Campus-Based Student Loans

Frequently Asked Questions


Payments for the Perkins, Health Professions and Institutional Loans are made through Heartland ECSI (formerly Campus Partners), Auburn's loan servicer. You may access your loans at in order to pay on-line, make changes to your address, etc. Please contact Heartland ECSI (formerly Campus Partners), with any questions on your loan account.

Heartland ECSI (formerly Campus Partners)
PO Box 2901
Winston-Salem, NC 27102-2901
Borrower Service Telephone Number: 1-800-334-8609
Website to e-sign prom notes:


Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Payments
Who gets my loan payments for Federal Perkins/NDSL's, Health Professions or Institutional loans?
Heartland ECSI (formerly Campus Partners)
PO Box 2901
Winston-Salem, NC 27102-2901
Borrower Service Telephone Number: 1-800-334-8609
Website to e-sign prom notes:

Please remember that we handle campus-based loans only. If you have a Federal Direct or FFEL loan, you will need to contact those lenders.
When do I begin repaying my loans?
After you graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time enrollment, you have six, nine or twelve months, depending on your loan fund, before you have to start repaying your loan. This is called the "grace period." During this time period, no interest accrues. Your repayment period begins the day after your grace period ends. This is when interest starts to accrue on your account. Your first payment will be due within one month after your repayment period begins.

Am I required to do an Exit Interview on these loans?
Yes, when you graduate, drop below half-time status or leave Auburn University you are required to do an Exit Interview on these loans. Please contact the Student Loan Office with any questions on how to complete the Exit Interview.

How do I make payments?
Once your grace period ends, you will start receiving monthly statements along with a return addressed envelope. This is not a coupon book. Make sure you include your ID number on your check and any correspondence.

What if I don't receive my monthly statement?
Just because you don't receive a statement does not mean that you don't owe your payment. Statements are mailed around the 10th of each month. If you do not receive your statement, Heartland ECSI could have an incorrect address or it may have been lost in the mail. It is your responsibility to contact Heartland ECSI with any change of address. Please contact Heartland ECSI to update your address. Or you may go on-line to make your address changes at

What is the interest rate on my loan(s)?
Each loan fund can have a different interest rate. Check your promissory note or your repayment schedule for your interest rate.

What is my monthly payment on my loan(s)?
Check your repayment schedule for your monthly payment.

Can I pay off my loan(s) early?
Yes, you may prepay all or part of the unpaid balance on your loans at any time, without an early-repayment penalty. Be sure to specify which loan you are prepaying.

Interest starts to accrue on your grace end date. Let's say your grace end date is 9/1/16. Your first payment is due 10/1/16. Interest starts to accrue 9/1/16; therefore, if you wanted to pay off your loan prior to accruing any interest, you would need to pay your loan off by your grace end date (9/1/16), NOT your first payment due date.

Remember: Prepaying a portion of your loan does NOT pay you ahead. You are still due for your next month's payment, UNLESS you specify on your payment stub or in a separate letter that this payment is an advanced payment.

Will I get any reminder letters during my grace period?
Yes, federal regulations require us to send out letters when you are 90, 150, and 240 days into your grace period (again, the days will depend on your loan fund.)

Where does the money come from to fund the Perkins/NDSL and Health Professions loan funds?
When federal loan funds are set up, the government provides to the school an initial amount to start operating a loan fund. From there on, the loan fund is usually a revolving account, which means that the money we receive from the payments of former borrowers is used to loan out money to current and future borrowers. If you default on your loan, then less money is available to these borrowers. So remember, when you are making your payments, you are allowing future borrowers the same opportunity to borrow money as you did.

I've borrowed a lot of money and have different loans. What if I can't remember where all my loans are?
Call 1-800-433-3243. This is a federal financial aid number. They have information on all your federal loans and where they are. You can also go on-line at

Is there a place I can go to informally resolve loan disputes and problems?
If the Student Loan Department in the Office of Student Financial Services has not been able to help you with your problem, the Office of Student Financial Assistance Programs has an SFA Ombudsman office. The SFA Ombudsman is working with student loan borrowers to informally resolve loan disputes and problems with some of their federal loans. Contact them by mail, phone or by web:


U.S. Department of Education
FSA Ombudsman Group
PO Box 1843
Monticello KY 42633
Phone: 1-877-557-2575
Fax: 606-396-4821