Student Financial Aid
Frequently Asked Quesitons
Student Loans


Am I required to do an Entrance Counseling? How and where?
Yes, the Entrance Counseling for new borrowers is a requirement for student loans. You may complete the process on the Direct Loan site. The AU Financial Aid Office has computers available for your use during regular business hours if you do not have access otherwise.

Am I required to ESign a Master Promissory Note (MPN) ?
Yes, by completing and ESigning your MPN, you are promising to repay all student loans made under this note. You may have to sign only one MPN for the life of your student loan. An MPN expires ten years after the note is signed. An MPN is revoked if the first disbursement is not made within one year.

Will I be able to consolidate all of my loans after graduation?
Yes, please contact the US Department of Education about your Loan Consolidation options.

What are my Direct Loan repayment options?
There are several repayment plans available. Please visit for information about repayment plans and a repayment calculator.

Can my parent receive a Direct Loan?
Parents of dependent students who wish to borrow a Parent PLUS Loan should refer to the Forms and Documents page for the Direct PLUS Loan Application. Instructions are included on the form.

How and when do I complete a Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN)?
You should complete a Direct Loan Master Promissory Note as soon as possible if you plan to borrow a Subsidized or Unsubsidized Loan.

Do I have to complete Direct Loan Entrance Counseling each year?
No, you will not be required to complete Entrance Counseling each year if you have already completed the requirement. New borrowers are required to complete Direct Loan Entrance Counseling.

Where can I go to consolidate my loans if I have more than one lender?
After graduation, you have a choice. You may either make individual payments to your previous lender(s) and to the Department of Education for your Direct Loans or you can consolidate your loans into one simple payment. You may explore your options, as discussed above with the Federal Direct Loan Consolidation Program.

How do I contact the Direct Loan Program?

PIN Website: A Federal PIN is required in order to eSign your Direct Loan MPN.

Master Promissory Note: A Direct MPN is required of all Direct Loan borrowers.

Entrance Counseling: Federal Direct Entrance Counseling is required for new borrowers who have not already completed Entrance Counseling.

Account Information: Online billing information.

Loan Consolidation: Consolidate your FFELP loans with your Direct Loans when you graduate if desired.