Changing your Major?

***In most cases, it is best to project your change in major for a future term and not in the current term***

***Your class schedule must match the requirements for your current curriculum at all times***

  • Example: John Doe is currently a Business Administration major. He is enrolled in Business courses. By midterm he decides he wants to change his major to Mechanical Engineering. If he changes his major to engineering at midterm, his VA benefits will be canceled because he will then be a Mechanical Engineering major taking Business Administration courses. The VA only pays for classes in the students major.
  • Example: If John Doe waits until the next term to project his change of major into Mechanical Engineering, he can then register for the upcoming term for engineering courses. Therefore, when he starts the next term he will be a Mechanical Engineering major taking Mechanical Engineering courses. His VA benefits will not be in jeopardy and will pay for the courses.

Step #1

Check with an advisor in the department or college to see if you meet the GPA requirements in order to change your major.


If you are approved, your advisor will instruct you on how to officially change your major within the your current department/college and for your future department/college.


You will then need to print an Academic Advisor Letter to turn into your new advisor. Please follow the instructions on the letter. You must obtain a curriculum sheet marked showing the classes you have already taken at other schools and at AU. You must also obtain an approved class schedule. The advisor needs to indicate on the schedule as to whether or not each individual class is approved or not approved towards your major.


Turn in your new Academic Advisor paperwork into AU Veterans Resource Center in 217 Foy Hall. Or scan and email to

Auburn University | Auburn, Alabama 36849 | (334) 844-8167 |
Website Feedback | Privacy | Copyright ©