2013 Open Enrollment
November 1 - December 2, 2013


It's time for Open Enrollment for benefits for 2014!

Open Enrollment begins on November 1 and will end on December 2, 2013 at 4:45 PM. During this time, you may enroll in, cancel or make changes to your benefits elections.

Open Enrollment announcements and information have been mailed to the campus address of all benefits eligible employees.

You may access additional information about the Open Enrollment process, the benefits that are available to you and the changes to benefits for 2014 via the links below.


The Premiums for the Health Plan, Dental Plan, and Vision Plan remain unchanged for 2014.

"Getting Ready for 2014" Benefits Fair

AUM Human Resources will host the 2014 Benefits Fair on November 6, 2013, on the tenth floor of the Library Tower, from 10am to 3pm.

Payroll and Employee Benefits will be hosting the 2014 Benefits Fair on November 13 and 14, 2013, at the OIT Building on Lem Morrison Drive, from 8am to 6pm each day.

Do I Need to Enroll if I Don't Want to Make Any Changes?

If you are currently enrolled in health, dental, vision and cancer insurance and you don't want to make any changes to your coverages, there is nothing you need to do to continue them - no action on your part will be deemed to represent your wish for your elections to carry over into 2014. However, if you are currently enrolled in the Flexible Spending Account, you must re-enroll
or your FSA contributions will end as of December 31, 2013.

Benefits At A Glance
Open Enrollment FAQ



Health, Dental or Vision Plans
Forms may be obtained from Payroll & Employee Benefits or printed as follows:

Enrollment in the Auburn University Dental Plan requires a two-year commitment.

To enroll your dependents in the health, dental or vision plans, you must provide proof of dependent eligibility. Appropriate documentation varies but may include (see Eligibility Requirements for 2014):

  • Copy of marriage certificate if adding an eligible spouse (as recognized by the State of Alabama)
  • Copy of birth certificate if adding an eligible child

Cancer Plans

To enroll or change your participation in the cancer insurance contact Johnson+Sterling, Inc. locally at 334-887-5533, toll-free at 866-887-5533 or by e-mail at AUBenefits@johnsonsterling.com. A representative will attend each Benefit Fair and will be available at 212 Ingram Hall without appointment on November 1, 25 and 26, and on December 2. A representative will also be at AUM Human Resources without appointment on December 2. If you would like to make an appointment, a representative will be available at the offices of Johnson+Sterling at 570 Devall Drive in Auburn on November 1 and 12, and on December 2.

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA's)

Continued participation in Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) requires re-enrollment each plan year. For FSA only employees have the option to complete a paper Open Enrollment form or participate in online enrollment via Self Service Banner.

Instructions for FSA online enrollment via SSB:     From the AU home page:
    1.    Click on "AU Access"; Sign on with your user name and password
    2.    Select the "Employee Services" tab
    3.    Click on "Self Service Banner"
    4.    From Employee Tab click on "Flexible Spending Account Plan Open Enrollment"
    5.    Complete online enrollment process
    6.    Click on "Submit"

Using the same process, you may return to change/modify your elections up until 4:45 p.m. December 2, 2013, at which time the Open Enrollment period ends.



New FSA Administrator

WageWorks, the nation's largest independent provider of consumer-directed spending solutions, will become the new administrator of the Flexible Spending Accounts for 2014. WageWorks has helped thousands of employers support millions of participants in the administration of pre-tax benefits and currently serves 9,500 FSA clients. They currently have more than 1.5 million debit card participants using their own proprietary debit card.

If you participated in the FSA Plan during 2013, your election will end December 31, 2013.
You must re-enroll each year.

Chappelle Consulting will continue to administer the grace period run out for the 2013 plan year, allowing you to use 2013 deducted funds until March 15, 2014. Any claim forms for expenses incurred during the 2013 plan year must be submitted to Chappelle by March 31, 2014 in order to be reimbursed.


Tobacco Surcharge

All Auburn University employees enrolled in the Health Plan are charged a $20.00 per month tobacco surcharge. However, non-tobacco users can have the $20.00 surcharge waived by certifying that they and their spouse (or Sponsored Adult Dependent), if covered by the Plan, are not tobacco users. Employees must certify their tobacco use status to Payroll & Employee Benefits to qualify for the waiver. As an alternative, the employee, spouse, or Sponsored Adult Dependent may complete the "Pack It Up" Tobacco Cessation Program through the Auburn University Pharmaceutical Care Center to qualify for the waiver. Additional information about the Pack It Up program may be found at http://pharmacy.auburn.edu/phs/aupcc/pack_it_up.htm.


Eligibility Requirements for Dependents

Beginning January 1, 2014, the following categories of dependents will be eligible for benefits through Auburn University (see Eligibility Requirements for 2014).

  • Spouse as recognized by the State of Alabama (including a Common Law Spouse)
  • Children (including a child for whom you have permanent legal custody) - certain age requirements apply
  • Sponsored Adult Dependent
  • Sponsored Child Dependent

What is a Sponsored Adult Dependent?

A benefit eligible employee may add one "Sponsored Adult Dependent" for benefit coverage if he/she meets all of the following requirements (see Eligibility Requirements for 2014):

  • Shares a primary residence with the employee, other than as a tenant/renter, and has lived with the employee for the last 12 months
  • Is at least age 19
  • Is not a relative of the employee
  • Is not an employee of the employee
  • Neither the Sponsored Adult Dependent nor the employee is married as recognized by the State of Alabama

What is a Sponsored Child Dependent?

A child of a person who would qualify as a "Sponsored Adult Dependent" for benefit coverage may also be enrolled our benefits (see Eligibility Requirements for 2014).


Payroll & Employee Benefits
212 Ingram Hall      Auburn University, AL 36849      Phone 334-844-4183      Fax 334-844-1799

Auburn University | Auburn, Alabama 36849 | (334) 844-4000
Website Feedback | Privacy | Copyright ©