Serving Those Who Serve Our Country

2019 graduate Tyrome Brown finds his path in the Air Force

Dr. Tyrome Brown stands with the American flag in the background Dr. Tyrome Brown outside Samford Hall.

May 21, 2019

AUBURN, Alabama – After completing pharmacy school, most graduates look forward to starting their new career path, whether in a hospital, retail pharmacy, an office or a lab. Among the details in starting the new job is a new white coat, this one emblazoned with “Dr.” before their name and the logo of their new employer.

For Dr. Tyrome Brown, a member of the Harrison School of Pharmacy Class of 2019, his new coat will come along with fatigues and a uniform.

He will report to Maxwell Air Force Base this summer to begin training for his career as a pharmacist in the United States Air Force. For Brown, a native of Headland, Alabama, the career path represents an opportunity to combine his passion for helping people with an opportunity to serve his country.

“Pharmacy became a passion of mine due to the opportunity to serve as a trusted health professional,” said Brown. “I am even more passionate to be of assistance to those who sacrifice their lives for our freedom.”

Brown’s path to the Air Force came about through the Health Profession Scholarship Program (HPSP). Health professions students in the program receive scholarship assistance while pursuing their degree. In return, students participate in Active Duty Tours (ADTs) while in school and are commissioned as an officer upon graduation.

“Initially I came across the HPSP by researching pharmacy careers in uniformed services,” said Brown. “I was motivated to apply due to the additional benefits and the career development opportunities.”

With graduation in the rear-view mirror, Brown’s attention now turns to Maxwell Air Force Base and the eight-week commissioned officer training program.

“I am grateful for the opportunity to serve those who serve our country,” said Brown. “It is important to me that I will be able to use my skills and knowledge as a pharmacist while also developing myself as a leader and officer.”

When entering pharmacy school, a path in the military was not a part of the plan for Brown. After learning about the HPSP, he counseled with his retired military father-in-law and HSOP faculty members in making his decision.

“When starting pharmacy school I never imagined a career in the military. After researching the benefits, and the leadership opportunities, I became extremely interested in seeking a career in the Air Force,” said Brown. “My father-in-law (Jerry Harris) is a retired sergeant from the military and by speaking with him I increased my knowledge about the additional benefits and generational impact this career can have on my family.”

A pharmacy career in the Air Force offers a variety of practice settings, both inpatient and outpatient as each base has its own medical unit.

“Being a pharmacy officer, I will primarily be responsible for dispensing prescribed medications and helping patients understand proper usage and side effects,” said Brown. “Pharmacy officers aim to maximize positive health outcomes and improve the quality of their patients’ lives through patient counseling and careful quality control.”

With his time at Auburn behind him, Brown is thankful for his experience at the Harrison School of Pharmacy for support in this process and preparing him to take this step in his career.

“The faculty at HSOP played an integral role throughout this entire process,” said Brown. “Faculty members are always willing to help in any way possible and I truly believe they care about my success as student and a pharmacist.”

----------

About the Harrison School of Pharmacy

Auburn University’s Harrison School of Pharmacy is ranked among the top 20 percent of all pharmacy schools in the United States, according to U.S. News & World Report. Fully accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), the School offers doctoral degrees in pharmacy (Pharm.D.) and pharmaceutical sciences (Ph.D.) while also offering a master’s in pharmaceutical sciences. The School’s commitment to world-class scholarship and interdisciplinary research speaks to Auburn’s overarching Carnegie R1 designation that places Auburn among the top 100 doctoral research universities in the nation. For more information about the School, please call 334.844.8348 or visit http://pharmacy.auburn.edu.

Making Medications Work Through Innovative Research, Education and Patient Care

Last Updated: May 21, 2019