Harrison School of Pharmacy
Faculty and Staff Directory
C. Edward Chou
Department: Health Outcomes Research and Policy
Harrison School of Pharmacy
039 James E. Foy Hall
Auburn, AL 36849
- B.S., Pharmacy - National Taiwan University
- M.S., Pharmaceutical Sciences - National Taiwan University
- M.S., Biostatistics - Michigan
- Ph.D., Social & Administrative Sciences - Wisconsin
Dr. Chou’s research focuses on evaluating the disease burden and impact of health-related policies or programs on healthcare access, utilization, and outcomes among vulnerable populations. He conducts outcomes research using health care administrative claims databases, national health survey databases, and hospital accounting data. His current project also applies implementation science in community-based participatory research.
Dr. Chou’s work has been funded by the National Institutes of Health, the Agency for Health Care Research and Quality, New York State Health Foundation & Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. His research has been published in New England Journal of Medicine, Health Affairs, Medical Care, Psychiatric Services, Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety etc.
Current Funded Research
07/2015 – 06/2020
National Institutes of Health
Machine learning for adverse drug events
09/2015 – 08/2019
United States Food and Drug Administration
Comparative surveillance of generic drugs by machine learning
09/2014 – 06/2019
National Institutes of Health/National Institute on Aging
Evaluating a Self-Care Innovation for Older Adults using Agent-Based Modeling
- Li C, Hansen RA, Chou C, Calderón AI, Qian J. Trends in botanical dietary supplement use among US adults by cancer status: NHANES 1999-2014. Cancer. 2017 Dec 6. [Epub ahead of print]
- Davis AM, Taitel MS, Jiang J, Qato DM, Peek ME, Chou C, Huang ES. A national assessment of medication adherence to statins by the racial composition of neighborhoods. Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities. 2017 Jun;4(3):462-471.
- Lin Wu FL, Wang J, Ho W, Chou C, Wu YJ Choo DW, Wang YW, Chen PY, Chien KL, Lin ZF. Effectiveness of a combination of ezetimibe and statins in patients with acute coronary syndrome and multiple comorbidities: A 6-year population-based cohort study. International Journal of Cardiology. 2017 Apr 15;233:43-51.
- Ahuja V, Chou C. Novel therapeutics for diabetes: uptake, usage trends, and comparative effectiveness. Current Diabetes Reports. 2016;16(6):47. PMID: 27076180.
- Laiteerapong N, Fairchild PC, Chou C, Chin MH, Huang ES. Revisiting disparities in quality of care among US adults with diabetes in the era of individualized care, NHANES 2007-2010. Medical Care. 2015;53(1):25-31.
- Clark BL, Hou J, Chou C, Huang ES, Conti RM. The 340B discount program: outpatient prescription dispensing patterns through contract pharmacies in 2012. Health Affairs (Millwood). 2014;33(11):2012-7.
- Nundy S, Dick JJ, Chou C, Nocon RS, Chin MH, Peek ME. Mobile phone diabetes project led to improved glycemic control and net savings for Chicago plan participants. Health Affairs (Millwood). 2014;33(2):265-72.
- Young GJ, Rickles NM, Chou C, Raver EW. Socioeconomic characteristics of enrollees appear to influence performance sores for Medicare Part D contractors. Health Affairs (Millwood). 2014;33(1):140-146.
- Young GJ, Chou C, Alexander JA, Lee D, Raver EW. The provision of community benefits among tax exempt hospitals: A national assessment. New England Journal of Medicine. 2013;368(16):1519-27.
- Chou C, Tulolo A, Raver EW, Hsu CH, Young GJ. Effect of race and health insurance on health disparities: Results from the National Health Interview Survey 2010. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved. 2013;24(3):1353-63.
- HORP 7820 Research Methods and Design in Health Science I
- HORP 7520 Social and Behavioral Theory in Health
- HORP 7950, 8950 Graduate Seminar
- PYDI 9960 Special Problems
- PYPD 9320, 9326 Longitudinal Experience I
- PYPD 9330, 9336 Longitudinal Experience II
- PYPD Pharmacy Practice Experiences I-VI
Graduate Students Advised
Gladys Ekong (PhD candidate)
Heba Aref (MS student)
Yasser Alatawi (PhD candidate)
Ning Cheng (PhD candidate)
Nan Huo (PhD student)
Ruth Jeminiwa (PhD student)
Last Updated: April 6, 2018