Auburn University Trustees approve campus master plan, four new facilities
By Gail Riese
Auburn University’s Board of Trustees on Friday (Nov. 15) approved the following property and facilities projects:
The Board approved the update to the Campus Master Plan. The last plan update was approved by the Board in 2008. “The Campus Master Plan defines the capacity of the campus to accommodate growth and change, and establishes an effective framework in which future campus operations and growth can occur. The Campus Master Plan Update is the result of an extensive, transparent, and open planning process that has involved senior administration, Colleges and Schools, the entire campus community, and other key stakeholders,” stated Dan King Assistant Vice President for Facilities Management. During the development of the Campus Master Plan, a space planning model was developed, facility requirements and priorities for all Colleges and Schools were identified, a long-term facility development capacity plan was established, future land use requirements and reserved land for its use were established, and Auburn’s first Landscape Master Plan was developed.
The Board approved the expansion of Foy Hall to include a new 2,600 square-foot dining venue (pictured above). In addition, outdoor seating and an overhead cover for patrons will be constructed in the Foy Hall courtyard. The project is located at the southwest corner of Foy Hall and the existing Foy Hall courtyard. The estimated total project cost is $1.6 million.
The Board approved phase one of an Equestrian Center construction project. This phase will feature a 48,600 square-foot pavilion roof structure to cover one of the College of Agriculture’s existing riding arenas. The arena is located in the equestrian and horse farm area on the south side of Wire Road across from the College of Veterinary Medicine. The $1.4 million project is being funded by donors. The Board of Trustees has named Infinity Architecture as the project architect.
The Board approved the project initiation and authorization to select an architect for the design of a new Aviation Education Facility to support the University’s Aviation Management program. Currently, the flight education operation is located at the Auburn University Regional Airport in temporary facilities.
The Board approved the project initiation and authorization to select an architect for the design of a new Recycling and Service Support Facility. The recycling support functions currently operate in the existing Food Service warehouse near Lowder Hall. The Campus Master Plan Update calls for the demolition of the building to create future expansion space for the Harbert College of Business. The new Recycling and Service Support Facility is expected to be constructed at the Facilities Management complex on West Samford Avenue.
The Board approved a five-year lease for the Aviation Accreditation Board International (AABI). The leased office space is within an Auburn-owned building located at 3410 Skyway Drive in Auburn.
The Board approved a hunting lease on a University-owned 160-acre property in Coosa County that is managed by the Auburn University School of Forestry and Wildlife Sciences and the Alabama Agricultural Experiment Station. The lease will allow hunting on forest plots and some unused experiment stations.
The Board approved a centennial marker commemorating the 100th anniversary of the Auburn University Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi. Founded in 1897, Phi Kappa Phi is an honor society representing all academic disciplines. Auburn’s chapter was chartered in 1914 and is the thirteenth-oldest chapter of the Society. The proposed location for the marker is Ross Square.
Last Updated: Apr 07, 2014