HSOP students must have a current laptop computer to satisfy the laptop requirement. You are not required to purchase from any specific vendor. HSOP OIT fully supports Windows-based systems, and provides limited support for Apple/Mac hardware and applications.
The laptops are used for a variety of tasks, including: on-line research, website development, email contact with faculty and other students, course evaluations, on-line testing, pharmacotherapeutics, presentation design and development, on-line course material access and download, Rx software installation, electronic medical records, portfolio applications, general coursework documentation, database development, assignment submissions, etc. Each year new uses are integrated into the curriculum.
NOTE: Incoming students are NOT required to have their laptops set up by HSOP OIT. Most resources are now online. You can download free AntiVirus software (Sophos/Microsoft Security Essentials, AVG) from AU Install once you have your username and password established for login. You may also want to install Tiger Print software in order to utilize the printers in the Walker Building. Go to: www.auburn.edu/download
Laptop Minimum Requirements
Most current laptop models will meet basic minimum hardware requirements with little or no configuration upgrades. If you own a laptop that is currently running Windows 7 or 8, you should be able to use it for the foreseeable future. You are not required to have Windows 10; however, most new systems will come with Windows 10.
- Operating System: Windows 7, 8, or 10 (see Note 1 below)
- Microsoft Office 2011/2013 (see Note 2 below)
- Processor: Dual-Core (or comparable) Processor 2.0 GHz or better
- RAM: 4 GB (8 GB recommended)
- Hard Drive: 250 GB or more
- Networking: integrated dual band 802.11 a/b/g/n compatible wireless and 10/100 Ethernet port (see Note 3 below)
- HDMI Video Port (or an adaptor to convert the video output or your laptop to HDMI) (see Note 4 below)
- Microsoft Windows XP will no longer be allowed on the AU campus network.
- Auburn now offers students free access to Office365 via the Student Advantage Program. This includes Office Online and Office Mobile. For more information, access this link.
- HSOP has upgraded its wireless network to utilize 5GHz (as well as 2.5GHz) connectivity for your laptop, phone and other devices. This will greatly improve the connectivity within the Walker Bldg. A dual band system on the laptop is recommended, but is not necessary, and may not be available on all laptops.
- Along with the wireless upgrade, HSOP is also upgrading all of our video conferencing and AV equipment to HD (High Definition) quality. The old standard video output - VGA or XVGA - is no longer installed in most new laptops. Also, the new HD displays being installed in the student team rooms and other areas will no longer accept VGA/XVGA connections. There are a wide variety of video outputs that come on new laptops and other devices. HSOP has standardized on HDMI in order to support MOST devices. These connections are used when presenting or displaying the computer on the HD display in the room. Each team room will have an HDMI pigtail that connects to the display. If your laptop does NOT have an HDMI output, you will need to purchase an adaptor that accepts a male HDMI connector. For more information on connectors, see the List of Video Connectors.
- New software applications are being integrated into the curriculum this fall. In particular, WebEHR (a web-enabled Electronic Health Record) will be required for PPE. WebEHR will ONLY work using a specially configured Internet Explorer browser. Mac users will be required to install some means to run Windows/IE on their systems. HSOP will provide access to VMWare Fusion and will provide Windows 7 OS to install on Macs. There will be sessions dedicated to installing and configuring VMWare Fusion, Windows OS and IE.
Suggested Additions or Upgrades
- USB Flash Drive 1 GB or more
- Color Printer - laser or inkjet
- Webcam - built-in or USB
Auburn University Office of Information Technology has negotiated with various vendors to provide our students with the latest technology at a considerable discount. Each program is a bit different, and several makes and models of laptops will be available. Please review the information and on the vendor websites to make the best purchase decision. Go to this link for more information.
Some considerations to take into account:
- Make and Model of the hardware (Sony, Dell, HP, Apple, Lenovo, and many others)
- Price (from about $500 and up)
- Features (consider processor speed (minimum Dual-Core (or compatible) 2.0 GHz), screen size, weight, memory/RAM (4GB minimum - recommend 8GB or more), hard drive size (250GB minimum), etc.)
- Networking (integrated wired and wireless preferred - dual band 802.11a/b/g compatible)
- Webcam - used for connecting to faculty via videoconferencing.
- Pre-Installed Software & Applications (NOTE: Academic versions are okay - check with the AU Bookstore for availability and pricing)
- Auburn provides antivirus software to all students free of charge, so you do not need to purchase an antivirus application
- Auburn provides online TigerMail email and scheduling application via the web
- HSOP provides several Rx applications via network
- Warranty (1 year is typically standard, with multi-year at additional cost)
- Repair and Damage Options (fast turnaround, local service)
- Peripherals (such as printers, memory sticks, CD-RW, DVD, etc.)
- Financing Availability and Terms (multi-year options available)
Wireless access (802.11a/b/g/n) is available throughout HSOP. However, you will continue to need a standard 10/100 ethernet port - either integrated or via PCMCIA card. Recommend you purchase a standard Ethernet cable (CAT6) for use at the school.
If you have an existing laptop that meets or exceeds minimum specifications, or can be upgraded to meet specs, you do not need to purchase an additional laptop. Apple Macintosh laptops are acceptable. There is limited support for Mac on campus.
HSOP policy requires that you have a laptop available for your use.
Contact the Office of Academic and Student Affairs for more information.
You are not required to purchase selected models or from the vendors on this page.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your laptop purchase, contact the vendor for specific hardware and financing information, or HSOP OIT for general information on issues relating to software, networking requirements, etc. You may contact email@example.com.
Remember, this is a purchase, not a lease. This will be your computer. All hardware and software are your responsibility. Warranty service and repair must be handled through the vendor. HSOP OIT will be available to diagnose problems and handle networking issues.
Last Updated: March 23, 2016