Professors, alumni and students recognized by Phi Kappa Phi for academic excellence
Drs. Karen Rabren and Craig B. Darch, both of the College of Education, Dr. Kimberly Braxton Lloyd of the Harrison School of Pharmacy, and Dr. William E. Hardy, Jr. of the College of Agriculture, were initiated into the Auburn University Chapter of Phi Kappa Phi.
Rabren, an associate professor of special education, is the director of the Auburn Transition Institute and has been on the Education faculty since 2000. Darch, a Humana-Germany-Sherman distinguished professor, is a professor of special education and has been at Auburn since 1982. Lloyd, an associate professor of pharmacy since 1998, is the director of the Auburn University Pharmaceutical Care Center. Hardy is professor and Associate Dean for Instruction in the College of Agriculture. He has been at Auburn since 1972.
Also initiated were alumni H. Gray Broughton and Jamie Nix.
Brougton, who received his master’s in rehabilitation counseling in 2006, is CEO and owner of Broughton Associates, Inc., and serves as a member of the board of directors of Northstar Academy in Richmond, Va. He has also served as the Commissioner of the Virginia Department of Rehabilitation Services.
Nix, who received his bachelor’s in music (trombone performance) in 1996, has served as faculty at the University of Texas at Austin and also was the Marching Band Director and Associate Director of Bands at the University of Michigan. He has arranged music for bands and ensembles throughout the United States.
In addition, Phi Kappa Phi also inducted 458 students this past academic year.
Phi Kappa Phi, founded in 1897, is the nation’s oldest, largest and most selective all-discipline honor society. It promotes the pursuit of excellence in all fields of higher education; recognizes outstanding achievement by students, faculty and others through election to membership and through various awards for distinguished achievement; and engages the community of scholars in service to others.
The Auburn University Chapter was established in 1914 and initiates more than 400 members annually. Membership is open to qualified scholars with integrity and high ethical standards from all academic disciplines.