Auburn University Outstanding Advising Awards Nomination Guidelines
- New Advisor – Advisor for less than three years by nomination deadline (more than 50% of duties are academic advising)
- Advisor – Advisor for three or more years by the nomination deadline (more than 50% of duties are academic advising)
- Faculty Advisor (less than 50% of duties are academic advising)
- Academic Advising Administrator
Call for Nominations:
The first business day of September
Criteria: (mirrors NACADA awards criteria)
Nominations will be evaluated on the evidence of qualities and practices that distinguish the nominee as an outstanding academic advisor. Such evidence may include, but is not limited to:
- Interpersonal/human relations skills
- Professional practices
- Documented success
- Documented advisor development
Submission Procedures: (mirrors NACADA submissions procedures)
- Nomination letter -- In this letter, the nominator should summarize the nominee's qualifications and why the individual is being nominated for the award. This letter should provide the evidence and specific examples that demonstrate the nominee's outstanding performance. Nominators should solicit input from others as they craft their nomination letters and are most welcome to include quotes or comments from colleagues and students. Nomination letter SHOULD NOT exceed three pages.
- Letters of Support -- You should include two additional letters of support. These letters may come from colleagues, employees, supervisors, or students- anyone who might augment the selection committee's understanding of the nominee. Letters SHOULD NOT exceed two pages.
- A 1-pp. job description.
- A 2-3pp. statement of advising philosophy.
- Documentation of exemplary advising performance. Appropriate documentation may include (but is not limited to) summaries of student advising evaluations, student and alumni testimonials, and letters of support from campus colleagues.
Note: Winning individuals are expected to represent Auburn University in the regional and national level NACADA awards. Please visit the following site to see more information of requirements and submission procedures: http://www.nacada.ksu.edu/Programs/Awards/index.htm.
Deadline for Nominations: October 10th. Decisions will be made by Nov. 1. Return packets to Dr. Constance Relihan 209 Samford Hall
*Candidates for Outstanding Advising Awards must be eligible to be a member of NACADA.