Inviting Visiting Scholars

J-1 Visiting Scholars and Professors

The J-1 visa is for individuals who are coming to the U.S. for a short-term program to participate in the following activities:

  • Research
  • Training
  • Teaching
  • Observing
  • Consulting

The Office of International Programs at AU authorize documents only for professors, research scholars, short-term scholars and specialists under the J classification that will engage in the activities listed above. Hosting an international visitor for these activities makes the visitor, the department and AU a participant in the Department of State’s J Exchange Visitor Program. The DS-2019 is the document issued by the Office of International Programs to any person that has been approved to participate in the J program. For more information on how to invite an international visitor to come to AU as a J-1 Exchange Visitor Program participant please read and review the DS-2019 Request Form.

The primary purpose of the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program is to foster international exchanges; therefore, the invited visitor must be affiliate in some manner with a partner institution or organization abroad. This program is to not be used solely for the purpose of employment. Potential hosts seeking to employ a full-time Postdoctoral Fellow, Research Fellow, or any other faculty position should see the information about the H-1B visa classification.

When inviting a J-1 visa holder who is sponsored by an outside agency/university, please contact the Research Security Officer, Georgia White for more information

Last Updated: May 2, 2016