HSOP Alums Named to State Hall of Fame2015 APA Hall of Fame inductees, pictured (L-R) seated: James, I. Harrison, James O. Walker; Standing: Anthony J. Brooklere, Charles E. Prickett, and John P. Beasley.
July 2, 2015
AUBURN UNIVERSITY, Ala. – Auburn had a strong presence in the inaugural Alabama Pharmacy Hall of Fame class with connections to seven of the members. The class was announced June 22 at the Alabama Pharmacy Association Annual Convention and Trade Show in Destin, Florida.
“The Pharmacy Hall of Fame Inductees have, by their work and accomplishments, brought honor to the profession of pharmacy,” states Louise Jones, APA Executive Director. “These are individuals who clearly standout from the mainstream.”
The 23-member class included the 15 founding members from when the Association was started in 1881. Of the remaining eight, five are Auburn alums with two others holding strong connections to the Auburn Pharmacy program.
Auburn graduates named to the Hall of Fame were John P. Beasley (Class of 1955) of Columbia; Anthony J. Brooklere (Class of 1958) of Adamsville; Charles E. Prickett (Class of 1961) of Hoover; and James O. Walker (Class of 1957) of Gardendale. Inducted posthumously was James R. Kuykendall (Class of 1949) of Dekalb.
Additionally, two pharmacists with strong ties to Auburn’s pharmacy program were inducted. Honored in person was James, I. Harrison, Jr. of Tuscaloosa, the namesake of the Harrison School of Pharmacy. Inducted posthumously was William W. Walker, Jr., the father of James O. Walker and the namesake of the Walker Building.
The Alabama Pharmacy Hall of Fame was established in 2015 and acknowledges achievements by those engaged in the profession of pharmacy, whether alive or deceased, and recognizes their outstanding contributions or exemplary service to pharmacy and/or to healthcare. This can be demonstrated through exceptional achievement over the life of their career in pharmacy or an exceptional act during their career, or both.
John P. Beasley
John P. Beasley is a 1955 graduate of Auburn University. He served in the Army National Guard and Army Reserve from 1953-1960. His professional career has included serving as a president of APA and the Alabama State Board of Pharmacy. With a desire to make a difference, he served as a member of the Alabama House of Representatives from 1984-1994 and was elected to the Legislative Council and as Chairman of the Business and Labor Committee. In his community, Beasley has served in the Scottish Rite, on the Board of Directors for the Bank of Columbia, as the Director of the Chamber of Commerce for Dothan, as a Shriner, and as a Worshipful Master in the Masonic Lodge. He has been an Eagle Scout, a Deacon, a Sunday School teacher, and a past president of the Lion’s Club. John has been honored with the Auburn Distinguished Alumni Award, the Bowl of Hygeia, and is an inductee in the Alabama Healthcare Hall of Fame.
Anthony J. Brooklere
Anthony J. Brooklere was born and reared in Birmingham. He graduated from Auburn in 1958 and has been practicing pharmacy for over 56 years. He and his wife, Sara Jean, have two children, both pharmacists. He and son Johnny own and operate Brooklere Pharmacy and Adamsville Pharmacy. Brooklere has held multiple offices in APA including President and is also the past president of the Jefferson County Pharmacists Association (JCPA). He has served on the Advisory Council for the Harrison School of Pharmacy as well as the State Board of Pharmacy, including a year as President. He is a founding member and past President of American Pharmacy Cooperative, Inc. (APCI) He is a charter member of the Forestdale Lions Club with 53 years of perfect attendance. His military service is filled with honors including membership in the Scabbard and Blade National Military Honor Society and as an Honor Graduate of the School of Military Medicine and Surgery. Commissioned 2nd Lieutenant in Army Artillery and Guided Missiles, he also served as Assistant Commander of Brooke Army Medical Center in Texas. Brooklere has been elected to the Adamsville City Council, served as Mayor Pro Tem of Adamsville, and is a Past President of the Forestdale Merchants Association. Brooklere has been honored numerous times including awards for Industry of the Year, Auburn Distinguished Alumni, APA Service, Phi Lambda Sigma Alumni Leadership, Lions Club Community Service, Melvin Jones Fellowship for Dedicated Humanitarian Service, Lions International Key Member, Lou Columbo Community Service, and the Bowl of Hygeia.
Charles E. Prickett
Charles E. Prickett is a 1961 graduate of Auburn University. He and his wife of 56 years, Shirley, have raised three children (two pharmacists and a nurse). He is currently the owner of two pharmacies and is one of the original founders of American Pharmacy Cooperative, Inc. (APCI) and signed their Articles of Incorporation. He has served three terms as APCI’s president and as a board member for 30 years. Prickett has held many leadership offices in APA including Trustee, Speaker, and President. JCPA also benefitted from his leadership as Director, Treasurer and President. He has served as an Adjunct Clinical Instructor for Samford’s School of Pharmacy in past years. Honors bestowed upon him include the APA King Kourtesy Award, the Bowl of Hygeia, Samford’s Preceptor of the Year, Phi Lambda Sigma’s National Leadership Award, and Auburn’s Distinguished Alumnus Award. His efforts to give back aren’t limited to his professional work, including his work with the Jefferson County Health Planning Commission, Bessemer Area Chamber of Commerce, Sertoma Club as a Troop Leader and Cub Scout Master, Eastern Valley Community Center, Aldridge Gardens, Hoover Historical Association, Fairfield Highlands Methodist Church, Shades Mountain Baptist Church, 56 years as a Mason in Flint Hill Masonic Lodge, and his governor appointment to the Alabama Historic Iron Works Commission.
James O. Walker
James O. Walker graduated from Auburn in 1957 and began work carrying on the legacy at Walker Drug Company with his father, W.W. Walker, Jr. He has served in numerous leadership roles in his community including President of the Birmingham Better Business Bureau, Secretary of the Birmingham Kiwanis Club, Sunday School teacher to 5 year olds at Canterbury Methodist Church, and Board member for Carraway Methodist Hospital for fifteen years. Walker was honored with the 2010 Bowl of Hygeia Award and the 2002 APA President’s Special Achievement Award. He retired in 2003 but has never stopped working for the profession of pharmacy. He holds a special place in his heart for students and has led the APA Scholarship Endowment Fund efforts since its inception in 2012. This committee has a goal to raise one million dollars to ensure the ability of APA to assist deserving students with their financial expenses of pharmacy school.
James R. Kuykendall
James R. Kuykendall was born in Fort Payne, Alabama, in 1927 and received his B.S. in pharmacy from Alabama Polytechnic Institute in 1949. Afterwards, he began his career as a pharmacist in Anniston, where he worked until 1950. Kuykendall entered the Navy in 1950, serving with the Marine Corps in Korea from 1953 to 1954, earning a Bronze Star. From 1954 to 1956, he worked as a pharmacist at a drug store in Fayette. In 1957, Kuykendall moved to Fort Payne, where he became store manager and chief pharmacist of a local drug store, retiring in 1993. Kuykendall worked tirelessly as the Chair of the APA History Study Committee and on the compilation of the Profiles in Alabama Pharmacy book which was published in 1974 after three years of hard work. He used his off-days and went into each of the 67 counties where he talked with county historians, librarians, and pharmacists. This book provides the history of pharmacy in Alabama from the 1800s to the early 1970s and gives the reader a glimpse of how it all began. He was also instrumental in the formation of the pharmacy museum that APA owns and is operated by the Alabama Landmarks Foundation. Kuykendall helped to organize and serve as the first president of the DeKalb County Pharmaceutical Association. He was honored with APA’s Silver Goblet for Service and the Bowl of Hygeia. It is because of the tireless efforts of Kuykendall that the APA has a record of the pharmacy profession in Alabama and that history has been preserved.
James I. Harrison, Jr.
James I. Harrison, Jr. was born and raised in Tuscaloosa. He accepted a basketball scholarship to the University of Alabama. After two years there, he transferred to Howard College to study pharmacy. In May 1956, he graduated with honors with memberships in Rho Chi, Kappa Psi, and ODK. Returning to Tuscaloosa, he began work with his father in the family’s drug store, Central Drug, in the heart of downtown Tuscaloosa. Soon a second store would be purchased on campus which he managed. In 1967, Mr. Harrison founded Harco Drug and initiated the growth and expansion of one of Alabama’s most remarkable retail operations. From the corporate office in Tuscaloosa, Harco grew to 153 stores in Alabama, Mississippi and Florida. In August of 1997, Harco merged with the Rite Aid Corporation. He is an inductee of the Tuscaloosa County Civic Hall of Fame; the Alabama Healthcare Hall of Fame; and the Alabama Business Hall of Fame. He has received the Samford University Lifetime Service Award and Distinguished Service Award; Citizen of the Year Award by the Tuscaloosa Civitan Club, Tuscaloosa Area Chamber of Commerce Lifetime Achievement Award, the NACDS Sheldon W. Fantle Lifetime Achievement Award, the APA Distinguished Service Award, the Auburn University Distinguished Service Award, the Governor’s Volunteerism Award, the Bronze Oak Wreath Award, the Pharmacist Achievement Award by Merck, and the National Human Relations Award by the American Jewish Committee, just to name a few. He has been named Employer of the Year, Entrepreneur of the Year, Man of Achievement, Family of the Year, and Retailer of the Decade. He is a philanthropist to many deserving causes including the Catholic Church, the United Way, the University of Alabama, Rural Infant Stimulation, DCH Cancer Center, and most notably to pharmacy, he established the James I. Harrison School of Pharmacy at Auburn University.
William W. Walker, Jr.
William W. Walker, Jr. owned Walker Drug Company in Birmingham, which was begun by his father in 1930, and he became the general manager in 1945. He is credited with developing a national reputation for the introduction of service and distribution innovations for the wholesale drug industry. He led Walker Drug Co. to become one of the nation’s largest, independent wholesale drug companies; Walker was instrumental in the start-up and success of many pharmacies throughout the state and in distribution of the polio vaccine in Alabama upon its release. Because of his support of both Auburn and Samford schools of pharmacy, he served on the advisory boards at both schools and was a contributor and member of the President’s Club at both universities. He has served on the boards of many health care related institutions including Carraway Methodist Medical Center, SOS Foundation, Industrial Health Council, and Druggists Service Council. He was a past president of JCPA, Southern Drug Club, and the first Alabamian to be President of the National Wholesale Druggists Association. He received the Bowl of Hygeia, APA Service Trophy, Phi Lambda Sigma Alabama Pharmacy Leadership Award, and J. Leon Lascoff Award. The Walker Building that houses the Harrison School of Pharmacy is named in his honor.
About the Harrison School of Pharmacy
Auburn University’s Harrison School of Pharmacy is ranked among the top 20 percent of all pharmacy schools in the United States, according to U.S. News & World Report. Fully accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), the School offers doctoral degrees in pharmacy (Pharm.D.) and pharmaceutical sciences (Ph.D.) while also offering a master’s in pharmaceutical sciences. In 2014, the school adopted the slogan, “Making Medications Work Through Innovative Research, Education and Patient Care.” For more information about the School, please call 334.844.8348 or visit http://pharmacy.auburn.edu.
Last Updated: March 28, 2017