A Message from Dean Hansen

Message from Dean Hanse

Alumni and Friends,

When faced with challenges or adversity in our daily lives, people bring to the table a variety of actions and attitudes. In these unique and interesting times we are in, I am continually amazed at the character, perseverance, and ingenuity of those in the pharmacy and pharmaceutical professions. For all of your hard work, I want to take a moment to thank you for stepping up and taking on the challenge in this time of crisis.

You are an essential piece to everyday life and are on the front line of battling and managing new things that come our way. While many are hiding from the virus, you are there as a shining example of how critical pharmacy is in the healthcare world and we are inspired by your work.

Within the Harrison School of Pharmacy, we are working to adapt and carry on as well. In my time at Auburn, I can definitely say that HSOP is at the forefront of embracing technology in the ways we operate. With faculty spread around the state and region along with campuses in Auburn and Mobile conducting coursework simultaneously, we are well-equipped to handle the challenges that come with remote and virtual learning and operations.

Our classes are carrying on with remote instruction, functioning under the university’s alternate operating model. More than a week in, things are transitioning smoothly and we will be operating in this manner for the rest of the semester. Unfortunately for the graduating class, commencement ceremonies have been postponed. With everything going on, we ask for your patience and flexibility as this class enters the workforce.

I am proud of our faculty, staff, and students as they show resilience and commitment to their work while operating in a safe manner. We continue to teach students, treat patients in our pharmacies and clinics, and conduct life-changing research.

We also want to be a resource for you, the pharmacists and scientists working on the front lines. We are here for you as you work to adapt to a new and unique practice model and the challenges that come with that. Our post-graduate education team is working hard to develop some online continuing education opportunities. We also currently have several home study options available at no charge and we invite you to take advantage of those opportunities. If there is anything that we can do for you, feel free to reach out to myself, the Drug Information Center (hsopdi@auburn.edu), or Director of Alumni & Professional Affairs Dr. Spencer Durham (durhash@auburn.edu).

We know this is an uncertain time, but please know the Auburn Family is behind you and supporting you as we navigate this process. Thank you very much for being a great representation of the profession and the Harrison School of Pharmacy.

Sincerely,

Richard A. Hansen, Ph.D., RPh.
Dean and Gilliland Professor

----------

About the Harrison School of Pharmacy

Auburn University’s Harrison School of Pharmacy is ranked among the top 20 percent of all pharmacy schools in the United States, according to U.S. News & World Report. Fully accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), the School offers doctoral degrees in pharmacy (Pharm.D.) and pharmaceutical sciences (Ph.D.) while also offering a master’s in pharmaceutical sciences. The School’s commitment to world-class scholarship and interdisciplinary research speaks to Auburn’s overarching Carnegie R1 designation that places Auburn among the top 100 doctoral research universities in the nation. For more information about the School, please call 334.844.8348 or visit http://pharmacy.auburn.edu.

Making Medications Work Through Innovative Research, Education and Patient Care

Last Updated: March 20, 2020