Auburn Pharmacist Spotlight: Morgan Tyus Fisher

Morgan Fisher P3 Morgan Tyus Fisher at the Walker Building in Auburn.

March 6, 2017

AUBURN UNIVERSITY, Ala.Periodically, the Harrison School of Pharmacy will highlight one of its students, faculty members, staff members or alums. This month, we will feature Morgan Fisher.

Morgan Fisher, a member of the Class of 2018, recently won the local American Pharmacists Association-Academy of Student Pharmacists (APhA-ASP) Patient Counseling Competition. By virtue of winning, she will represent HSOP at the APhA Annual Meeting, March 24-27 in San Francisco, California.

The goal of the APhA-ASP National Patient Counseling Competition is to encourage student pharmacists in their efforts toward becoming better patient educators. The competition is designed to reflect changes that are occurring in practice, to promote and encourage further professional development of the student pharmacist and to reinforce the role of the pharmacist as a health care provider and educator.

First off, tell us a little bit about yourself.
“I am a P3 from Peachtree City, GA. Pretty much my whole family went to Auburn and I grew up coming to football games every weekend, so it was a very easy decision to follow the family footsteps and come to Auburn for undergrad. And, of course, I couldn't pass up the chance to stay for a couple more years for pharmacy school.

“I actually became interested in pharmacy at a very young age, around 8 years old. I'm really not sure how or why I picked it out, but as I got older and began to figure out my interests, pharmacy was always a good fit. When I started pharmacy school, it became clear that this was the path that I was supposed to take and it has been such a blessing.”

What is involved in the Patient Counseling Competition?
“The goal of the APhA-ASP National Patient Counseling Competition is to encourage student pharmacists in their efforts toward becoming better patient educators. Local APhA-ASP chapters each hold a local competition available to members in order to choose a representative to compete in the national competition held during APhA's Annual Meeting.

“Both the local and the national competitions are similar. Students are given a practice scenario at random and are required to counsel a standardized patient on the appropriate use of the medication involved. You are given a couple of minutes to prepare and look up any information you wish before the patients comes in, and then you have five minutes to counsel the patient appropriately. Evaluations are based on both the content and style of the delivery of your counseling.”

How do you prepare for the competition?
“I actually decided to compete in the HSOP competition on a whim. Every other year when it came around, I was too nervous to try, but this year I felt confident enough in my patient counseling skills that I decided to compete if only to just get more experience with counseling on the fly.

“It is really hard to prepare without knowing what medication you will be counseling on, so I just prepared by looking at the evaluation rubric to see what content was expected in the counseling session. The P3 curriculum as well as our PPE course had really been preparing me throughout the year to talk to any patient I encountered.”

What is the next step now?
“The next step is competing in the national competition at the APhA Annual Meeting in San Francisco, California in a couple of weeks. All the local chapter representatives from around the country will compete in the first round, when we will be given a ‘simple’ scenario. The counseling sessions are recorded and judged, and the students with the top 10 scores will compete the next day when they will be given a more ‘complicated’ scenario. After those top 10 finalists compete, the winner is announced at the awards ceremony later that night.”

You are closing in on the end of your P3 year. What are your thoughts as you look toward you future career?
“Right now my career goals are pretty broad. I'm not 100 percent certain about what type of practice setting will suit me best, but wherever I end up practicing, my ultimate goal is to improve patient care and education. I truly believe that any pharmacist has the tools and knowledge to do this in any setting. Pharmacists have unique accessibility to patients that is not always available to other healthcare professionals and I look forward to using that opportunity to develop relationships with patients so that they receive the most benefit from their medication therapy.”

To learn more about the APhA-ASP Patient Counseling Competition, click here.

----------

About the Harrison School of Pharmacy
Auburn University’s Harrison School of Pharmacy is ranked among the top 20 percent of all pharmacy schools in the United States, according to U.S. News & World Report. Fully accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), the School offers doctoral degrees in pharmacy (Pharm.D.) and pharmaceutical sciences (Ph.D.) while also offering a master’s in pharmaceutical sciences. For more information about the School, please call 334.844.8348 or visit http://pharmacy.auburn.edu.

Making Medications Work Through Innovative Research, Education and Patient Care

Last Updated: March 6, 2017