Auburn Pharmacist Spotlight: Erin McCreary

Erin McCreary Erin McCreary gives the student address at the 2015 Commencement Ceremony

May 14, 2015

AUBURN UNIVERSITY, Ala. – Periodically, the Harrison School of Pharmacy will highlight one of its students, faculty members, staff members or alums. For May, we will get to know recent graduate Erin McCreary.

Erin was one of 133 Pharm.D. students that received their degree on May 12, 2015. Erin served as HSOP Student Council President during the 2013-14 school year and gave the student address at graduation. She will now head to Wisconsin where she has accepted a Pharmacy Practice Residency at the University of Wisconsin.

Graduation Day is finally here! What does it mean to you to reach this point after seven years in college?
“It still doesn't seem real, and it means that my classmates and I have finally accomplished our most significant life goal to date. I know it sounds cliché, but time does absolutely fly and my time at Auburn was no exception. Choosing Auburn was the greatest decision I've ever made and it is bittersweet to be leaving this place and the people I have met throughout my time here. However, I am unbelievably excited to finally be able to practice and cannot wait for what lies ahead.”

What are your plans after graduation?
“I am moving to Madison, Wisconsin to work at the University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, where I will complete a PGY-1 Pharmacy Practice Residency. This is a general year of training, after which I hope to complete a PGY-2 specialty year in either Infectious Diseases, Solid Organ Transplant, or Oncology.”

What is your favorite memory from your time at HSOP?
“There are countless experiences that I am grateful for, but the moments I will look back and cherish the most are the nights hanging out in team rooms with my friends: staying up way too late, studying far too little, eating the most random assortment of junk food, and just helping each other through school and life. I will also miss my PPE patient and the weekly visits to her home.”

What do you think the feeling will be like when you cross the stage and shake hands with Dean Evans?
“I think the most conscious thought in my head at that point will be, ‘Don't trip.’ The commencement ceremony as a whole is meaningful and powerful; a celebration of our hard work to date and the beginning of the rest of our lives. I think it will feel awesome all-around, but I think the moment that will impact me the most is when one of the faculty addresses me as ‘Doctor’ for the first time.”

What faculty members made the biggest impact on you in your time at HSOP, and how?
“I honestly couldn't begin to list them, as so many have had an incredible influence on me. We are so blessed at Auburn to have amazing teachers throughout the curriculum and across all of our departments. They inspire me daily to extend the frontiers of pharmacy and to never stop learning. My ultimate goal is to teach one day, and I cannot thank them enough for their guidance and support over the past four years.”

----------

About the Harrison School of Pharmacy
Auburn University’s Harrison School of Pharmacy is ranked among the top 20 percent of all pharmacy schools in the United States, according to U.S. News & World Report. Fully accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), the School offers doctoral degrees in pharmacy (Pharm.D.) and pharmaceutical sciences (Ph.D.) while also offering a master’s in pharmaceutical sciences. In 2014, the school adopted the slogan, “Making Medications Work Through Innovative Research, Education and Patient Care.” For more information about the School, please call 334.844.8348 or visit http://pharmacy.auburn.edu.

Last Updated: March 27, 2017