Katherine Fuller Named 2016 Graduation Marshal

May 4, 2016

By Samantha Taylor

AUBURN, Ala. – When the Harrison School of Pharmacy Class of 2016 lines up to take the floor at Auburn Arena on Tuesday, May 10, it will be Katherine Fuller who has earned the honor to lead her class in their final exercise at Auburn University.

While she did not attend Auburn as an undergrad, the opportunity to further her education at an innovative and progressive pharmacy school was something she was excited about.

“Having early exposure to patient interactions through the PPE program was a huge a draw,” said Fuller. “Also, the supportive faculty members who would really challenge and inspire students to be all that they could be, and then the team based learning were all things that really attracted me to Auburn over other pharmacy schools.”

Fuller, a native of Brierfield, Alabama, can fondly recall her favorite moments when looking back at her time as an Auburn student. Football games and serving the community put the cherry on top of the four years she has spent at the Harrison School of Pharmacy, but spending time with her peers in team rooms, volunteering at various health fairs and competing at 3 national clinical skills competitions are among her favorites.

“Auburn has been such a fun experience,” said Fuller, “One of my best memories was in my P2 year, being in a team with people where we had become friends as P1s. It was all just a great time studying, hanging out, and throwing birthday parties for each other.”

Fuller is focused on clinical pharmacy and has been accepted to a residency program at the University of New Mexico Hospital after graduation. Fuller hopes the residency will help narrow down her interests and increase her experience. Long-term, she would like to serve the underserved and get involved in education.

“I’m interested in ambulatory care and solid organ transplant and I was looking for a residency that will kind of differentiate which of those two interests I will pursue long term,” said Fuller. “I have always had a passion for helping individuals and serving them but also being the best that I personally can be so clinical pharmacy is really that fit for me.”

Doing her residency in a place like New Mexico, a state that gives pharmacists prescriptive authority, is something she is looking forward to.

“New Mexico is one of very few states in the nation where pharmacists have prescriptive authority and in this learning environment I can not only complete a residency but have that increased level of autonomy which I feel would enhance my learning experience,” said Fuller. “This program also works with an indigent population, so I know from my experiences here at Auburn and earlier in my life that I get a huge sense of satisfaction from working with some of the poorest of the poor.”

After her residency, Fuller would like to complete a PGY-2 year and then get involved in pharmacy education, either as a faculty member or a preceptor.

As for being selected as the Graduation Marshal, Fuller is looking forward to the opportunity to represent her class in this crowning moment.

“I’m very, very excited and honored. I was so surprised when the administration of the school told me that I had been selected because there are a lot of truly deserving people,” said Fuller. “But, for me it’s that an opportunity to represent my class and to be that image of what everybody has worked hard to achieve.”

HSOP’s graduation is set for Tuesday, May 10 at 10 a.m., at Auburn Arena. More Information can be found on the HSOP Website at http://www.auburn.edu/academic/pharmacy/about/graduation.html.

----------

About the Harrison School of Pharmacy
Auburn University’s Harrison School of Pharmacy is ranked among the top 20 percent of all pharmacy schools in the United States, according to U.S. News & World Report. Fully accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), the School offers doctoral degrees in pharmacy (Pharm.D.) and pharmaceutical sciences (Ph.D.) while also offering a master’s in pharmaceutical sciences. For more information about the School, please call 334.844.8348 or visit http://pharmacy.auburn.edu.

Making Medications Work Through Innovative Research, Education and Patient Care

Last Updated: May 4, 2016