Alumni and George W. Peake Jr. Professor, Forest Economics and Policy
BS South-central Forestry University, Forestry
MS Beijing Forestry University, Forest Economics
PhD University of British Columbia, Forest Economics
Alumni and George W. Peake Professor of Forest Economics and Policy - 2011 -
- Assistant/Associate/Full Professor 1994-2011 at Auburn University conducting research on property rights and environmental
regulations (Endangered Species Act, ESA), assessing ESA related policy proposals, US-Canada forest products trade,
government policy and forest industry investment location, forest finance.
- Policy Analyst, Ministry of Forestry, Beijing.
- Research Assistant, Lakehead University School of Forestry.
Institutional timberland investment
- Urbanization, public taxation policy, and forest land use in the southern U.S.
- Policy Process
- Determinants of foreign direct investment in forest industry
- Forest products trade
- International forestry
- Daowei's Current CV & Homepage
Zhang, D., X. Sun, B. Butler, and J. Prestemon. 2015. Harvesting Choices and Timber Supply among Landowners in the Southern
United States. Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Sun, X., D. Zhang, and B. Butler. 2015. Timberland Ownerships and Reforestation in the Southern United States. Forest Science
Babula, R.A., D. Zhang, and J.P. Rothenberg. 2014. A Dynamic Model of Monthly Demand Model of U.S. Produced Softwood Lumber
with a Futures Market Linkage, In Enviromental and Agricultural Reasearch Summaries. (ed. Lucille T. Cacioppo),
Volume 8. Nova Publishers.
- Li, Y., and D. Zhang. 2014. Industrial Timberland Ownership and Financial Performance of U.S. Forest Products Firms.
Forest Science 60(3): 569-578.
- Zhang, D., and A. Stenger. 2014. Timber Insurance: Perspectives from A Legal Case and A Review of Practices in the
World. New Zealand Journal of Forest Research 44(Suppl 1): S9.
- Zhang, D., and A. Stenger. 2014. Value and Valuation of Forest Ecosystem Services. Journal of Environmental Economics
and Policy. DOI: 10.1080/21606544.2014.980852.
- Zhang, L., Z. Zhang, K. Zhang, Z. Zhang, X. Chen, S. Zhou, G. Dai, and D. Zhang. 2014. Long-term Timber Supply from
State-owned Forests in Northeastern China. International Forestry Review 16(3): 310-318.
- Zhang, D. 2013. The Political Economy in Forest Policy-making: Economic Efficiency and Beyond. P. 165-181. in S.
Kant (ed.) Post-Faustmann Forest Resource Economics: New Frontiers of Natural Resource Economics. Springer.
- Liu, J., C. He, L. Meng, Y. Gong, and D. Zhang (translators). 2013. Forest Economics (Chinese version, by Zhang and
Pearse and originally published by UBC Press 2011). China Forestry Publishing House.
- Zhang, D., L. Meng, and M. Polyakov. 2013. Determinants of the Prices of Bare Forestlands and Pre-merchantable Timber
Stands: A Spatial Hedonic Study. Forest Science 59(4): 400-406.
- Nagubadi, R., and D. Zhang. 2013. U.S. Imports for Canadian Softwood Lumber in the Context of Trade Dispute: A Co-integration
Approach. Forest Science 59(5): 517-523.
- Meng, L., and D. Zhang. 2013. Impacts of Property Tax on Land Use Change Decisions in Georgia. Urban Ecosystems 16:
- Harou, P., C. Cheng, and D. Zhang. 2013. The Alternate Test in Forestry. Forest Policy and Economics 34: 31-46.
- Kant, S., S. Wang, P. Deegen, M. Hostettler, R. von Detten, T. Howard, D. Laband, C. Montgomery, N. Robert, W. Sekot,
G. Valatin, and D. Zhang. 2013. New Frontiers in Forest Economics.
- Zhang, D. 2012.The Political Economy in Forest Policy-making: Economic Efficiency and Beyond. In S. Kant (ed.) Post-Faustmann
Forest Resource Economics: New Frontiers of Natural Resource Economics. Springer.
- Zhang, D., B. Butler, and R. Nagubadi. 2012. Institutional Timberland Ownership in the U.S. South, Magnitude, Location,
Dynamics, and Management. Journal of Forestry 110 (7): 355-361.
- Godwin, Joseph, and D. Zhang. 2012. Political Pressure: An Examination of U.S. Senators' Actions in Restricting Canadian
Softwood Lumber Imports. Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics. 60 (2): 263-274.
- Meng, L., and D. Zhang. 2012. Impacts of Property Tax on Land Use Change Decisions in Georgia. Urban Ecosystems.
- Nagubadi, R., and D. Zhang. 2011. Bilateral Foreign Direct Investment in Forest Industry between the U. S. and Canada.
Forest Policy and Economics 13(5): 338-344.
- Sun, Xing, and D. Zhang. 2011. An Event Analysis of Industrial Timberland Sales on Shareholder Values of Major U.S.
Forest Products Firms. Forest Policy and Economics 13(5): 396-401.
- Majumdar, S., D. Zhang, and Y. Zhang. 2011. Estimating Regional Softwood Lumber Supply in the United States Using
Seemingly Unrelated Regression. Forest Products Journal 60(7/8): 709-714.
- Zhang, D., and M. Polyakov. 2010. The Geographical Distribution of Plantation Forests and Land Resources Potentially
Available for Pine Plantation in the U.S. South. Biomass and Bioenery 34(12):1631-1642.
- Nagubadi, R., and D. Zhang. 2010. Urbanization Effects of Timberland Ownership Class: A Modified Multinomial Logit
Analysis. Southern Journal of Applied Forestry 34(3):101-109.
- Nagubadi, R., H. Thompson, and D. Zhang. 2009. Productivity, Imports, and Softwood Lumber Dispute Phases. International
Trade Journal 23(3): 301-324.
- Zhang, D., and Y. Li. 2009. Forest Endowment, Logging Restrictions, and China's Wood Products Trade. China Economic
Review 20: 46-53.
- Polyakov, M., and D. Zhang. 2008. Population Gravity and Land Use Change at Watershed Level. Journal of Agricultural
and Applied Economics 40(2): 649-666.
- Li, Y., D. Zhang, and R. Nagubadi. 2008. Productivity in the U.S. and Canadian Sawmill Industries: A Nonparametric
Programming Analysis. Forest Products Journal 58(12): 33-40.
- Nagubadi, R., and D. Zhang. 2008. Foreign direct investment outflows in the forest products industry: the case of
the United States and Japan. International Forestry Review 10(4): 632-640.
- Zhang, D., H. Wang, and J. Cao. 2008. An Analysis of China's Forest Resource Valuation Guidelines: In Comparison
and Contrast with A Legal Case in the United States. Forest Economics (in Chinese) 189: 74-79.
- Li, Y., and D. Zhang. 2008. A Spatial Panel Data Analysis of Tree Planting in the U.S. South. Southern Journal of
. 31(4): 175-182.
- Polyakov. M., and D. Zhang. 2007. Property Tax and Land Use Changes. Land Economics, 84(3): 396-408.
- Zhang, D., and E. Owiredu. 2007. Land Tenure, Market and the Establishment of Forest Plantations in Ghana. Forest
Policy and Economics
- Nagubadi, R., and D. Zhang. 2006. Production Structure and Input Substitution in Canadian Sawmill and Wood Preservation
Industry. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 36: 3007-3014.
- Zhang, D., and R. Nagubadi. 2006. Total Factor Productivity Growth in Sawmills and Wood Preservation Industry in
the U.S. and Canada: A Comparative Study. Forest Science 52(5): 511-521.
- Li, Y., and D. Zhang. 2006. Incidence of the 1996 U.S.-Canada Softwood Lumber Agreement among Landowners, Loggers,
and Lumber Manufacturers in the U.S. South. Forest Science: 52(4): 422-431.
- Nagubadi, R., and D. Zhang. 2006. Competitiveness in the Sawmills and Wood Preservation Industry in the United States
and Canada. Forest Science 52(4):340-352.
- Sun, C., and D. Zhang. 2006. Timber Harvesting Margins in the South U.S.: A Temporal and Spatial Analysis. Forest
Science 52(2): 273-280.
- Laband, D., and D. Zhang. 2006. Citations, Publications, and Perceptions-Based Rankings of the Research Impact of
North American Forestry Programs. Journal of Forestry 104(5): 254-261.
- Zhang, D., J. Liu, J. Granskog, and J. Gan. 1998. China: Changing Wood Products Markets. Forest Products Journal
49 (6): 14-20.
- Zhang, D., S. Warren, and C. Bailey. 1998. The Role of Assistance Foresters on Nonindustrial Private Forest Management:
Landowners' Perspective. Southern Journal of Applied Forestry 22 (2): 101-05.
- Binkley, C.S., and D. Zhang. 1998. The Impact of Timber-Fee Increases on B.C. Forest Products Companies: An Economic
and Policy Analysis. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 28 (4): 617-35.
- Zhang, D. and P.H. Pearse. 1997. the influence of the form of tenure on reforestation in British Columbia. Forest
Ecology and Management,
- Zhang, D. 1997. Inward and Outward Foreign Investment: The Case of U.S. Forest Industry. Forest Products Journal
47 (5): 29-35.
- Zhang, D. and P.H. Pearse.1996. Differences in silvicultural investment under various types of forest tenure in British
Columbia. Forest Science,
- Zhang, D. 1996. State Property Rights Laws: What, Where, And How? Journal of Forestry 94 (4): 10-15.
Send mail to FPC@auburn.edu
with questions or comments about this web site.