B.Pharm. - Uyo, 2010
- Effectiveness of social and behavioral interventions in the management of chronic diseases
- Impact of tailored and structured health behavior change interventions in modifying self-care behaviors among patients living with diabetes
- Improving patient-provider communication, and cultural sensitivity in a culturally diverse patient population
- Effectiveness of Motivational Interviewing as a communication tool box for engaging patients in health behavior change
My research focus lies in the broad domain of social and behavioral interventions, and its impact on health behavior change. Specifically, how to incorporate communication skills like Motivational Interviewing into patient-provider communications with the aim of modifying health behaviors. My dissertation explores the clinical utility of a structured, brief pharmacist-led Motivational Interviewing intervention in modifying medication taking behavior and insulin use among patients living with type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes.
- Ekong, G., & Kavookjian, J. (2015). Motivational interviewing and outcomes in adults with type 2 diabetes: A systematic review. Patient education and counseling.
- Yasser A., Kavookjian J., Ekong G. (2015). The associations between health beliefs and medication adherence among diabetes patients in Saudi Arabia. Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy.
Select Poster Citations
- Kavookjian J, Ekong G. Patient Satisfaction with Diabetes Education (PSDE): Development and validation of a patient satisfaction measure. Abstract submitted for poster presentation at the annual meeting of AADE, San Diego, CA, August, 2016.
- Ekong G, Kavookjian J. Health Literacy Awareness in Student Pharmacists: Association with Cultural Sensitivity. Abstract accepted for poster presentation at the AACP annual meeting, Anaheim, CA, July, 2016.
- Ekong, G, Kavookjian, J. Effects of motivational interviewing on outcomes in adults with type 2 diabetes: A systematic review. Poster presented at the American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE) annual meeting, New Orleans, LA, August, 2015.
- Alatawi Y, Kavookjian J, Ekong G. The association between health beliefs and medication adherence among diabetes patients in Saudi Arabia. Poster presented at AADE annual meeting, New Orleans, LA, August, 2015.
- Paratore P, Parsons A, Kavookjian J, Ekong G. Patient satisfaction with the PPE program and patient report of depressive symptoms and medication-taking: A work in progress. Poster presented at the Harrison School of Pharmacy Research Day, Auburn University, AL, March, 2015.