Auburn Pharmacist Spotlight: Tyler Dalton

Tyler Dalton, Charles Barkley and Joe Dalton Tyler Dalton (left) with his father, Joe (right), and Auburn legend Charles Barkley at the Auburn men's basketball team's win over Missouri on Jan. 10. Joe graduated from Auburn with his B.S. in Pharmacy in 1982. He is currently a member of HSOP's Dean's Advisory Council and just completed a term as President of the Alabama Pharmacy Association.

Jan. 14, 2015

AUBURN UNIVERSITY, Ala. – Periodically, the Harrison School of Pharmacy will highlight one of its students, faculty members, staff members or alums. For January, we will get to know Tyler Dalton, the current vice president of the HSOP Student Council and a legacy Auburn pharmacy student.

You are halfway through your P3 year here at the Harrison School of Pharmacy. What has your experience been like as part of the school and how does it feel to be in the home stretch now?
My experience thus far at HSOP has been an incredible journey, and I can attest that to one thing: a strong community of peers and friends. Spending the past three years with so many inspiring and strong individuals, who continually care for those around them, is the main reason I’m standing here today. My classmates continually challenge me, encouraging me to work harder and continually strive for success.

The past three years have come and gone, success and failures, it is hard to believe we are nearing the final stages of pharmacy school. It a rewarding feeling looking back the progress I’ve made both personally and academically over the past few years, but even more exciting looking ahead and the endless possibilities available.

You are president of Auburn’s NCPA chapter, one that just took several awards at the NCPA Annual Meeting, including runner-up for Chapter of the Year and Health and Wellness Challenge champions. What does it mean to you for the chapter to be achieving these things on the national level and what does it say about HSOP?
First and foremost, I am extremely proud of the many accomplishments of our chapter. Over the past few years, strong leadership has proven to be one of the driving forces behind our chapters continued success. As we have grown to the largest chapter in the nation, our members continue to go above and beyond for our community outreach events, while managing a challenging academic schedule.

As a P3, it is exciting to see students leadership skills grow and mature over the years. Chapter members returned home from our conference in Austin electric and ready to hit the ground running with new ideas and events.

Last summer you completed an internship at Vanderbilt University Hospital. What was that experience like and what did you take away from it?
Since I did not have any prior hospital experience, my goals of the internship were to gain a broad understanding of the multiple roles for hospital pharmacists. While at Vanderbilt, I was able to accomplish that goal and spent time with health care teams (attending physicians, residents, pharmacists) round in specialty units such as Hematology/Oncology, Burn and Critical Care, but my personal favorite, Infectious Disease. Within these teams, I was able to see firsthand physicians and pharmacists depending upon each other’s knowledge to make important decisions.

Aside from my clinical rotations, a portion of time was spent working with the purchasing and inventory department. This was an interesting opportunity, since I was able to see the managerial side of negotiating contracts and purchasing medications for our 4 hospitals (VUH, Children’s, VA, Psychiatric hospital).

Lastly, I was able to work with discharge patients counseling them on their anticoagulation medications. Initially, I had some reservations about counseling the patients one-on-one, but after a few weeks it felt very natural. Ultimately, I think the most beneficial lesson I took away from my time at vandy, is that regardless how much education you have or how long you spend in school, there will always be times when you do not know something. When that time comes, do not be afraid to stop and ask for help, it will be much easier in the long run. Trust me.

You not only come from a Pharmacy Family, but you come from an Auburn Pharmacy Family. Talk about all the pharmacists in your family and what it means for you to continue that tradition?
My great grandfather started Dalton Drug Company in 1903 and the store remained in my family for four generations and over 112 years. Not only is it a huge honor to graduate with a doctorate of pharmacy degree in 14 months, but more so that I have a tremendous legacy to fulfill following my family tradition. As I mentioned, I am currently a fourth generation and the seventh member of my family to become a pharmacist.

Our family has seen pharmacy practice evolve throughout the generations and even now, as it seems to be changing more than ever. The days of your typical “druggist” putting pills in the bottle, seem to be a thing of the past, as pharmacist continue to emphasize the importance of proper patient education. At the end of the day, patient education and understand is one of the most important aspects of our jobs. I look forward to continuing my family tradition in of field of pharmacy, wherever that may lead me.

You are a pretty avid Auburn Basketball fan. What are your thoughts on Coach Bruce Pearl and how the season is going so far?
I am extremely excited to have Coach Pearl and his staff leading the Auburn Men's Basketball team, including assistant coach Harris Adler, who is also a pharmacist. Coach Pearl has a proven track record for success, and that remains true as he continues to develop our program. This past weekend, the Auburn Tigers defeated the Missouri Tigers (85-79) for our first SEC victory of the year with and near packed house.

Coach Pearl is a man of the people and a great asset for Auburn, and his presence can be seen both on and off the court. After each game you can find him high-fiving fans and thanking everyone for attending and when he is not coaching, you can find him on campus speaking with various groups. I’m excited to have Coach Pearl and his staff and looking forward to many more successful seasons.

----------

About the Harrison School of Pharmacy
Auburn University’s Harrison School of Pharmacy is ranked among the top 20 percent of all pharmacy schools in the United States, according to U.S. News & World Report. Fully accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), the School offers doctoral degrees in pharmacy (Pharm.D.) and pharmaceutical sciences (Ph.D.) while also offering a master’s in pharmaceutical sciences. In 2014, the school adopted the slogan, “Making Medications Work Through Innovative Research, Education and Patient Care.” For more information about the School, please call 334.844.8348 or visit http://pharmacy.auburn.edu.

Last Updated: March 27, 2017