  • Department contacts the university services necessary for set-up in the new location.  Examples would be setting up telephones, computers, relocating audio-visual equipment, and obtaining keys and swipe cards for the department.  Each university service will have their own protocol and requirements, so the earlier these services can be scheduled, the smoother the transition will be.  Each move is unique in the types of services that need to be contacted.   
  • Department plans disposal/recycling of unwanted materials, documents and electronics.  Disposing of materials may require removal, or scheduling of document shredding, and is time consuming.  Plan early to have Waste Reduction and Recycling Department (WRRD) provide extra garbage/recycle bins to dispose of excess pre-move garbage/waste, and to schedule any shredding dates.
  • Department assigns occupants their rooms/spaces and provides lay-outs of new space. These lay-outs need to be posted on the door of the new space no later than moving day.   The Facilities Interior Design Department can provide assistance with the lay-out of space.  Occupant will need to approve (by signature) the lay-out of space.  If design assistance is not required, a simple, hand-sketched lay-out is all that is needed.  It is important that the furnishings fit properly in the new space, and are arranged so that telephones and computers are lined up with their outlets.  If a space lay-out is not provided, then the move contractor will place furnishings near data jacks and electrical outlets.  Any additional moving of these items will result in additional charges.
  • Department inventories all furnishings and equipment for transfer, acquisition, and/or surplus.  It is critical that all items with a value that exceeds $5,000 be inventoried along with any items that have a University Property Control number on it.  All inventory, however, regardless of value or the presence of a Property Control Number needs to be accounted for via the AU Property Transfer System (via Banner Finance tab) available on line.  Contact Property Services or Surplus Property for any questions regarding their requirements.
  • Department prioritizes the sequence of move.  Department identifies key personnel and/or items that will require being moved first or last.   Often times, it is the case where these positions/items are critical to the continuing function or set up of the department.  Hand any priority list to the Move Contractor’s Lead Crew Chief when the moving crew arrives on moving day.
  • Copiers, machines, and other equipment that have a service contract will need to be moved by the contracted servicing vendor.  Please contact your servicing dealer to schedule the move of these items.

Department needs to be as thorough as possible in accounting for items being moved.  If there are special conditions that require additional move assistance, please request this in the initial move assessment.  Move requests made after the initial move assessment may result in additional cost, and will have to be approved by the Project Manager and/or Funding Source.  Pending approval, every effort will be made to accommodate any additional requirements of the move.

  • Depending on the project, storage can sometimes be arranged on campus.  If campus storage is not an option, the university move contractor has storage available for a monthly fee, and this needs to be noted in the initial budget and move assessment.
  • Prior to storage, it’s best to document the condition of furnishings, in writing or pictures. Pictorial documentation before and after items are stored is a good practice, and will eliminate any debate over initial and post move condition of a piece.
  • Personal items (Those items belonging to an individual, not purchased with University funds, therefore not belonging to the University) should not be put in storage.

Typically, each department is responsible for packing and unpacking their offices.  The University Move Contractor will move all furnishings, boxes, and materials.  Packing assistance by the move contractor is available if necessary for additional charges.

  • Pre-move meeting with the move contractor will cover packing requirements and options for packing supplies.
  • Auburn University Contractor will move any or all personal items.  Occupants who opt to move their own personal effects will be provided boxes and packing materials.
  • University Move Contractor will provide necessary packing materials and moving equipment.
  • Items will not be moved unless properly labeled.
  • Desks, bookcases, and file cabinets must be emptied prior to being moved.   Criteria for emptying file cabinets will be discussed in the pre-move meeting, however general policies for moving file cabinets are:

Lateral Files:  Empty all drawers. 

Vertical Files:  These can be moved fully loaded if file cabinet is in stable condition.

Note:  For all file cabinets, lock and secure file cabinets.  Make sure a key is available for all locking cabinets.

  • Try not to pack boxes too heavily.  Packing a box to weigh less than 50 pounds is advisable.  Exact weight is not important, but keeping boxes to a weight that can be easily moved is critical. 
  • Computers:  The University Move Contractor will move any/all computers.  The department can opt to move their own, but this will need to be noted in the Initial Move Assessment.  Computers will need to be disconnected from wall before contractor will move them. If computers and their components (CPU’s) are being sent to Property Surplus, care must be taken to remove confidential information.  Arrangements can then be made for computer pick up with Property Surplus.
  • Refrigerators:  Must be emptied and defrosted.  If refrigerators are being sent to Property Surplus, they need a work order to have the refrigerant removed prior to being sent to Property Surplus.
  • Dehumidifiers:  Must have water emptied from trays.
  • File information that is sensitive and confidential should be shredded or disposed of by the department.  Files should not be left behind as trash, and disposal is the responsibility of the department.  Contact the Waste Reduction and Recycling Department to assist with disposal or shredding of confidential documents. 
  • Liquid Inventory:  Liquids, regardless of their nature, should be packed accordingly:
    1. Hazardous liquids, materials or waste inventoried in the Chematix Inventory Management System should be assessed by Risk Management and Safety (RMS), and moved and disposed of  in accordance with applicable regulatory guidelines.  Assistance with moving hazardous chemicals can be arranged with RMS.
    2. Non-hazardous liquids or materials that are not inventoried in the Chematix Inventory Management System, such as common cleaning supplies and supplemental laboratory supplies (lubricants, fuels, etc.) will need to be moved by the department or RMS.  Consult the product’s Safety Data Sheets for safe and proper handling procedures.
    3. Non-hazardous liquid such as water coolers, inks, dyes, etc. can be moved by the University Contractor, but need to be properly packed and labeled so that the movers are aware that the contents are liquid in nature.  Liquid containers placed in boxes need to be placed upright, sealed tightly, and secured to prevent leakage and breakage.  The University Contract Mover will be able to provide plastic crates for stable transport of non-hazardous liquids.
Important Note for Packing Liquids: Damages to wood, electrical equipment, paper products, or floors can occur when boxes aren’t properly packed and identified as having liquid content. Please share this important packing information with students or associates who assist with the packing process.
  • Will the furnishings/equipment you’re moving fit through all the doorways going to and in to the new space?
  • If moving electrical equipment or machines, are the outlets in the new space compatible and adequate to carry the electrical load?
  • On moving day, personal valuables such as purses, etc., will need to be stored or secured off of the move site.
  • Resist lifting of boxes and furniture.  Ask move contractor to assist with any moving or lifting.
  • Departmental Move Contact  will be the primary point of contact between the department, Campus Relocation Coordinator and University Move Contractor during the course of the move.  One point of contact with the department will eliminate confusion and will properly channel questions. 
  • Note if there are any damaged or missing items, make a thorough list, and bring to the attention of the Campus Relocation Coordinator.  Taking pictures before and after a move is a good way of documenting the damage.
  • Note if all furniture has been satisfactorily placed.
  • If cardboard boxes are used in the course of the move, please designate a safe area to stack collapsed boxes for pick up.  The boxes need to be located so as to not present a tripping hazard or block exits.  Box pick- up can be arranged with the University Move Contractor, or through the Waste Reduction and Recycling Department.  Cardboard boxes can be re-used, so please check and see if another department needs these prior to disposal.
  • Department needs to coordinate with Waste Reduction and Recycling Department to have additional garbage/recycling bins delivered and picked  up due to the extra garbage generated in the pre-move and post-move process.
  • It is good to have rags and some cleaning supplies or a hand vacuum handy after move in to wipe down furnishings and spot clean floors.
  • After move-in is complete, cleaning services should resume. If additional cleaning services or special requests are needed after move-in, please contact Building Services or Contract Services.
  • Unless previously agreed to as part of a project, the evacuated space needs to be entirely cleared of all the department’s existing furnishings, equipment, materials, and debris.  Arrangements can be made with Property ServicesProperty SurplusWaste Reduction and Recycling Department, and Building Services for assistance.
  • Unless previously agreed to as part of a project, evacuated space needs to be left in “swept-clean” condition.
  • If the occupants are evacuating a space where the furnishings were purchased with the building and are being left behind, all furnishings must be properly emptied of office materials, personal belongings, and debris.
  • Unless previously agreed to as part of a project, the evacuating department will be charged for any removal of garbage, debris, furnishings, or equipment that has to be removed after move is complete.
  • Lab moves can sometimes involve hazardous waste or materials.  Such materials are typically not moved by the University Move Contractor, and need to be assessed by Risk Management and Safety (RMS).  Lab equipment used to conduct research must be decontaminated through RMS.  RMS personnel or their approved vendors are licensed to handle hazardous materials and are authorized to transport and disposal of these materials.  The department being moved must work with Risk Management and Safety for proper disposal of chemicals, materials and equipment that will no longer be used.  
  • The University Move Contractor will not physically detach anything from a building, nor will they re-attach anything to a building.  Any items such as wall mounted furniture, systems-type furnishings, projector screens, monitors, marker boards, etc., will need to be removed and re-installed via project instruction or work order request.

Last Updated: January 20, 2017