Rural Medicine Crisis in Alabama
Medically Underserved Areas of Alabama
Medically Underserved Areas
Data Source: Heath Resources and Services Administration, HHS. Map created by RUPRI Community Information Resource Center Interactive Map Room: http:///circ.rupri.org
Alabama's Rural Health at a Glance
• 55 of 67 of Alabama's counties are considered rural.
• 2,061,567 residents, or 44.4% of the entire Alabama population, live in rural areas.
• There are 59 primary care health professional shortage areas in Alabama.
• In 2004, Alabama rural communities had only one primary care physician for every 2,200 citizens. In urban communities, there was one primary care physician for every 990 individuals.
• Nine Alabama counties do not have hospitals.
• 33 of 55 rural Alabama counties do not provide labor & delivery service.
Alabama suffers from a shortage of primary care physicians
In rural Alabama, this shortage exists in context with factors such as