Commonly Asked Questions




BAH and book allowance


Q: “When will I receive my book allowance?”
A: The AU Veterans Resource Center cannot estimate as to when you will receive any of your benefits. If there was no delay in this office certifying your coursework, generally the VA pays book allowance before the start of the term. If it is your first term on VA benefits this is usually delayed. You may call the VA Regional Office at 1-888-442-4551 to request an estimation as to when you should expect to receive your book allowance.

Q: “How will I receive my book allowance?”
A: The Post 9/11 GI Bill pays the student a book allowance that will be sent via direct deposit to the bank account indicated by the student on the VA-1990/E (Application for the Post 9/11 GI Bill).  If you have questions concerning this account, or if you need to change this direct deposit account, you must contact the VA Regional office at 1-888-442-4551.

Q: “Where do I get my books?”
A: Do not go to the scholarship counter to obtain books, unless you are on a separate scholarship that specifically pays for your books.  Since the book stipend is an allowance that comes directly to you, it is entirely up to you to decide where you want to purchase your books in order to receive the best deal.  Many students prefer the off-campus bookstores or online shopping, but be aware of the fact that some courses require Auburn University specific books that can only be purchased in the AU Bookstore.  The list below is comprised of the bookstores in Auburn, and the number one online retailer for text books is

Bookstores in Auburn:

  1. J&M Bookstore
  2. Anders Bookstore
  3. Big Blue Bookstore
  4. Shug's Bookstore
  5. Auburn University Bookstore*

*AU Bookstore is the campus bookstore located in Haley Center.

Q: “How is the amount of book money I receive determined?”
A: The Post 911 GI Bill pays a book stipend at the rate of $41.67 per credit hour taken. This stipend has a maximum payable amount of $1,000 per school year (Fall, Spring, and Summer).  Therefore, if you are taking 12 hours in the Fall Semester you will receive approximately $500.04 in book money for that semester if you are rated to receive 100% of GI Bill benefits.  If you are rated at less than 100%, then you must multiply the dollar amount ($500.04) times the percentage that you are rated.

Q: “Will my book allowance be enough to cover the cost of all of my books?”
A:  This is a question that cannot be directly answered with a yes or no.  Depending on the courses you are taking, the materials required by the teachers, and how much you are able to shop around will determine if your book allowance will cover the total cost.  The best answer to this question is that sometimes it will be more than enough and sometimes it won’t be enough, and that is why we encourage you to plan ahead when it comes to purchasing your textbooks and other required course materials.

Q: “Why is the amount I received for the Spring Semester less than the Fall Semester when I am taking the same amount of credit hours?”
A: The most likely answer to this question is that you have reached the maximum amount ($1,000) of allowable book stipend for the school year.  An example of this would be, if you take 15 credit hours in the Fall, you will receive approximately $625 in book allowance for that term.  Then, if you take 15 credit hours the following spring semester, instead of receiving $625, you will only receive $375 because of the $1000 cap per school year.

Q: “Why did I not receive a book allowance for the Summer semester?”
A:  The most likely answer to this question is the same as the answer to the previous question.  If you have already been allotted $1,000 in book allowance for the previous Fall and Spring semesters, then unfortunately you will not receive any book allowance for the summer terms.  In this case, your $1,000 per school year allowance would restart in the following fall term because the school year starts in the fall.

Q: “I’m on Active Duty… do I receive a book allowance?”
A: “Yes, as of August 1, 2011, all Active Duty personnel using the Post 9/11 GI Bill will receive the book allowance entitlement.

Q: “How much do I receive for my monthly housing allowance(BAH/MHA)?”
A: “All BAH/MHA rates are based off the current DoD rates for the Auburn area (zip 36849) at the E5 with dependent rate.  Current DoD BAH rates can be found at:

Undergraduate Course Loads:  FULL TIME ≥ 12 hours

Total Hours 12 11 10 9 8 7 6
BAH/MHA Rate 100% 90% 80% 75% Round up to 80% 70% 60% 0%

Graduate Course Loads: FULL TIME ≥ 9 hours

Total Hours 9 8 7 6 5 4
BAH/MHA Rate 100% 90% 80% 60% 60% 0%

**Full time will be determined by the Graduate School or Department for special programs such as Executive MBA & Physician’s MBA.

**Distance Learning students will receive national BAH average and will not be identified by their specific address of residence or Auburn University’s address. **Distance Learning Graduate Students who attend classes on campus for 2 or more days per term will receive BAH as an in-state resident student attending on campus classes.

Tuition and Fees


Q: “Will the Post 9/11 GI Bill pay for my out-of-state tuition and fees?”
A: The Post 9/11 GI Bill only pays for in-state tuition and fees at Auburn University. You will be responsible for paying the remaining tuition and fees not covered. Please contact the Residency office in the Registrar in Mary Martin Hall to determine your residency status. Auburn University does not automatically grant military and their families’ in-state tuition simply because of their military status.

Q: “I’m a veteran/member of a military family. Will Auburn University grant me in-state tuition?”
A: This office cannot determine resident status for individuals to qualify for in-state tuition. Please direct all residency questions to the Office of the Registrar at 334-844-2726.

Q: “I received a letter in the mail from the VA office that states, “Your school did not charge you tuition and fees.” Does this mean the VA is not going to pay for my tuition and fees?”
A: This letter generated because we have only certified the students BAH and books to the VA. Our policy is to wait until after the 6th class day to certify tuition and fees with the VA. After this certification is sent to the VA then another letter will be sent to the student from the VA with the amount we certified for tuition and fees.

Q: “When will I get paid my tuition and fees?”
A: We do not certify the student’s tuition and fees until after the 6th class day. Estimated arrival time of the tuition and fees is sometimes difficult to determine.  The Regional VA office frequently experiences delays in processing certifications.  These estimations can range from 2-5 weeks. Please prepare financially. If you would like to receive an estimation as to when your certification will be processed and paid to you please call the VA Regional Office at 1-888-442-4551. **We do suggest you visit this office to request your certification ID number before you call the Regional Office to assist them in finding your certification.**

Q: “What is a memo?”
A: A “memo” is not a credit or a payment. It is a place holder. It tells you and us (the AU VA) how much money is estimated to come in. It prevents the amount estimated from “coming due” and requiring a payment from you. You are responsible for ensuring you see a “memo” on your bill. You need to let us know if you do not see this “memo.”  It is also important to remember that Financial Aid such as: loans, pell grants, and scholarships pay the bill first.  If you do not have enough “Fin Aid” to cover the cost of your entire bill (includes GI Bill “memo”) you will not receive a refund at the beginning of the semester. You will have to wait until your GI Bill has paid AU to receive a refund (if applicable). You are responsible to pay the amount not covered by the Post 9/11 GI Bill, scholarships, pell grants, etc.

Q: “Why did my loan and/or pell grant pay my bill?”
A: All financial aid such as a scholarship, loan, and/or pell grants will always pay the students bill first. If the financial aid pays the entire account balance the student will receive a full refund when Post 911 GI Bill tuition and fees arrive to the students Auburn University account. Student loans, pell grants, and PACT, etc do NOT affect the GI Bill.

What does the Post 9/11 GI Bill cover?


Q: “Does the Post 9/11 pay for minors?”
A: No, the GI Bill does not pay for minors. **Unless they are required and built into the curriculum program you are currently getting your degree in.**

Q: “Will the Post 9/11 pay for any class I want to take?”
A: No, the Post 9/11 only pays for classes that are required for your degree program!
Exception: In a student’s graduating semester, as long as the student takes one class that is required for the student to graduate and receive their degree, the student can register for other classes of their choosingin order to register for 12hrs (full time). This is called “rounding out.” The VA only allows this in a students graduating term.

Q: “Does the Post 9/11 GI Bill pay for my Dining Plan?”
A: The Post 9/11 does not cover the required Dining plans at Auburn University. The VA has determined that this is not a fee.

Q: “Does the Post 9/11 GI Bill pay for my Admission Deposit to Auburn University?”
A: No, per VA regulations we cannot certify this deposit for payment through the VA.

Q: “I’m taking a free elective Scuba Diving class. The instructor told the class that there are extra fees to take this class, but that these fees will not be charged to my e-bill. Will the Post 9/11 pay for these fees?”
A: Fees that are not identified on your University Bursar Bill cannot be covered/paid for by the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

Yellow Ribbon Program


Q: “Does Auburn University participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program?”
A: Auburn University has agreed to assist fifty (50) fully matriculated Post 9-11 GI Bill undergraduate, non-resident students who meet the program qualifications and complete the Auburn University Yellow Ribbon Program application process (see below). Auburn University will contribute up to one-half of the cost of tuition (per student per academic year) to be applied to the unmet portion (out of state) tuition and fee costs. This amount will be matched by the VA. The combined amount of the contributions under the Yellow Ribbon Program may not exceed the amount of the total unmet charges.

Q: “How do I determine if I am eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program?”
A: Only individuals entitled at the 100% benefits level may receive Yellow Ribbon funding and who are categorized as out-of-state students at AU. All student must have a financial need to qualify. Not eligible: Active Duty personnel, Spouses of Active Duty personnel using Transferred Entitlement, and Fry Scholarship recipients.

Q: “How do I apply for the Yellow Ribbon Program?”
A: Once you are admitted to Auburn University and have received a student Id# you can apply online for the YRP. Click on GI Bill Programs and then CH33 Post 9/11 GI Bill and look under the YRP section for the link. Once you complete the application, the Veterans Resource Center will note the date and time it was turned in and assign the application a number. You will be added to a waiting list and after each term ends, the Veterans Resource Center will determine if there are any openings to award new recipients. If a current Yellow Ribbon recipient graduates or fails to maintain satisfactory academic progress, a new applicant is eligible to receive the YRP and will be selected in the order we received the application. An email will be sent to those awarded.



Q: “If I fail a class or if a receive a “D” in a class that requires a “C” or better, will the Post 9/11 GI Bill pay for me to retake it?
A: Yes, if you fail a course or if you receive a “D” in a course that requires a grade of “C” or better, the Post 9/11 will cover the cost of retaking the course.

Q: “What if I fail a class because I did not attend the class?”
A: If you fail to attend a class and receive an “F”, “FA”, or “NR” for that class you will be recertified back to the date you stopped attending the course. This often results in overpayments in tuition and housing. Do not fail to attend a class! The VA is paying for you to attend school!

Scholarships, Pell Grants, Federal Loans, Graduate Teaching Assistant Waivers


Q: “How do Scholarships affect my Post 9/11 GI Bill?”
A: If the stipulations state the scholarship is to be allocated directly for tuition and fees   (only for tuition and fees,  solely for tuition and fees,  the equivalent of tuition and fees, etc.)  then the funds will be taken into consideration when determining the amount of tuition and fees to request from VA. The scholarship will be deducted from the VA eligible tuition and fees and we will request the remaining balance from the VA.  NOTE: If the Scholarship does not state what it is to be used for, then it is considered a General Scholarship and it will not affect the Post 9/11 GI Bill.          

Q: “How do University and/or Outside Waivers, Grants or Fellowships affect my Post 9/11 GI Bill?”

A:   Any tuition/fee waivers or funds that are designated for tuition/fees will be considered when determining the amount of your tuition and fees that can be requested from the VA.  Any tuition/fee designated waiver, grant or fellowship will be deducted from the VA eligible tuition and fees and the remaining balance will be requested from VA. *Note*: Title IV aid (Pell grant, Stafford loans, etc.)  do not affect GI Bill.


Auburn University | Auburn, Alabama 36849 | (334) 844-8167 |
Website Feedback | Privacy | Copyright ©