Social Security Information

On-Campus Employment

An F-1 student requesting an SSN for on-campus employment must now prove he or she has (or has been offered) an on-campus job and must show evidence of that employment or an SSN will not be assigned. This is in addition to providing evidence of age, identity, a SEVIS-generated Form I-20 A-B, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status, and a current Form I-94, Arrival- Departure Record, showing F-1 nonimmigrant status.

The following two documents are required as evidence of F-1 student on-campus employment only. It is not a requirement for F-1 students for curricular practical training (CPT) or those students who have an employment authorization document (EAD) from DHS.

  1. A letter – typed or handwritten – on school letterhead from the designated school official (DSO) that identifies the:
    • Student by name,
    • On-campus employer (e.g., book store, cafeteria, biology department, library), and
    • Nature of the on-campus employment (e.g., waiting tables in the cafeteria, stocking shelves in the library, monitoring lab experiments, receiving a scholarship or reduced tuition fees in exchange for teaching or other services, etc.).

      This letter must include the DSO's original signature, printed/typed name, telephone number and date. The letter can be a form letter as long as the identifying information about the specific student, the student's employer and type of employment, and the DSO signature are original entries by the DSO. The SSA cannot accept a letter that does not have an original DSO signature or that lists more than one student.

      In lieu of this separate letter, a DSO may sign off on the information provided in the letter from the employer (explained below). The sign-off must contain the DSO's signature, printed name, telephone number and date.
  2. A recently-issued pay slip or pay stub from the F-1 student's employer. If the student does not have a pay slip or stub, the student must provide a letter from the employer on the employer's letterhead that provides employment verification, namely:
    • Identity of student employee,
    • Nature of job the student is, or will be, engaged in,
    • Anticipated or actual employment start date,
    • Number of hours the student is expected to work,
    • Employer identification number (EIN),
    • Employer contact information, including the telephone number and the name of the F-1 student's immediate supervisor,
    • Original signature and signatory's title,
    • Date.

A sample letter is attached for your convenience. If the employer is the DSO, the letter verifying employment must come from a separate source, e.g., the department or payroll official that issues the paycheck and is responsible for wage reporting.

Please note: all documents must be originals. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.

Last Updated: May 20, 2013