Student Financial Aid
Employment Opportunities


Many Auburn students earn money through either on-campus or off-campus part-time employment to assist with education and living expenses. By working 10-20 hours per week, students can reduce their need to borrow additional funds for college.

Federal Work Study (FWS)
The Federal Work Study Program is funded by the Federal Government. This program provides students with part-time employment. Eligibility for this program is dependent upon financial need and available funds. FWS employees are paid for actual hours worked. Students are assigned work based on information provided on the FWS Information Sheet which should be completed if FWS is included in the financial aid award offer. Work schedules and positions are arranged with the hiring department. Consideration is given to the student's class schedule.

Students must complete a FAFSA to be considered for this program. Application submission by the priority deadline (March 1) ensures maximum consideration but does not guarantee an award offer due to extremely limited funds.

Federal Work Study awards are made by the Office of Student Financial Aid. Once a student is awarded, job assignments are made by the Work Study Office based upon information provided by the student on the Work Study Information Sheet. Completed information sheets may be faxed to the Work Study Office at 334-844-6867 or mailed to 203 Martin Hall, Auburn, AL 36849.

Students participating in Work Study maintain a time sheet in the department to which they are assigned and are paid for actual hours worked. It is the student's responsibility to arrange an agreeable work schedule with their supervisor. Work study students cannot work during periods of non-enrollment.

Money Talks Program
The Office of Student Financial Services offers a unique employment opportunity for qualified Graduate Work Study Employees to staff our MONEY TALKS Financial Aid Tele-Counseling Center. Qualified employees will receive incoming financial aid telephone inquiries, respond to caller's questions, or transfer callers with more complex inquiries to the appropriate advisor.

Prospective employees must have completed and received the results of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and demonstrate unmet need. Interested students who have not yet completed the FAFSA can apply at

The Financial Aid MONEY TALKS Tele-Counseling Center will be open from 7:45 a.m to 4:45 p.m. Monday through Friday. Tele-counselors will work approximately 20 hours per week, with work hours arranged around the student's class schedule. Required skills include a high degree of dependability, a patient, customer-oriented attitude, and the desire to be the welcoming voice of Office of Student Financial Services. It is imperative that you be able to work during exams weeks and term breaks.

Compensation will be at an hourly rate of $10. There is no Tuition Waiver attached to this position. A paid training period of approximately 30 hours will be required.

Qualified graduate students may print and complete the MONEY TALKS Tele-Counselor Application. Completed applications should be returned to the AU Financial Aid Office at 203 Martin Hall, Auburn, AL 36849, or via fax to 334-844-6867.

On-Campus Student Employment
General Student Employment is a non-need based program and does not require completion of the FAFSA in order to apply for vacant positions. More information about student employment may be found on the Student Employment Office site. You may also visit the Student Employment Office in Martin Hall 303 or call 334-844-4744 for assistance. These jobs may be either on or off campus.

Off-Campus Student Employment
The Alabama State Employment Office is another good source for part-time positions. Students may contact the employment office in person during regular business hours. The Opelika-Auburn News also publishes searchable local job classified ads.

Documents You Will Need
It is important for students seeking employment to know that the U.S. Department of Homeland Security Citizenship and Immigration Services requires employers to verify the employment eligibility of all new employees. New hires, including Work Study employees, must therefore complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, or Form I-9, and present to their employer supporting documents to establish identity as well as employment eligibility. These documents might typically be a passport, a driver's license or school id with picture, and a social security card or a certified birth certificate. Hiring agencies are required to view the original documents, so faxes or photocopies are not acceptable.

Please be sure to bring these documents to school with you if you plan to work. International students may contact the Office of International Education in 228 Foy Hall for assistance in securing the necessary documents for work eligibility.